Thread: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired?

1. #1 Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    Well, I often used to ask the same question.

WARNING!-
    If you do not have any patience or ability to stare at a diagram for hours on end, do not, I repeat, DO NOT attempt to rebuild your transmission.

Last weekend I decided to make a road run in my rig. 1100 miles to be exact. This was the first long run on the highway since the 30 and 35 were under it. I rode from Mississippi to Indiana with no issues. 40" tires humming at 70 mph will put anyone to sleep, so be warned. On the way back I came into West Memphis and heard a whinning and felt a little vibration. It was not constant and occured every once and a while. I stopped 3 times in Memphis to try to diagnose the problem. I could not figure out where the noise was comming from. I drove the rig another 120 miles and it did it once for maybe 30 seconds. Pulled into my driveway and shut it down. The next day I thought I would drive it to work. Fired it up and it started with no issues. I jumped in with coffee in hand and "wow", no reverse. I then called a couple of local shops and got quotes like " $2200-$2600". I decided, " you know what? I built this whole rig and the only thing that I have not done was the trans". I thought how hard can it be? I ordered a rebuild kit w/steels, a shift kit (since I was in there), and a upgraded stage 2 torque converter (towing). I then pulled the tranfer case and then pulled the transmission. I started into the trans thinking it had to be in the reverse drum. When I dropped the pan I saw what appeared to be 2 pieces of a snap ring. Ok, something has let go. Took the overdrive unit off and set it aside and noticed a bigger piece between the port from the overdrive unit to the main housing. Well, I've got a rebuild kit, so let's do this. Pulled everything down in the main housing and the direct drive and reverse drive clutches looked like almost brand new. I could actually see some of the factory stamping on them. Steels looked fine too. Well, once agin I'm in here so rebuild it! Finished putting together the front housing and started tearing down the overdrive " Whoa!" found it! One of the snap rings had seperated and aloowed the backing plate on the overdrive unit to get into the face of the drum. Probelm solved right? Not so fast... These parts are not included in the rebuild kit. I will have to find them somewhere else. I made a call to PATC in Bossier, LA. They send me back to the shop to talk to a tech. I started to explain my situation and he ended up explaining to me what happened before I finished. He told me, "Yep, not a surprise, and not the first one I've seen.", " Do you want to fix the problem forever?" I thought, "well, that's kinda a stupid question, Yeah!". He told me about the similairties in the Dodge transmissions and gave me all the part #'s I needed to make this into a 1 ton+ overdrive. I ordered this special kit just to make sure I never have to deal with another transmission issue on this rig. The price has been pretty steep even to do it myself, and it's still not back together yet. Here's the break down so far.

Rebuild kit with steels - $150
    Shift Kit - $50
    Stage 2 torque Converter - $275
    1 ton overdrive kit - $160
    Pressure plate - $30
    Damn Snap ring that caused this - $8
    Manual - $24

I'm already at $697!!!!!

The labor on this this is intense! I have spent about 16 hours on it. Most trans shops quote 4-5 hours for it. Yes, If your good you get paid the big bucks. I wanted to build this thing as tough as I can because, I never want to do this again.................Ever!

Pics coming soon!
    I'm still waiting on the inexpensive shit to break!!!

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

2. #2 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Post up parn numbers as well if you have them available
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

3. #3 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    NOTE: All items are for a 42re 4x4 transmission out of a 2002. Your application could be different. Don't blame me when things go wrong. I will try to update as things come about.

Manual (don't even attept without) From A.R. Transmission, Inc. out of Fresno, CA
    Part # 12Y04

Rebuild Kit from CT powertrain out of Los Angeles, CA.
    Part # (coming when I get home)

Stage 2 torque Converter from Alpine Trans Supply out of Aspen, CO Phone #: 623-879-8900

Shift Kit from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # K500-618-L

1 Ton+ overdrive Kit from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # C16
    # PP7
    # 23C

Snap ring that broke (aka-wave snap ring)from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # 23WSR

Pressure back plate that bit the dust after mechanical failure from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # 8BP

'02 WJ with 60's, locked, full hydo, ORI's, on 40's, and still have air conditioning!

4. #4 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    thanks for the specs! I had my spare 42RE rebuilt by a friend (ex tranny builder) for $575 but I didn't get all the fancy upgrades you did. can't wait for the pics!
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

5. #5 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    what model tranny did you rebuild?????
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

6. #6 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    Quote Originally Posted by indy242003 View Post
    NOTE: All items are for a 42re 4x4 transmission out of a 2002. Your application could be different. Don't blame me when things go wrong. I will try to update as things come about.

