Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

OCG 7/13 (pics added)

Thread: OCG 7/13 (pics added)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Had a good sized group out there, think we had 12 rigs in a total. Quite a few ZJ's, some TJ's, and a YJ, and Vintage (and I'm not talking about Al). Made it through the trail relatively unscathed, some new sheet metal work on a couple rigs and I need a new side view mirror now, but nothing too bad.

We just got home a little bit ago, Stan (SCAMPER ZJ) ended up blowing something up on his truck just outside Fairplay. Looked to be turbo related, but we're not sure. He's getting truck, trailer, and Jeep towed home. Hopefully it's nothing major. I was hoping for something simple like one of the boots on the intercooler pipes coming off, but it's something more serious than that. He managed to lose a lot of oil too.

I'll get our pics up in the morning.

2. #2 Re: OCG 7/13 
    Stan can't catch a break it seems.

Sounds like a fun trip.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

3. #3 Re: OCG 7/13 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    On to our pics . . . .

Coming through the first little rock chute

Getting flexy in the rock pile

Pam clearing it no problem with the new lift

Joe coming through

Vintage!

Scott taking the high road

Stan coming through

Shaft and Rubi

I think 3 of us tried the left line on Whale Rock, and none of us made it up. My rear wheels kept slipping off to the left which would've been rather unenjoyable if I went too far. Stan and Justin tried it too if I remember right and we had to strap Justin off cuz he ended up too cockeyed on it to back down. When I backed down I got way too close to the rocks on the left and rearranged my front fender and destroyed my sideview mirror. Also got my front axle hung up on the ridge that makes up the left side of the rock and had to get strapped off. The obstacle doesn't really look like the bottoms getting dug out, but it's definitely harder to get up it than it was a few years ago.

Pam making the center line look easy

We ended up forgetting the camera in the Jeep after driving up the trail a bit to make room for everyone, so that's all the pics we have from Whale Rock.

Flex shot at the stairs

I spotted Pam a little too close to the tree

4. #4 Re: OCG 7/13 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Pam trying to flex it a little too much, seemed to be a common theme in this spot though

Joe threw up a real nice wheel stand, but I didn't have the camera ready in time

Vintage air!

You know you're jealous of that mad articulation

Scott flexin it up

Augie rockin the short arm flex

Justin's turn

Cristi and Stan both tried the left line on the stairs. I remember when the obstacle first opened making it up on 33's, that one's DEFINITELY a lot more dug out. Cristi on 37's and Stan on 35's both had to pull cable, but once they put some weight on the front it helped out a lot.

Coming up the chute

Pam made it look easy, she's really diggin the bigger lift

Scott

Cristi

Stan

Poser shot on the way out

5. #5 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Nice. Cool trail. it's always nice to have a couple options on obstacles to keep the riff raff entertained.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

6. #6 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Nice pics! Stan, sorry to see that your truck had issues.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

7. #7 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Dave!! had a great time!! OH BTW: jus signed up here. I'm a wheelin noooooooob! (yea right). Dude, vintage flex is da bomb!! Some of the stuff goin on had my bil freakin'. OCG is always a good time. Good to meet some new people as well.
    If ya got pics of my rig in action. Ya can e-mail to jhsaunders7@gmail.com

8. #8 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Pam's ZJ is looking great!

Justins is looking

Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

9. #9 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Nice pics, nice rigs. Not to hijack, but does someone know who made the bumper that Stan is running? It looks like KOR.

EDIT: not only do I now know that it is a KOR bumper, I saw Stan's rig on the KOR website.
    1998 ZJ, stock except for some horsepower stickers.
    1993 YJ, 44/14b, 5.13s, SOA on 3.5" springs, H2s, D300, in need of tires and to be put together.

10. #10 Re: OCG 7/13 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    You know you're jealous of that mad articulation
    Actually, I am jealous of that much articulation on a front axle!

11. #11 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Good one Tom.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

12. #12 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Got a text from Stan, turns out it was some o-rings on his turbo. So hopefully nothing else got damaged in all of it!

13. #13 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Had a great time wheeling with you guy's again, OCG is always a good time. Maybe next time I'll have some of Pam's luck and not rub the t-case skid and muffler that many times.
    Augie
    94-5.2-231-8.8-Narrowed HP44-36's
    03 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
    02 WJ 4.7 HO

14. #14 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Great Time guys and gals! Vintage was pretty please to make another trip un-scathed
    ~Vintage~
    http://www.vintagejeeps.net/jeep_history.asp
    86' CJ-7
    Towed By "RED ROCKET"

15. #15 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    You get any of that video up?

And you gotta change your sig, halfie's gone!

16. #16 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 

YAHOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!

~Vintage~
    86' CJ-7
    Towed By "RED ROCKET"

17. #17 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    no vid yet...looking for a host...oh BTW here is a pic I forgot...nothing to do with anything but a good one none the less

~Vintage~
    86' CJ-7
    Towed By "RED ROCKET"

18. #18 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    YouTube not good enough???

19. #19 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297 View Post
    Pam's ZJ is looking great!

