Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade - Page 2

Thread: The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade

Page 2 of 30 FirstFirst 123456789101112 ... LastLast
  1. #26 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Haven't done anymore work on it because I'm out of money and I need to get the front drive shaft cut down a couple of inches but my friends and I went out two wheeling and shooting this weekend. Figured I'd put up some pics.

Think I need to lengthen my rear bump stops and trim the fenders. I know "I told you so"

My friend Drew goofing around.

Here's some pics of the trails we were doing. Nothing difficult obviously since I was able to do it in two wheel drive and a rear locker once in a while but it was still a lot of fun.

And finally a shot of all of us with the guns.
    Last edited by downtowncb; 01-18-2009 at 10:06 PM.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

2. #27 Re: The Polar Bear 
    is it just me or does it look like that guy with the handgun is pointing it directly at the head of the dude on his left..... with his hand on the trigger?

edit:... now it looks like he's fixin to shoot that girl.... with his finger on the trigger..
    Last edited by nc59dude; 01-19-2009 at 06:03 PM.
    Jeep. Bouncy and fun.

3. #28 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Yeah, really bad form. How about another one.
    I collect Jeeps.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

4. #29 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Guns are cool... put keep your clothes on...

5. #30 Re: The Polar Bear 
    What can I say, my friends are tools. haha
    I collect Jeeps.

6. #31 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Time for an update.

I broke my hand, that sucked.

and now for some pictures of my next project.

It's a 5.3L out of an '03 Silverado, low mileage and freshly rebuilt transmission. As far as I can tell, with the exception of DieselZJ, I'm the first to attempt a non-ZJ native motor swap. Should be fun.

For those of you going ?!?!? why the fuck would you do that, simple, for a 5.9L V8 its anemic and I get 10mpg on the freeway. With this new motor, I'll get more horsepower, run on regular unleaded and get better gas mileage.
    I collect Jeeps.

7. #32 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Took the harness off the motor today and now I'm starting to pick through it to remove what I don't need. This is going to take a while ...
    I collect Jeeps.

8. #33 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    As far as I can tell, with the exception of DieselZJ, I'm the first to attempt a non-ZJ native motor swap. Should be fun.
    I though Kraqa ran a propane powered Chebby motor for a while too?

9. #34 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    I though Kraqa ran a propane powered Chebby motor for a while too?
    Cool! I must have not found it. I just did a ton of research on motor swaps into ZJs and all I found we're the native ZJ motor ones.
    I collect Jeeps.

10. #35 Re: The Polar Bear 
    As far as I can tell, with the exception of DieselZJ, I'm the first to attempt a non-ZJ native motor swap. Should be fun.
    There are plenty of guys out on the trails that never cruise the forums. While you are definitely on the early end of this curve, I would be surprised if you're even in the top 10.

For those of you going ?!?!? why the fuck would you do that, simple, for a 5.9L V8 its anemic and I get 10mpg on the freeway. With this new motor, I'll get more horsepower, run on regular unleaded and get better gas mileage.
    You're definitely making a smart move jumping to a real v8. I don't understand the hype surrounding the 5.9. Sure it makes decent power and Jeep should have put them in every ZJ they ever made, but it's easily overshadowed by even a very modest modern engine like a 5.3.

11. #36 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Can't wait for a write up on the 5.3L install. Seems a decent choice for a swap. The 5.3L, as far as a quick Google search shows, makes about 285-295 hp and torque is 325-335 lb·ft stock. The 5.9L was rated at 245 hp and 345 lb·ft of torque. Pretty close torque numbers, more horsepower, and with an upgraded engine design that is damn near guaranteed to give better service life and better fuel mileage overall.
    Now the Jeep has Ford and Chevy parts!!
    J.E.E.P.- Just Everyone Else's Parts
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

12. #37 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    There are plenty of guys out on the trails that never cruise the forums. While you are definitely on the early end of this curve, I would be surprised if you're even in the top 10.
    There are defiantly Jeeps out there with non-native motors, I just hadn't seen many ZJs and like I said, it was as far as I could tell.

Quote Originally Posted by Goosed76 View Post
    Can't wait for a write up on the 5.3L install. Seems a decent choice for a swap. The 5.3L, as far as a quick Google search shows, makes about 285-295 hp and torque is 325-335 lb·ft stock. The 5.9L was rated at 245 hp and 345 lb·ft of torque. Pretty close torque numbers, more horsepower, and with an upgraded engine design that is damn near guaranteed to give better service life and better fuel mileage overall.
    Now the Jeep has Ford and Chevy parts!!
    J.E.E.P.- Just Everyone Else's Parts
    Haha seriously. After I swap the motor, literally none of the drive train that originally came on the vehicle will still be there.

