Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade - Page 10

Thread: The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade

Page 10 of 30 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617181920 ... LastLast
  1. #226 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Two steps forward and one step back. I got a ton of work done but ... the Corvette headers arrived and they won't work. So now I'm going to take everything back out tomorrow and cut up the frame to make the Camaro ones work...

I pulled out the front axle and painted it. Then put all the brake hardware back on. I haven’t put on the passenger side hardware yet because one of the studs on the Spider Tracks spacer has gnarled threads so I’m trying to find a replacement.

Close up of the brake line routing.

Test fitting the radiator and fan so I could measure for a filter and intake to order. I also started routing all the cable for the starter, power distribution center, alternator, etc…

Here is the box I welded that will house the iPhone controller, fuses and relays eventually.

Oh and Agitated, mine has crackle

I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

2. #227 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    hahaha crackle huh...nice.

You need to hurry up and get this thing on the road, I wanna see and hear it!
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #228 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    I ended up using the f-body manifolds as well. I ground down the hump on the passenger side manifold quite a bit without going through the casting. My frames is already hacked to shit though lol

4. #229 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    hahaha crackle huh...nice.

You need to hurry up and get this thing on the road, I wanna see and hear it!
    I figured you'd appreciate that haha. I think it did it because it's cold. Believe me I want to get this driving ASAP, all I have for transportation right now is my motorcycle, which really sucks when it's raining.

Quote Originally Posted by DaveJeep View Post
    I ended up using the f-body manifolds as well. I ground down the hump on the passenger side manifold quite a bit without going through the casting. My frames is already hacked to shit though lol
    Can you show me a photo of how far you ground down? Just to give me an idea of what's safe. I'm really not looking forward to chopping up the frame and fresh paint.

Have you started on the wiring yet?
    I collect Jeeps.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

5. #230 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    what'd you paint the axle with? did i miss it?

6. #231 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by paulkeith View Post
    what'd you paint the axle with? did i miss it?
    POR 15
    I collect Jeeps.

7. #232 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    Can you show me a photo of how far you ground down? Just to give me an idea of what's safe. I'm really not looking forward to chopping up the frame and fresh paint.

Have you started on the wiring yet?
    I will get a pic tomorrow of the manifold.

I have not started the wiring yet, still have to finish the frame hopefully this weekend. But now I've gone over the wiring so much now I think I could do it with my eyes closed.

8. #233 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    POR 15
    Cool. That's what it looked like, but I didn't know. You were all about the industrial epoxy stuff earlier

I painted a whole trailer with POR15 one time using an air gun. Shit got Eeeeverywhere, including on my contact lenses. Stayed there for the rest of the time i wore those contacts, too. Crazy stuff.

9. #234 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Yeah they say it takes weeks to get it off your skin haha. Never done it but I think applying it by air might be a bit rough =P
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

10. #235 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    It got on my toenails too (was working in flops since it was 110 and we'd paint for 10 minutes and swim for 10 minutes), and it stayed on my toenails until they grew out.

11. #236 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    The first time I used it about 6 months ago, I was using a paint brush and the bristles flicked some on my face... Yeah it stayed there for a while haha
    I collect Jeeps.

12. #237 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Pulled the motor ... AGAIN. Cut the frame, made a scab plate and was about to weld it in when it started to rain. I'll finish it up tomorrow. Shit I'm tired, early to bed tonight.

I collect Jeeps.

13. #238 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    Pulled the motor ... AGAIN. Cut the frame, made a scab plate and was about to weld it in when it started to rain. I'll finish it up tomorrow. Shit I'm tired, early to bed tonight.

Right click, "Save As." Not sure I have ever seen the inside of a ZJ frame rail at this location. Seen a few XJ's never a ZJ though.

Chad

14. #239 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    I almost finished plating the hole, I'll post photos tomorrow.

I also installed spacers in my air bumps today to reduce them from 4" of travel to 2.5". I'll see how I like this length once I get to drive it and adjust from there.

Here is a shot of the internals and the spacer that I turned on the lathe. It goes in place of the shorter spacer currently on the shaft.

Here is a comparison shot.

I had a little accident when I was reassembling the first one and shot shock oil ALL over the place, mostly on the ceiling haha.
    I collect Jeeps.

15. #240 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    I plated in the frame and painted it, don't have pictures of it painted yet.

