Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade - Page 11

Thread: The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade

Page 11 of 30 FirstFirst ... 23456789101112131415161718192021 ... LastLast
  1. #251 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    Thanks! It's all 1/8" (I have a big sheet laying around) but there is a lot of cross webbing and reinforcements on the inside that I unfortunately didn't get a picture of. Where the motor mount bolts are there is another piece of 1/8" behind that the bolts are welded to and is welded to all the factory motor mount reinforcements plates. I then placed the outer plate over it and used about 10 plugs welds to connect the two. I also cut a slit where that internal factory cross piece is and allowed it to poke trough; I then welded along the slit to join the two. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry to hear about the eye ball! I was wondering why you weren't done yet you seem to work very fast.

I have definitely heard of these breaking exhaust bolts before and it usually seems to be the one I broke. I bought some hi quality bolts so hopefully this won't be a problem in the future. I ordered a 3/16" carbide tipped bit from McMaster last night that will hopefully be the final solution to this 10 month problem.
    I've had lots of help though. I couldn't do it all myself this quick! lol

2. #252 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    I made a bracket to turn the evap canister on it’s side.

Who says you can’t fit 33’s on a stock height grand! I had to get the rear springs out because I’m doing a spring swap with BigClay. I had RE 4.5” coils with a 2” budget boost and now I’m swapping in Clayton 7” coils and giving Clay all of the 4.5” coils.

Flat belly.

I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

3. #253 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    I have 35's on a 2" lift. with a little trimming anything is possible.

4. #254 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

5. #255 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lynch View Post
    kevin garnett? is that you?

6. #256 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by Joe Lynch View Post

prove it.

7. #257 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by WJvol View Post
    prove it.
    I will take pics this weekend. Im never home when its light durring the week between school and work.

8. #258 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    wow didn't expect to get a response, now I'm excited!

9. #259 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    I wanna see how the rear doors are cut. Cuz thats the only way I see that working. Just to be clear, you can actually drive and steer it right? Also post a new thread and link it here so you arent whoring up downtown's build thread. Unless he doesnt mind.
    2004 Ford Lightning

10. #260 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    You could just do moderate cutting/ BFHing and run 35s at 2" of lift with a lot of bumpstop (that's what I run with 33s with some bumpstop), but he's had a bunch of threads asking for info about comp cutting and longer clayton's arms... It'd be very do-able with a couple extra inches of wheelbase. Start a new thread.

Highjack off

downtowncb, is the major fab work over, then? That's always a good feeling. How's the manifold situation looking?
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

11. #261 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Stock wheelbase. I am going to long arm and 4 link it because it is real tight, especially in front. The rear is trimmed right to the door edge and there is plenty of room. Im pushing the rear axle back 5" and the front forward at least 4" so i can get 39" on there by next "rubicon" season. It runs, stops, and turns fine (except the death wobble which is from my loose steering). The front barely rubs but I am going to dove nose it and that problem will be gone. I will post pics in my build thread. Now I will stop whoring your thread, sorry man.

12. #262 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    downtowncb, is the major fab work over, then? That's always a good feeling. How's the manifold situation looking?
    Almost all the major fab work is done! I still have to finish the passenger side motor mount when I put the engine in tomorrow, but that won't take long. I got the intake and filter in today.

I finished the fuel system.

Shanana bitch! I finally got the exhaust bolt drilled out and the Helicoil in.

And here is the coil over and air bump charging tool I pieced together from PowerTank and McMaster. I am using the nitrogen tank also to power the sway bar disconnect til down the road when I can determine if I can fit a York on this motor too. So today I purchased a 20 cu. ft. tank from Air Gas that I will mount in the back of the Jeep.

Tomorrow the motor is going in and getting all it's fluids and running tranny cooling lines. With any luck I will be able to fire it up by Friday.
    I collect Jeeps.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

13. #263 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Almost all the major fab work is done! Tomorrow the motor is going in and getting all it's fluids and running tranny cooling lines. With any luck I will be able to fire it up by Friday.
    Sweet! I bet you can't wait to turn the key.

Shanana bitch! I finally got the exhaust bolt drilled out and the Helicoil in.
    I had 4 of those bastards break off in the heads. Talk about a PITA. I probably should have just gotten new (to me) heads, but I drilled and tapped every one of them to 10mm because I was bored and being a total cheapass. Thanks for reminding me that I need to order some new bolts.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

14. #264 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by IndyZJ View Post
    Sweet! I bet you can't wait to turn the key.