Justins is looking

Alas...mine is all still just one jeep...

And I am dying to see the video of mine on whale rock!

Good time was had by all! Really hoping Stan's truck issues are an easy fix!!
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

20. #20 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Quote Originally Posted by cjchamp View Post
    That looks like Big Dave desperately and furiously tightening the bolt on his turbo intake!

Yeah, coming back from OCG my truck started stalling. It was subtle at first; I thought it was just turbo surge initially (something about Hwy 285 seems to really bring that out). However I realized it was something more ominous when I began to lose power on a straight flat stretch after passing the turnoff for 24. Over the course of about two minutes, I lost all turbo pressure. I got off to the side of the road and couldn’t get it to start again. Popped the hood and found oil all over the place!! So there I was half way between Johnson’s Village and Fairplay. . .7PM Sunday evening. I had good cell signal so I called Big Dave because he had stayed back in Johnson’s Village - he thought it might be the turbo injector tubes. They seemed intact when we checked though, so I pretty much figured I had done something much worse. Anyway, I was out of oil, and couldn’t figure out where the leak was coming from, so I called Farmer’s. A number of people stopped from the group as they came by to check on me (thanks guys, that really meant a lot). I sent my brother Chris back with Big Dave and Pam after we hung out for a while and I waited the last 20 minutes for the tow truck which finally arrived a little after 9PM. We loaded the truck on an F650 flatbed with a Cat engine and towed the ZJ/trailer without a trailer brake the 100 miles back to my house (going 20-30 up hills and 45-50 down) – with the trip back taking over 4 hours. Total bill, AFTER my towing insurance: $700 (OUCH)!!

Anyway, I was afraid the towing bill would be just the start (and I haven’t gotten the truck back yet, so I may not be out of the woods), but Rocky at Rockin S Performance in Ft Lupton thinks the engine is OK and the huge leak turned out to just be an o-ring (Big Dave’s second guess). PHEW!! I don’t need it back right away so he’s going to do a full oil change (he used the cheap stuff to diagnose the prob), put in a larger tranny cooler (I’ve been planning to have this done, I was running hot en route Moab and a little warm yesterday), and install a “wicked wheel” in the turbo (another item I’ve been meaning to do which hopefully will eliminate the surge issue – if not I’m going to have to get a larger turbo housing).

I will sort through pics later this week - I'm kind of slammed at work but I'm hoping to have some time Wednesday.

Other than the truck thing. . .I HAD A BLAST!!
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

21. #21 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Glad to hear it doesn't sound too serious!!
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

22. #22 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by SCAMPER ZJ View Post
    Anyway, I was afraid the towing bill would be just the start (and I haven’t gotten the truck back yet, so I may not be out of the woods), but Rocky at Rockin S Performance in Ft Lupton thinks the engine is OK and the huge leak turned out to just be an o-ring (Big Dave’s second guess). PHEW!! I don’t need it back right away so he’s going to do a full oil change (he used the cheap stuff to diagnose the prob), put in a larger tranny cooler (I’ve been planning to have this done, I was running hot en route Moab and a little warm yesterday), and install a “wicked wheel” in the turbo (another item I’ve been meaning to do which hopefully will eliminate the surge issue – if not I’m going to have to get a larger turbo housing).

I will sort through pics later this week - I'm kind of slammed at work but I'm hoping to have some time Wednesday.

Other than the truck thing. . .I HAD A BLAST!!
    Awesome, I was thinking last night after I got your text about the pedestal o-rings how you should have Rocky put that wheel in while it's all torn down. I knew Rocky would get ya taken care of. You'll have to let me know how that tranny cooler works out, which one did you go with?

23. #23 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    I saw you all outside of Fairplay as you were headed down on Sunday morning, but I doubt you noticed me as I was in our stock mall crawler WK!

Dave, you weren't kidding when you mistook my ZJ as Pam's. They are REALLY similar! Right down to the CB mount and stock wheels.

Is she running RE 3.5" springs?

98 ZJ V8 Limited - with some stuff
    06 WK V8 Laredo - the lady's

24. #24 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by zjRyan View Post

Dave, you weren't kidding when you mistook my ZJ as Pam's. They are REALLY similar! Right down to the CB mount and stock wheels.
    Only difference I can tell looking at 'em is the tires, trimmed bumper, and the Hella' up front!

Is she running RE 3.5" springs?
    Yup!

25. #25 Re: OCG 7/13 (pics added) 
    Member Lifetime Supporter wannabe_offroad's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cjchamp View Post
    no vid yet...looking for a host...oh BTW here is a pic I forgot...nothing to do with anything but a good one none the less

Alright, no one else has said it yet.....is Pam not putting out anymore, Dave???? You've got to mount the truck now???

Glad you guys had a good time. It looks like a sweet trail. Some CO wheelin is definitely on my shortlist.

Rough luck Stan. Ya know, the whole reason to have a tow rig is so that if you break your rig while wheelin, you've got something to tow it back with....it ends up a little counterproductive in the wallet though when the tow rig gives out on ya. Now I know you've got some great pics!!! Don't hold out too long!!!

Putz

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information