Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade

Thread: The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade

Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. #1 The Polar Bear - NP241 Upgrade 
    I've been reading these forums for a while; I figured it was time I formally introduce myself. Hi I'm Cody.

My first Grand was a 1996 4.0L Laredo that I purchased before I even had my drivers license. I started that one by putting a 4.6L stroker in it and installing a Rubicon Express 4.5" short arm lift.

She will always be my first love, but I like most here had my eye on something a little bit er bigger. So the opportunity presented itself to buy a 5.9 that was almost exactly where I envisioned mine being in a few years; right lift, tires, bumper, winch etc.. I decided to go for it.

So here she is: The Polar Bear. It has a 6” Clayton Long Arm lift, NP 242, BF Goodrich 33” Mud Terrains, steel front bumper, Warn 9000 lb winch, dual battery setup and had a hi lift but some son of a bitch stole it off the roof rack about a week ago.

At the moment it has the stock LP 30 up front with CVs and the 44 aluminum in the rear. I have a HP 30 in my garage that I’m doing the WJ swap on and adding 4.56s. I’m on the lookout for an 8.8 to put a locker in for the rear.

So these are my Jeeps and that’s my project at the moment.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

2. #2 Re: The Polar Bear 
    looks clean, hack those fenders up a bit and throw on some 35's

3. #3 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Quote Originally Posted by grandmaster View Post
    hack those fenders up a bit and throw on some 35's
    ditto

4. #4 Re: The Polar Bear 
    I thought Dave was the polar bear
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

5. #5 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Nice Jeep, is the front bumper and roof rack custom built?

6. #6 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Ya the previous owner had them both built I believe by a local shop.
    I collect Jeeps.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

7. #7 Re: The Polar Bear 
    looks almost like my niner, do you have any wheel spacers for your rims?? and what springs are you running??

8. #8 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Quote Originally Posted by lifted5.9 View Post
    looks almost like my niner, do you have any wheel spacers for your rims?? and what springs are you running??
    It has 1" wheel spacers but even with those the front tires still rub on the long arms when turned full lock. I'm not sure what I'm going to do about that yet. I like the wheels but I think they are going to have to go eventually. It has RE coils.
    I collect Jeeps.

9. #9 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Colorado5.9 runs 5.9 wheels on TNT LA's and 35's, I think he runs spacers but more than 1".

10. #10 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Alright I need a bit of advice from those who have done axle swaps. I swear I've changed my mind a dozen times on what front axle to install. I've got a HP30 with the vacuum disconnect that I've bought some of the parts to do the WJ swap on, but I'm wondering if since I'm starting from scratch if I am just wasting money. Should I keep down this track or just say screw it and try and find a HP44 (that TNT weld on truss kit looks pretty fancy)? I'm not made of money, I'm a student, so money is an issue. Oh and the biggest I figure I'll ever run is 35s.
    I collect Jeeps.

11. #11 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Advantages of each, this is almost just for myself

Dana 30:
    Currently have it
    bolts right in

Dana 44:
    stronger
    disconnect hubs
    bigger brakes?

The biggest disadvantage I can think of to the 44 is it's not the right width? Does anyone have a decent figure about how much approximately building a 44 costs.

Sorry I know this has been discussed to death but I don't know that much about it.
    I collect Jeeps.

12. #12 Re: The Polar Bear 
    My brother is building up a Ford D44 for a ranger SAS. He has put in about $1200 in the axle, and that includes 5.13 gears with install kit, ARB air locker, brakes, and other stuff. But he found good deals on some of the parts. So it would probably cost around $1600 without chromy shafts. But it will still be stronger than a D30. That being said, I'm putting in a HP30 in my 5.9 with 33's.

13. #13 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Another grand on niner wheels, sweet.

What's wrong with the D30 now? I'd just keep it, doesn't look like you wheel much/hard.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

14. #14 Re: The Polar Bear 
    I'm sure this will be labeled JU worthy but I'll post it anyways. I built a custom box out of MDF for my sub. It has a compartment on top for storing my tow strap, tow hitch and other junk and is bolted down using the old spare tire bolt.

Last edited by downtowncb; 09-06-2008 at 10:03 PM.
    I collect Jeeps.