I had 4 of those bastards break off in the heads. Talk about a PITA. I probably should have just gotten new (to me) heads, but I drilled and tapped every one of them to 10mm because I was bored and being a total cheapass. Thanks for reminding me that I need to order some new bolts.
    My god, if I didn't have roommates that were gear heads and a very understanding girlfriend I would have been shot by now out of shear annoyance because all I've talked about for the last week is finally starting and driving the Jeep! I was driving a friends Yukon today with the same motor and just grinning like an idiot thinking that the same motor in that thing, and they are pretty quick for an SUV, will be living in my Jeep shortly.

I bought a new set of stronger (supposedly) head bolts and a tap and went through and cleaned out all the threads. I do NOT want a repeat of this with the engine in the Jeep.
    I collect Jeeps.

15. #265 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    What head bolts did you go with (grade, coating, etc) and where did you get them?

I guess I got lucky not having any stubborn bolts on mine. Maybe it being a GA engine and only having 58k on it helped though

16. #266 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    What head bolts did you go with (grade, coating, etc) and where did you get them?

I guess I got lucky not having any stubborn bolts on mine. Maybe it being a GA engine and only having 58k on it helped though
    I just made a retarded realization, I purchased grade 8 head bolts for a small block chevy, forgetting these new motors are all metric. Doh

So I guess I have a standard set of bolts haha.
    I collect Jeeps.

17. #267 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    IIRC the factory head bolts are 10.9 grade. They are one use only tty bolts and plenty strong for all but some forced induction applications. Im running them on my 530 horse ls. FWIW

When you say head bolts do you mean exhaust manifold bolts or cylinder head bolts.

Oh and good thing you mentioned you have a GF I was wondering about the pink nail polish in the engine pic LOL.
    2004 Ford Lightning

18. #268 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    IIRC the factory head bolts are 10.9 grade. They are one use only tty bolts and plenty strong for all but some forced induction applications. Im running them on my 530 horse ls. FWIW

When you say head bolts do you mean exhaust manifold bolts or cylinder head bolts.

Oh and good thing you mentioned you have a GF I was wondering about the pink nail polish in the engine pic LOL.
    My bad, exhaust manifold bolts. And ya those are her toes haha.
    I collect Jeeps.

19. #269 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Cut, rotated and TIGd the water neck to clear the intake and aim it at the right spot on the radiator.

Got the transfer case shift linkage done. I used a push pull cable from McMaster.

Got the engine in this evening. Tomorrow is going to be a long day but with any luck I might be able to fire it up, if not then definitely Saturday.
    I collect Jeeps.

20. #270 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Nice work on the linkage and the whole project obviously. Very clean. I believe you may be just as anal as I am.

Thats a compliment BTW LOL
    2004 Ford Lightning

21. #271 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeptech01 View Post
    Nice work on the linkage and the whole project obviously. Very clean. I believe you may be just as anal as I am.

Thats a compliment BTW LOL
    You're not the first person to call me anal about the details but I like the results of my anal retentiveness.
    I collect Jeeps.

22. #272 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Ok, I know Saturday has come and gone and it still isn’t running. The only thing keeping me from starting it is not having a y-pipe. I need flanges that bolt to the Camaro headers. I found a local muffler shop that by some chance has a set that will bolt right up that he says he had made 5 years back for a Camaro but ended up not using; but he wants $65 for them. I’m going to go back and haggle with him tomorrow.

On to the update, here is the nitrogen tank in the back of the Jeep. I’m using it to charge the shocks and run the sway bar disconnect. I have a 1/4” air line running through the cab and out the firewall. The regulator will be here in a couple of days.

Here’s the air valve mounted on the side of the fuse box.

Here is where I ran the steam line. I taped a hole for ¼” npt and installed a barbed fitting.

Here is how it sits right now.

Had to keep the Vortec cover.

I converted the old transmission cooler to power steering duty.

Don’t worry, the reservoir clears fine and isn’t going anywhere.

I collect Jeeps.

23. #273 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Dude. E-knucks. You are doing some damn clean work.

24. #274 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkeith View Post
    Dude. E-knucks. You are doing some damn clean work.
    fuckin x2

25. #275 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    What are you doing for a transmission cooler?

Thread Information