Thread: bracket measurements/placement

1. #1 bracket measurements/placement 
    as i will be swapping to full width axles in the next year or so...and as i'm a perfectionist i need some help figuring out how to determine where brackets need to go

having read through build threads and what not, i see people setting pinion to certain degrees and such? any more info on that?

i will probably be getting bracket sets from clayton, i just seem to have a brick wall in my head as to where to have them welded on...

these will be going on my 44/9 combo

thanks

2. #2 Re: bracket measurements/placement 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Varkyl's Avatar
    Determine the axle center on both the old and new. Then measure off of that to locate your brackets.
    Remember to measure twice and weld once.
    '96 ZJ slightly modded with more in the works (5.3L HP44 and SF 14b)
    '03 WJ Limited 4.7HO - just starting the journey

3. #3 Re: bracket measurements/placement 
    Quote Originally Posted by MotoX5874 View Post
    as i will be swapping to full width axles in the next year or so...and as i'm a perfectionist i need some help figuring out how to determine where brackets need to go

having read through build threads and what not, i see people setting pinion to certain degrees and such? any more info on that?

i will probably be getting bracket sets from clayton, i just seem to have a brick wall in my head as to where to have them welded on...

these will be going on my 44/9 combo

thanks
    As stated, measure center and go from there.

With the pinion angle, in the rear at least you need to think about your future (or current) lift and if you are going to run a SYE. If you are planing on a slip yolk eliminator, or already running one, then the pinion needs to basically be pointing at the transfer case output shaft. The front is a little more tricky, for that I would place the pinion angle close to stock, with maybe just a few degrees of rotation forward to get your pinion angle ok...but if you go too far you'll nuke the castor.

Best way to do all this in my opinion is to mock it all up, with the vehicle at whatever height you plan on running, but I'm sure there is a more professional answer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

4. #4 Re: bracket measurements/placement 
    i get how to figure out the brackets using the center...but any more info on how to make sure the pinion is where it needs to be when i'm going to burn the brackets on?

5. #5 Re: bracket measurements/placement 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    eyeball it, tack all the brackets, mock it up, then burn it in.

If your set-up isn't changing (other than your axles) you can match the pinion angle of your current axles.
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

6. #6 Re: bracket measurements/placement 
    For lower CA mounts, make sure both sides are the same distance from a fixed point on the outside of the axle, also measure from the axle bracket where i contacts the axle, to the beginning of the control arm and make sure they are the same on both sides, dont want a cock eyed axle!
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

7. #7 Re: bracket measurements/placement 
    lol so who gave me negative rep and a "retard" comment because i asked a question?

Thread Information