15. #15 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Good idea, and looks good. How does it sound, there isnt much room for air to circulate.

16. #16 Re: The Polar Bear 
    It sounds fine for what I use it for, but I'm content with keeping the stock Infinity system for the moment it sounds nice enough for me just needed more bass. I need to put carpet on the bottom of the compartment though, I can hear shit in it rattling when I crank it up.
    I collect Jeeps.

17. #17 Re: The Polar Bear 
    A little update. I found a deal on Rubicon 44's front and rear with chromoly shafts, 4.88 gears, rock crusher diff covers and vanco dual piston calipers. So today I took out the rear 44a and cut the Clayton truss off to weld on the new axle. I'll post some pictures up soon.

Question, I've welded on axles before, but never a truss and I was told to be very careful when welding it on so as not to warp or bend the housing. What precautions should I take and what advice do you guys have?
    I collect Jeeps.

18. #18 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    Does that hitch rattle all the time, or do you have some kind of padding???

Looks like a good idea though.
    Last edited by JBN311; 11-02-2008 at 04:12 PM. Reason: forgot something
    2004 WJ Laredo V8, Front Dana 30 w/ Quadra-Drive, Aussie Locked 44a rear, 30" BFG A/T's, 2" BB, Transfer Case Skid, Front tow hooks, Rear hitch w/ shackle, RS CB

Build thread:
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17102

19. #19 Re: The Polar Bear 
    I lined the bottom with the same carpet and I don't hear a damn thing out of it. I love it.
    I collect Jeeps.

20. #20 Re: The Polar Bear 
    thats a damn clean setup, I've got to build a box that actually hugs the wall like that for my MTX. Damn thing weighs 60lbs =P
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

21. #21 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    thats a damn clean setup, I've got to build a box that actually hugs the wall like that for my MTX. Damn thing weighs 60lbs =P
    I'm not sure how much my old setup weighed but I know it was enough to crush a BRAND NEW Canon digital camera when I hit some bumps four wheeling! Thats why it is now bolted down!
    I collect Jeeps.

22. #22 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Got the new axles today! Started cutting off the upper control arm brackets but didn't make it very far before dark. Those things are a bitch to cut off when all you have is a grinder.

P.S. I'm working out of my trailer because my landlord is an ass-hat and won't even let me rotate my tires on the property.
    I collect Jeeps.

23. #23 Re: The Polar Bear 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    I'm not sure how much my old setup weighed but I know it was enough to crush a BRAND NEW Canon digital camera when I hit some bumps four wheeling! Thats why it is now bolted down!

With my box its in the 120+lb range =/
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

24. #24 Re: The Polar Bear 
    So a little update. I finished installing the TJ 44's and have since drove it 500 miles up to Reno for winter break. Couple of things, my speedo reads 90 mph at 70, need to fix that and I have some lovely drive line vibrations at 50.

Questions:
    1. How long are XJ and TJ front drive shafts? I need to get the current one shortened and the shop wants $115 to do it.

2. Is $200 reasonable to cut the rear and insert a slip joint (Spline?). It already has a double cardan at the transfer case but still uses the slip yoke?? The previous owner was on crack. I'm planning on doing the Hack N' Tap

3. Where do you get affordable speedo gears. I need a 41 tooth for 33" tires and 4.88 and the only ones I've found are around $100!!!!
    I collect Jeeps.

25. #25 Re: The Polar Bear 
    The Axle Swap

Cut the brackets off the old 44a and welded them on the new one.

Painted it with POR 15. They weren't joking about not getting this on your skin, the bristles on the paint brush accidentally flicked some on my face; I spent four days explaining why I had black shit on my face and couldn't get it off.

The front was a lot easier, just cleaned it up and painted it.

U-Turn Steering installed.

Rear installed.

The compressors for the lockers sit under the second battery tray. I used the tray they were originally mounted on in the Rubicon and bent and cut it up to fit.

After all this work my favorite part about the axles are the Vanco dual piston calipers. Damn it now my Jeep has Ford parts on it. This thing stops better than a stock grand! Thats all for now.
    I collect Jeeps.

Page 1 of 30 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Thread Information