Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project SANDVIPR

Thread: Project SANDVIPR

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Project SANDVIPR 
    Howdy all- just finished up my new ride.... Looking for some feedback...
    I'll post some other build pics later, but here's a couple POSER shots first...
    '93 ZJ 42's, locked ton's, full-hydro, 5.38's 231, 8 pissed off squirrels- always looking to go bigger.....

2. #2 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Rig stats?
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

3. #3 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    holy shit thats sweet man, specs please. more build pics...those 38s or bigger? how far back is that axle...a build up would be great. looks good
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

4. #4 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95maxx View Post
    holy shit thats sweet man, specs please. more build pics...those 38s or bigger? how far back is that axle...a build up would be great. looks good
    '93 ZJ, +10 coils, 38.5/16.5/15 Baja Claws, HP44 front, 9" rear 5.38 gears, Triangulated upper rear, 53" lowers rear, 48" lowers front all 1/4 wall 2" DOM, Johnny joints all around, Sub-frame is reinforced, 231 t-case.

Front is streched 4" and the rear is + 16"
    '93 ZJ 42's, locked ton's, full-hydro, 5.38's 231, 8 pissed off squirrels- always looking to go bigger.....

5. #5 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Holy shit, thats a lot of stretch. Looks good though, keep the pictures coming and the build stages if you have them.

6. #6 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Definitely a BAD ASS build! Keep it up! Also, interested in those tube doors, any more pics or info? I'm going to be building some this week...

7. #7 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady View Post
    Definitely a BAD ASS build! Keep it up! Also, interested in those tube doors, any more pics or info? I'm going to be building some this week...
    I'll post up the whole project over the next few days. I took pics of almost everthing I did.
    The doors are just .120 wall 1.5" and the mounting plate bolts into the stock hinge bolt locations.

8. #8 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Looks awesome! Out of curiosity, why so long? Is this strictly a dune rig? It seeme like a 126" wheelbase would be a bitch in trees and stuff, but good work if it does what you want it to. Good luck with the 44 front.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

9. #9 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    It actually ended up being 128 center on center.

I only live about an hour from the dunes, so that's my stomping grounds. I'm headed to the badlands in IN this weekend to try it out on some rocks and granite faces.

I don't get into the trees much, so that shouldn't be much of an issue....

I left the 44 open for now because I didn't have the cash up front to get the Chromoly shafts, so I don't think that I'll wipe it out too quickly.

I like the vertical stuff, so that's what I built it for. It should run out OK on the rocks too.

10. #10 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    The class retard Lifetime Supporter ajmorell's Avatar
    Looks cool. I'm curious though, don't those tires rub like a beatch on your front fenders when you flex it out?

11. #11 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    They haven't touched them yet.... but I really haven't found anything big enough to really flex out on. I'm sure that I'll find out on the RTI ramp this weekend.....

I haven't installed bump stops yet, but I May need to this weekend. I'll be bringing my welder and some building materials along just in case......

12. #12 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    wow

13. #13 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandvipr View Post
    I'll post up the whole project over the next few days. I took pics of almost everthing I did.
    The doors are just .120 wall 1.5" and the mounting plate bolts into the stock hinge bolt locations.
    Alright cool, I've got PLENTY of that lying around from my internal cage. How does it open or how is it hinged? A close up on that would be sweet

14. #14 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    That's awesome man! Very different. Can I get a close up of what all you deleted below the rear quarter panel?
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

15. #15 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    WOW thats a sweet jeep.

Do you just use it for hillclimbs or do you catch some air with it too? (i'm guessing not based on the rear stretch, lack of a cage, and what shocks you appear to be running)
    On a side note, where did you buy your shovel? It seems to be holding up really well for the big hole you keep digging for yourself.
    '02 WJ- 2" RE BB/1 " EE rear BB, 31" Firestone Destinations, RE Twin tube shocks, DoubleJZ rear shock mod, JKS BPE's, JKS/KOR adj Trackbar w/ Rockwell bushings, Magnaflow exhaust, homebrew intake, torque management delete, and a whole lot of aviation grade ingenuity.

