Thread: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. #26 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    yeah I already had to take out the ignition switch to change the lock cylinder and I still have the shrouds off of the steering column so it should only be about a 10 min repair

2. #27 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    either your switch is bad or you installed it wrong. I had to do it on my 96 and I remember it was a little tricky... and i only had a haynes manual to go by.

3. #28 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    yeah im 98% sure thats your prob...

try it with your old lock cyl. first so you dont have mismatched keys, but you MIGHT need to replace the lock cylinder in the end.. but not likely

That ignition switch is SUPER easy to change out.. hardest part is switching the lock cyl.
    That was what the problem was. I installed the new ignition switch from Kragen and it started up first try and quicker than ever before. It probably helped that I installed a new starter too haha

anyways, thanks a lot for the help, it is greatly appreciated by me and my wallet!

4. #29 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    wooo. rep for me!!!
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

5. #30 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    yeah i gave it to you

6. #31 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    wooo. rep for me!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by wdwarriors View Post
    yeah i gave it to you

Thus the Rep whore...

Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

7. #32 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    hella
    95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

8. #33 Re: 1996 Grand Cherokee Limited Won't Start, no crank -- PLEASE HELP ASAP 
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post
    Get under it with a wrench, hammer, screwdriver, whatever is handy. Tap on the starter, not hard, but not really lightly. Then get in the jeep and try and start it. If it still doesnt turn over it is probably the starter. And yes, starters can suddenly stop working.

If it is the starter dont get a used one. Get a new one from napa and take the old one in for a core. Plus the ones at napa have a lifetime waranty. Ive replaced mine 2 times in the last year and a half.
    I had this problem exactly with my 96 Jeep Cherokee as well.A gentleman came out of the Safeway store and saw my problem and got under the car and tapped somewhere, gently, with a wrench and the car started right up. I also had a 1980 Honda Prelude that had a catalytic converter that was an issue-the car would not start, so we let it cool down and then it did start about 1/2 hr later- and we didn't stop unless absolutely necessary for safety sake.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
Thread Information