I've been doing the research on cutting down the wire harness and making all of the original gauges work, I'll keep the posts going here and when I'm done do a write up. I want the motor swap to be completely transparent where everything works as it did previously. The only gauge I haven't figured out how to make work yet is the tach, I'm not sure how the stock Jeep ECU calculates RPMs, if its from the crank position sensor or the firing of the ignition system. Once I figure that out I'm just going to make a simple circuit to take the tach signal from the Chevy ECU and use it to generate a dummy signal for the Jeep ECU.
    I collect Jeeps.

13. #38 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Nice project....keep us updated....we love information
    5.9 ZJ With stuff attached
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

14. #39 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Well before I park the Jeep for the motor swap, I took it out for one last coupe de gras and well ... I made it count. We were driving over the salt flats at Soda Lake in the middle of nowhere in California: http://maps.google.com/maps?f=q&sour...58557&t=h&z=10

and we found a massive muddy sink hole...

after 5+ hours of digging and calling one of my friends with a Jeep to come be a land anchor for my winch we got unstuck.

Lesson learned, even if it looks as dry as the freakin Sahara desert it helps to know exactly what you're mobing on.

At the end of the day there is a couple of hundred pounds of mud stuck to my Jeep and my steering is pooched. We drove 75 miles back to town at 25 MPH. It's been one hell of an adventure and a long day.

Tomorrow I'm washing it off and starting the disassembly for the motor swap.
    Last edited by downtowncb; 06-23-2009 at 10:42 PM.
    I collect Jeeps.

15. #40 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Got the motor out today! Now I've just got to pick up the steel to plate the frame rails and fabricate the motor mounts and coilover hoops out of.

I collect Jeeps.

16. #41 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    was your stock motor a 4.0 or v8? if it was the 4.0 you cant make a 6 cylinder tach work for a v8 ive painfully tried you will prob have to get one form autometer
    Ray Charles gofast Tjuggy tons atlas 40" creepys,BLACKMAMBA 3500 Suburban 8.1 tow monster

17. #42 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    It was a V8. Maybe you can answer my question, how does the Jeep ECU calculate RPM? Is it based on the crank position sensor or what? The Chevy ECU outputs a signal I can use and modify using a microcontroller to anything I want, I'm just not sure what I need to send the signal to.
    I collect Jeeps.

18. #43 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    i would have to say the crank but to be shure i would call a company that goes through harnesses and ask like PAINLESS wiring www.painlessperformance.com theres plenty of companys doing it they could probaley point you in the right direction
    Ray Charles gofast Tjuggy tons atlas 40" creepys,BLACKMAMBA 3500 Suburban 8.1 tow monster

19. #44 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    heres a hemi motor swap!!!
    http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2303256/6
    96 ZJ Limited, 5.2 with K&N filter, Hi flow cat, Cherry bomb extreme muffler, Clayton long arms 6" lift, Steering box brace from KOR, KOR track bar Conversion,TnT steering, 242 TC, 8.8 with ARB Locker, dana 30, 4.88 gearing, 35 KM2's
    KOR bumpers
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17149
    07 CRF250X

20. #45 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Yeah, that guy was on this site for a short while- kinda got butt hurt with everyone poking fun at his exo-cage and going to Rockwells I think. Guy is sponsored(why? I have no idea). The hemi fits, but you have to cut the frame rails and widen them, then re-plate the rails in order to clear- apparently it's wider than a 5.2 or a 5.9...
    I kind of like the 5.3L Vortec idea- apart from it being a non Mopar engine- I'm the guy who hates fords with chevy engines- but makes enough sense in a wheeler- we swap all kinds of parts- why not a GM engine with Ford axles in a Jeep? lol
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

21. #46 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Yeah, I see what your talking about tearing pretty much the whole front frame rails apart. Damn that's a shit ton of work. Mine fits with a lot less work. I like how he fab'd the coilover hoops though, that's a lot like I had in mind for mine, including the cross brace over the engine.
    I collect Jeeps.

22. #47 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Christmas came early today!

and here is a quick pic of my friends project:
    I collect Jeeps.

23. #48 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Christmas came early today!

and here is a quick pic of my friends project:
    I find myself unable to find the words to describe the AWESOMENESS of that project!

24. #49 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    Is the papa johns sign structural? It looks like it'll prevent you from being stuck on your roof in an endo.

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

25. #50 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install Begins 
    just throw some super powerful lights under the papa johns sign and you can use it for night runs

Thread Information