16. #16 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    can i see more pics of the boatsides?
    97 zj ltd. 5.2, 3.5 RE w/ adj track bar, 32 maxxis buckshots

17. #17 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandvipr View Post
    It actually ended up being 128 center on center.

I only live about an hour from the dunes, so that's my stomping grounds. I'm headed to the badlands in IN this weekend to try it out on some rocks and granite faces.

I don't get into the trees much, so that shouldn't be much of an issue....

I left the 44 open for now because I didn't have the cash up front to get the Chromoly shafts, so I don't think that I'll wipe it out too quickly.

I like the vertical stuff, so that's what I built it for. It should run out OK on the rocks too.
    Yeah I bet you're in the dunes all the time up there - the GF's from Whitehall and we pass through Holland on 31 on the way up from Indy when we visit her mom. I'm determined to make a prolonged stop and play in the sand one of these days . You'll probably wanna bring some extra 44 shafts cuz you'll have the wheels cranked pretty hard if you run some of the Badlands trails with that wheelbase (fwiw most fullsize guys around here shorten their wheelbase to fit on the trails better). Shouldn't have a problem with vertical stuff though.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

18. #18 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    wow. your jeep is amazing.nice graphics on the front fenders : )

19. #19 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    sweet man, love it!! can't wait to read some more specs/build up on this thing!! 8 pissed off squirrels, kinda seems that way sometimes doesn't it? lol
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

20. #20 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Thanks for the complements guys.....
    Origionally it was a stocker Limited 2 years ago , then the paint, lockers F&R and the 5.5" lift and 33's as listed below- I haven't updated that yet....
    Everything that's done to it shown now has been built since February. It's been a pretty busy 4 months to get to this point....
    I'm going to mount the new Daystar bumbs on the rears this weekend before I go and see how they hold up...

I'll have some extra time next week to load up all of the pics from the build and I'll do a small write-up on it. Don't worry- I'll detail the arms and doors per your requests.

As of last weekend it kicked ass in the dunes. No issues with anything hitting and it walked right up everything that I pointed the nose at. 2wd on almost everything and then I blew the tires out from under it in 4low.

I started out taking measurementsand comparing via the geomerty calculator, but I really wanted a dual-purpose dunes/rocks suspention and it needed to be long enough to give stability at high speeds and loose enough to go over rocks. It won't look like your standard rock-crawler when you see the pics, but it is incredibly versitle so far....
    I'll know more after this weekend.

I do have room for a rider if anyone wants to tag along/spot/take pics... Right now it's only my 13 year old son and I going- everyone else has plans that was origionally going with me...
    Just shoot me a PM if you want to ride down with us from MI or if you want to meet us down there.... I'll check the web-site Friday morning before we leave at 9AM.

21. #21 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    OK- the shake-down run went as expected with only 1 little glitch- bad fuel pump..... OK after 190,000+ miles I gues it has made it past it's life expectancy....

Here's a few shots that were requested over the last few days....
    Here's the beginning after the 6" lift w/33's

Here's the rear links:

Here's the front links:

Doors close-up of the hinge assy:

RTI ramp shots from this weekend:

And a couple vids of climbing around:

Sorry, I didn't get many close-ups of the boatsides, but it's just some 3/16" steel diamond plate 45'd where the rockers used to be. The sub-frame was reinforced with 1/4" 3x5 angle and the some 1/8" 2" square stock to tie in the diamond plate to the frame reinforcement. 3 tubes per side and it's held up great so far.

22. #22 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Also- someone mad a coment about the coils not being 10"- they are +10" TJ coils.... They measure out to something like 14" just standing free, but here's a shot in front of the skyjacker +2.5" coils:

23. #23 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Just bumping this one up... no responses after the additional pics and vids???

24. #24 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    looks pretty bad ass. post a vid of that thing getting some air!!
    2000 WJ. some lift and mods. deathwobble.
    CSM How High Off Road Club

25. #25 Re: Project SANDVIPR 
    Yeah... not too sure on the "big air" thingy.... no cage yet....
    That's going in this coming winter. After that though there'll be plenty of shots with the nose up, up, and away.....

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information