The only thing keeping me from putting the motor in finally is there is an exhaust bolt broken off in the rear driver's side head. I tried using a Harbor Freight easy out to remove it that broke off in the bolt (stupid ass, I should have know). Anyways, it now has a hardened steel core and just rounds off all the drill bits I've thrown at it. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get it out yet. I wish I knew where to get tungsten carbide tipped drill bits but I haven't had any luck yet. I'm open to suggestions.
    I collect Jeeps.

16. #241 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Can't you just weld a bolt to the broken piece and pull it out?
    '98 ZJ 5.9 soon to have 5" Clayton LA's and 33" BFG KM2

17. #242 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    The only thing keeping me from putting the motor in finally is there is an exhaust bolt broken off in the rear driver's side head. I tried using a Harbor Freight easy out to remove it that broke off in the bolt (stupid ass, I should have know). Anyways, it now has a hardened steel core and just rounds off all the drill bits I've thrown at it. I haven't figured out how I'm going to get it out yet. I wish I knew where to get tungsten carbide tipped drill bits but I haven't had any luck yet. I'm open to suggestions.
    Mcmaster carries carbide drills in a variety of coatings, along with one of the finest tap selections you'll find.

18. #243 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by NIK5.9 View Post
    Can't you just weld a bolt to the broken piece and pull it out?
    Tried that, couldn't get a good enough weld penetration to unscrew it.

Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Mcmaster carries carbide drills in a variety of coatings, along with one of the finest tap selections you'll find.
    Cam to the rescue, thanks a lot. I'll order it tonight; stuff gets here so fast from them I wouldn't be surprised if it's here on Saturday.
    I collect Jeeps.

19. #244 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    I plated in the frame and painted it, don't have pictures of it painted yet.

same thing happened to mine heard its common for the rear bolt to do this on these motors i had a friend come over and we had to drill till it was the bolt size and retap it
    Ray Charles gofast Tjuggy tons atlas 40" creepys,BLACKMAMBA 3500 Suburban 8.1 tow monster

20. #245 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Common GM problem. My 5.3l has the same issue, one broke bolt but it never broke off flush so I hope I can visegrip it out. Two guys at my work have 6.0l 2500s and they both have had exhaust manifold leaks because of broken bolts.

Frame plating looks really good Cody! I'll get back at mine once my eye heals from the piece of metal that decided to get past my safety goggles and plant itself into my eye.

What size metal did you use on the inside frame?
    Last edited by DaveJeep; 03-19-2010 at 11:56 AM.

21. #246 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Thats odd I've never run into that before and I've worked on tons of these motors. Then again I am in Fl so maybe thats it. Or maybe its a higher mileage thing?
    2004 Ford Lightning

Autism? Its more common than you think..
    http://www.autismspeaks.org/whatisit/index.php

22. #247 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    One truck at my work had 35,000km and the other 95,000km. They are both company trucks and both bought at the same time. One guy drives way more than the other but they both had the problem within a month of each other.

23. #248 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    One truck at my work had 35,000km and the other 95,000km. They are both company trucks and both bought at the same time. One guy drives way more than the other but they both had the problem within a month of each other.
    did their problems happen in the winter?

24. #249 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Common GM problem. My 5.3l has the same issue, one broke bolt but it never broke off flush so I hope I can visegrip it out. Two guys at my work have 6.0l 2500s and they both have had exhaust manifold leaks because of broken bolts.

Frame plating looks really good Cody! I'll get back at mine once my eye heals from the piece of metal that decided to get past my safety goggles and plant itself into my eye.

What size metal did you use on the inside frame?
    Thanks! It's all 1/8" (I have a big sheet laying around) but there is a lot of cross webbing and reinforcements on the inside that I unfortunately didn't get a picture of. Where the motor mount bolts are there is another piece of 1/8" behind that the bolts are welded to and is welded to all the factory motor mount reinforcements plates. I then placed the outer plate over it and used about 10 plugs welds to connect the two. I also cut a slit where that internal factory cross piece is and allowed it to poke trough; I then welded along the slit to join the two. Hope that makes sense.

Sorry to hear about the eye ball! I was wondering why you weren't done yet you seem to work very fast.

I have definitely heard of these breaking exhaust bolts before and it usually seems to be the one I broke. I bought some hi quality bolts so hopefully this won't be a problem in the future. I ordered a 3/16" carbide tipped bit from McMaster last night that will hopefully be the final solution to this 10 month problem.
    I collect Jeeps.

25. #250 Re: The Polar Bear - 5.3L Chevy Install 
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    did their problems happen in the winter?
    Yup, middle of winter.

Thread Information