Manual (don't even attept without) From A.R. Transmission, Inc. out of Fresno, CA
    Part # 12Y04

Rebuild Kit from CT powertrain out of Los Angeles, CA.

Stage 2 torque Converter from Alpine Trans Supply out of Aspen, CO Phone #: 623-879-8900

Shift Kit from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # K500-618-L

1 Ton+ overdrive Kit from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # C16
    # PP7
    # 23C

Snap ring that broke (aka-wave snap ring)from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # 23WSR

Pressure back plate that bit the dust after mechanical failure from PATC out of Bossier, LA
    Part # 8BP

Sorry, you must have missed that. Does that help?

Haha, Just messin' with ya.
    Last edited by indy242003; 08-12-2008 at 11:13 PM.

7. #7 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    Yeah the parts aren't cheap. I have about $2500 of parts into the 47RE on my truck, and could have easily spent another $1500 to make it completely "bulletproof"
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

8. #8 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    hahah i was looking for it in the 1st post you made ,
    99 WJ, D60/14B, 5.38s, 203/D300, 39.5"s, H1s

It was a jeep thing, but that shit broke

9. #9 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    Update:

The trans has been in and I have put about 2000 miles on it. Shifts hard, no slipping between shifts. RPMS are higher between shifts. Overall, I am pleased with the rebuild. I had a bunch of mishaps when ordering parts. So, If you need a redline stage 2 TC or a full set of upgraded overdrive clutches, all brand new in the box, PM me.

10. #10 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    trannys are easy to rebuild maybe itss cause i did it for 6 weeks hmmm????
    Quote Originally Posted by greengc4x4 View Post
    I wheeled my 97 on a BB more than your one ton ZJ (maxx's)will ever see the trails

11. #11 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    Quote Originally Posted by 96greenxjjeep View Post
    trannys are easy to rebuild maybe itss cause i did it for 6 weeks hmmm????

I like to think that I can do about anything that needs to be done on my rig, but I will tell you this, yes, I did rebuild my transmission. Yes, it was a pain in the ass. I feel that I did a good job and it works well. Would I do it again? HELL NO!!! I now know why the cost is what it is to rebuild a tranny. Bottom line........... It's worth it. There is a ton of things going on inside your transmission, and if you miss one thing, intall something incorrectly, or just over look the smallest detail, your efforts will be in vain, and your wallet will become thinner in a hurry. If you feel that you would like to take on this task, it would be in your best interest to get someone that has done one (or several) to over see your work. Oh yeah, and good luck.

12. #12 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    I've done everything but autos, lil intimidated. Its about that time though, never hurts to expand your knowledge. And what better way? I always find myself say "wow that was a lot easier than I thought it would be" when I finish something new. Thanx for the info!
    1996 ZJ 4.0 42RE NP242 Nothing Special. Custom 4" LA spring 10'

93 YJ 383 on 'pane 405hp/435tq NV4500 6.34:1 231/300 10.88:1 Locked Tons 5.38's 40's 108" WB

13. #13 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Around here a stock rebuild of a tranny goes for around $1500. However if you add labor to pull it, FWD goes to $2500, while the Jeep is still $1500. But that also standard rebuitl. Apprantly most trannies die due to small parts. The rebuilkd kit inlcude most of those and wear surfaces. The trouble part is when thngs are so back stuff breaks and big parts need replacement.

I have found through the years that AAMCO seems to be a decent tranny place. Nation wide waranty, decent training program. The best deal is when you talk to the guys, ask questions, see who is going to do your rebuild, and ask in a nice manner. These guys love to talk about there craft. If they dont , I reccomend leave and find another. Thanks for the article, you basically conviced me I won't even try, not worth it to me.

14. #14 Re: Ever wonder why Transmissions cost so much to be repaired? 
    I'm starting to rebuild my spare trans this spring as with a 42RE you never know how long you'll still be able to drive...
    Just wanted to get further information about the 1 ton+ upgrade...
    Is the application of the upgrade kit clear or is there any information coming with it?
    I guess it's a stronger overdrive clutch with more clutch plates, am i right?
    Or is there also a stronger output shaft bearing provided with this upgrade set?

Thanx for your help in advance...
    '95 ZJ 4.0 Limited, 2-3"-Lift, NP 242, APN-headers, Goodyear MT/R, JKS Quicker Disconnects
    planned: to stroke it!
    AFN - The Eagle

Thread Information