Thread: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Okay, here's the deal with my Jeep:

So I went out to the store, parked it, got what I needed, and went back out to the Jeep to go home. When I turned the key, the Jeep didn't start, and where there should be spring loaded action and where the engine should crank, the key cylinder moved freely. After trying to start it numerous times I just decided to use my AAA service and get a tow home. So I decided to replace the key cylinder. After getting a replacement at Kragen and installing it, the spring loaded action is back, but the Jeep is still not starting.

Here is what is happening. I put the key into the ignition and turn it to right before it should start the car. All the dash lights come on as usual and then dissapear like normal. EXCEPT FOR THE ABS LIGHT. Any ideas as to why?

I think I could have a bad starter. Could a starter suddenly stop working? I had my friend turn the key in the ignition and I can hear a click from the are around the fuse box. That is the only noise that is heard when turning the key. I might be going to the junkyard tomorrow to get a used starter.

The battery was replaced with a Duralast Gold battery from AutoZone so that shouldn't be the issue.

Any ideas as to what it could be. Could it be the starter? Or the starter relay? Any thoughts are greatly appreciated.

Thanks

2. #2 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Crank Position Sensor?

The ABS light staying on is normal.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

3. #3 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Get under it with a wrench, hammer, screwdriver, whatever is handy. Tap on the starter, not hard, but not really lightly. Then get in the jeep and try and start it. If it still doesnt turn over it is probably the starter. And yes, starters can suddenly stop working.

If it is the starter dont get a used one. Get a new one from napa and take the old one in for a core. Plus the ones at napa have a lifetime waranty. Ive replaced mine 2 times in the last year and a half.

4. #4 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Crank Position Sensor?

The ABS light staying on is normal.
    Where is that located on the Jeep and how can I check to see that it is good?

5. #5 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    I dont think you can really check it unless you run a scan. Even then, your computer will pull up a code automatically if there is something wrong with it.

6. #6 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter TrojanMan's Avatar
    Crank position sensor is located on the top of the belhousing, slightly to the drivers side.

That doesn't sound like your problem. If the CKP sensor was bad it would spin over with no spark.

Use a screwdriver or something to short the starter. That will tell you if it's a starter or not. If you can short it and it starts, you have an issue somewhere between the key and the starter (solenoid or something like that).
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    This thread proves that wheeling is better than the internet.
    Weavsworld: i dont know shit about MC, i just make it work

7. #7 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Okay, where is the solenoid located?

8. #8 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    The solenoid is on top of the starter with a couple of wires running to it.

9. #9 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    and if you dont want to "short" it then just use a pair of jumper cables or a jump box to put power to the solenoid.. make sure the vehicle is in park!
    1996 ZJ Orvis Edition,V8 5.2L
    Skid Package, FM 40, UC, Dual Intake; OME Stab; Rustys 2" BB, 265/75/16 Firestone Destination M/T's, Kennesaw Multicarrier

Quote Originally Posted by InIt4TheFun View Post
    They can not handle man talk so you were wise.
    Pop Quiz: Whats more awesome than a lumberjack punching Santa in the face? (A) Nothing, or (B) All of the above?

10. #10 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Don't bother with your TPS. It's most likely your starter. The clicking noise is your solenoid- so that's probably working.

If your car were turning over and there was no spark- then it could be the TPS.

If you have MAJOR corrosion it could be the wire from the solenoid to the starter or a bad ground. Like it was suggested before. Get under there and check out the starter. You have to remove the oil filter to take out the starter FYI- you don't have to do a complete oil change, just have a pan nearby to catch the cup or so of oil that will drain. The starter is an easy fix and that is likely your problem.

Weird that the key went at the same time though. The solenoid sound makes me think you hooked it up right though.

