Thread: ARB or Detroit in the 9"?

1. #1 ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Hello All,

Picking up a big bearing 31 spline 9" over the weekend. Trying to decide on a locker and was looking for some experienced opinions. I am keeping the d30 up front and will be putting a selectable up there for sure when I regear.

I know there are a bunch of options for the 9" but I was thinking based on what i have read that either a Detroit for easy, less complicated and no extra dodads to break. On the other hand I have driven a TJ on 35's with what I was told was a detroit and it clicked and clacked like I was on a train around the turns.

So the ARB is a cool option. I already have a 15gallon CO2 tank so air is taken care of. And as of now and for an untold amount of time to come this will be my DD so a quiet seamless selectable for a few hundred dollars extra sounds like it makes sense.

So my question is how quiet and seamless is the Detroit soft locker? Or are there any other suggestions for locker options?

Thanks for the help in advance.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 05-11-2008 at 09:27 AM.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

2. #2 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    I went with a detroit in 9 inch on my WJ. If you have a 242 tcase or one with two wheel drive you will be ok with a detroit. If not then go with the ARB. That is because my 242 has a full time hi option which allows the front and rear drive shafts to rotate individually. With part time hi only tcases you will get binding when you turn in 4wd on the streets.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

3. #3 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Thanks for the advice. Do you have the "soft locker'? How does it perform on the snow/icey roads? Much noise when taking a turn?

Any way I can bug you for a pic of the 9" braketry/setup? Trying to get ideas for bracket mounting and trusses.

Since I am on JKS lower adjustable CA's and don't have the funds for long amrs I plan on doing a truss that integrates the rear A arm and spacer. That way when i do go to Long arms I can do the WJ kit.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

4. #4 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    I have the full on Detroit locker. Frankly I have no real issues in Ice and Snow with the Jeep in full time 4wd. If it is in part time 4wd on Ice it drives and steers like crap. In deep snow part time works great. In 2wd I do slide around but not too much. The only issue I have with the detroit is down shifting under hard acceleration. I feel a little body sway but not that much. I do hear the detroit now and then but never had any binding.

I think TnT customs has a truss for the 9 inch and should be able to provide the bolt pattern for the WJ A arm. The truss I have is a TnT and it fits the profile of the 9 inch housing instead of just a bridge like others make.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

5. #5 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Cool that settles it. I was torn but while $300 isnt a ton of money its still $300 that could go to disc breaks. Worst case is I get it in roll it around for a while and if I hate it I can always sell it and put the funds towards the hi9 down the road with the arb.

Thanks for the info on the truss. I will shoot them an email. Did you plate the ring gear hump?

If you get a chance would you mind taking a pic of the truss? I'd really like to see what she looks like.

Thanks again for the help.
    Will

6. #6 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Here is a link from Scott Colorado5.9's picture library. The first few are from before I went to the TnT LAs. Scroll down and you will see a couple pictures of the 9 inch with the TnT truss on it.

http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v1...rie%20%20Axle/

I did not put any extra skids on the axle besides the truss. Frankly not worried about it. The 9 inch housings are fairly stout with out it. I would have to back into a rock pretty hard to damage the ring gear.

7. #7 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Very cool. Thanks for the pix. That is a neat little bracket in the first few pix. Good inexpensive option.

I have emailed TNT to start the ball rolling and see what we can work out.

Thanks again for all the help. Have a good week.
    Will

8. #8 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Tell Bob or Matt that Keith S sent you there. Good guys.

Good Luck.

9. #9 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn WJ View Post
    Tell Bob or Matt that Keith S sent you there. Good guys.

Good Luck.
    Will do, thank you very much.
    Will

10. #10 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Hey Keith,

Tried to PM you but your box is full. Shoot me a PM or an email when you get a second. I have a question about your currie 9.

Thanks
    Will

11. #11 Re: ARB or Detroit in the 9"? 
    Sorry, I cleaned it out. Go ahead and send you PM again. Keith

Thread Information