Check starter- double check your key cylinder wiring- check wires to starter- check solenoid.
    My Junk
    ! ______
    / ] ] ]\___\,__
    L--|-|-|---[]|||[]
    ()_)....()_)---)_)

93' 5.2L, 35" Cooper Discovers, Custom Bumpers, CB, SOA rear, 8.8, 4.5" front springs, Warn M8000, 231, some other junk.

11. #11 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Okay so I just tried to short the connection and I am getting a cranking sound from the starter. Does this mean the starter is okay and its an electrical connection?

12. #12 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Ive had loose battery cables do this to me before. I've also had the short wire that goes from the negative post to the body get loose and cause all sorts of oddities. We have all had loose battery cables...but I've never had a vehicle behave as strangly as my Grands do when they have one. You never know....
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

13. #13 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwarriors View Post
    Okay so I just tried to short the connection and I am getting a cranking sound from the starter. Does this mean the starter is okay and its an electrical connection?
    A cranking sound...or was it cranking?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

14. #14 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    It is cranking and I had my mom turn the key and the Jeep started up. I went ahead and replaced the starter with one from NAPA and still the same result.

I need a lot of help.

15. #15 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    also, when I try and start the jeep I get an occasional clunk from what seems to be the starter but im not sure, it could be from inside the engine compartment.

Its also throwing code 12
    Last edited by wdwarriors; 07-01-2008 at 07:12 PM.

16. #16 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Code 12 is nothing. Just means your battery was disconnected in the past 50 or so attempts to crank.

I would replace the solenoid and check all terminal connections to the starter and battery.

Solenoids are cheap- and they break easy. My money is on the solenoid or a starter relay.
    My Junk
    ! ______
    / ] ] ]\___\,__
    L--|-|-|---[]|||[]
    ()_)....()_)---)_)

93' 5.2L, 35" Cooper Discovers, Custom Bumpers, CB, SOA rear, 8.8, 4.5" front springs, Warn M8000, 231, some other junk.

17. #17 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    just a thought- My 93 has this thing whee it will only start in neutral, like the park/nuetral safety switch is going out. Most of the time it will start in park, sometimes it won't and you just have to put it in neutral and it fires right up. Doesn't sound like your problem, since the solenoid is clicking, which wouldn't happen if it was similar to my problem/inconvenience. Go back to the ignition, i fond it to much of a coincidence that they would both give up at the same time. I'd trace the ignition circuit with a test light. Is it the starter relay you here click or the starter solenoid? the solenoid is on the starter itself, the relay is in the underhood power distribution block, should be labeled on the cover for it as to which relay it is, try swapping it for on of the same size that goes to something redundant and try to start it again. let us know what happens.....
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

18. #18 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    the solenoid came on the new starter so that cant be the problem, maybe the Crankshaft Position Sensor possibly?

I am going to replace the new starter with the old one and then return that one to NAPA tomorrow

What else could it be?
    Last edited by wdwarriors; 07-01-2008 at 11:07 PM.

19. #19 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    ignition switch, (the switch not the tumbler)

$32.99 at autozone
    http://www.autozone.com/R,APP375048/...ductDetail.htm
    Last edited by zj95; 07-01-2008 at 11:51 PM.
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

20. #20 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    24.99 in my area

21. #21 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    lucky... it still cost me 32.99 with my commercial account
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

22. #22 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    would the ignition switch also cause the key cylinder to lose its spring loaded effect in the start position??, because that is what happened to mine.

If that's the case then I can return the key cylinder that I bought haha

23. #23 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    yeah, take it back and exchange it. Can't be a coincidence. it's to random to make sense that the ignition lock cylinder would go out, AND something else. Cheap fix, just a bad part.
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

24. #24 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Awesome!! I will check back in tomorrow after I have gotten the new ignition switch

25. #25 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    yeah im 98% sure thats your prob...

try it with your old lock cyl. first so you dont have mismatched keys, but you MIGHT need to replace the lock cylinder in the end.. but not likely

That ignition switch is SUPER easy to change out.. hardest part is switching the lock cyl.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information