Thread: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion

1. #1 Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    I've been monitoring this site for about 6 months and have gained a lot of info for setting my ZJ up for the trails we want to run. My son has an H3 Hummer that he wants to improve its articulation. It has the stock leaf springs and would like to look into converting the rear to coils. He ran my ZJ thru Charaleau Gap (near Tucson) and was so impressed with what the coils can do, He wants to convert his H3. He has already built a 3/4 ton F250 into a mudding truck with massive articulation, so he's no novice to it. Does anyone here know if it's been done? Where would he go to see if the rear half of a long arm kit for a ZJ or WJ could be made to fit?
    I told him to go buy a ZJ and build it, but he likes his H3.

Thanks for any help, Doug

2. #2 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Hasn't been done to my knowledge, but it should be no different than any other leaf to coil conversion: build some coil perches, build some control arms, and wheel it.

3. #3 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    yeah thats a good idea, take a $30,000 hummer and make it like a jeep... sounds like a good idea to me...

GET A JK!
    'h3 w/ coils' and it cheaper.
    Last edited by tywilson88; 04-28-2008 at 08:14 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Four Play View Post
    I'll probably go to Hell for that but fawk it, I'll upgrade my 1st class ticket and go for another pack of peanuts... cremation cost are on the rise anyway.

4. #4 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    If he wants to improve the articulation, why not put a solid axle in the front with coils/ coil overs and ditch the ifs? Leafs can be made to flex fairly easily and still be very stable, which is important, too. Longer shackles at a good angle (mignt have to relocate the hanger) along with longer (relocated/ triangulated) shocks will do a lot in that department.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

5. #5 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    This is funny especially since an H2 has coils, why they changed, oh wait to save money... Like it has been said cut, weld, and fab. Since you are stating out from scratch you should model it after other four links vs. using a track bar but then you will have to make sure you have clearance underneath.

Work the rear, see what you can get the attack the front, but that will be a lot more work.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

6. #6 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    You say why the change? The reason the H3 has leafs is becuase its just a re bodied chevy colarado. What an over priced piece in my opinion.

Quote Originally Posted by PassRunnerZJ View Post
    This is funny especially since an H2 has coils, why they changed, oh wait to save money... Like it has been said cut, weld, and fab. Since you are stating out from scratch you should model it after other four links vs. using a track bar but then you will have to make sure you have clearance underneath.

Work the rear, see what you can get the attack the front, but that will be a lot more work.
    94 ZJ 38" TSL's custom 3-link officially wheeled
    00 F350 dually tow master
    87 daihatsu minitruck

7. #7 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    Go buy a junk ZJ cut off the lower half. Cut the H3 in half. Weld lower ZJ to upper H3. Then you have a ZJH3/2, half the fun and twice the problems.

8. #8 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Quote Originally Posted by tywilson88 View Post
    yeah thats a good idea, take a $30,000 hummer and make it like a jeep... sounds like a good idea to me...

GET A JK!
    'h3 w/ coils' and it cheaper.
    I just paid 32k for a JK.
    Hummers are over 50k around here haha.
    new zj?

9. #9 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Last year he paid 34K for his H3. He is looking into the shackle possibility for the rear, and a frend is looking into a way to release the front sway bar. It can't be discoed and flipped up without hitting the wheel. A real dumb design for an offroad heep.

Thanks, Doug

10. #10 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Crasher View Post
    Last year he paid 34K for his H3. He is looking into the shackle possibility for the rear, and a frend is looking into a way to release the front sway bar. It can't be discoed and flipped up without hitting the wheel. A real dumb design for an offroad heep.

Thanks, Doug
    WKers have the same disco problem with IFS. Some of us are investigating the idea of a sleeved link - pull a disconnecting pin and the (cut) link can move like a piston within the sleeve. Since the IFS will restrict overall flex, you don't need to fully disconnect, just allow more movement.

11. #11 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Id put my money into a SAS in the front before i worked on a 4/5 link rear.

With work, leafs can perform very well... Ive never had faith in an IFS setup.

12. #12 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Id put my money into a SAS in the front before i worked on a 4/5 link rear.

With work, leafs can perform very well... Ive never had faith in an IFS setup.

agreed 100%, put money into SAS instead of changing rear. learn from the toyotas and nissan's, most everyone with them will leave the leaf's and put a solid in the front long before they get around to messing with the rear at all. my XJ even with short arms in the front and leafs in the rear flexed great, and if i wasn't getting rid of it then i'd be spending my money on longarms up front long before considering replacing the rear leafs.

i'm not saying a well done rear coil setup wouldn't be awesome, i just think you would see way more bang for the buck bay ditching IFS, better articulation, more options for aftermarket stuff, less likely to break

13. #13 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    If you're going to invest into the H3, the articulation from the rear axle is definitely not its weakest link...the front axle is where he is missing out on a ton of flex.

Doesn't make sense in my eyes to spend all that extra $ on the rear axle when that actually is working well and the front axle is the problem for flex.

Does his H3 even have a lift on it ? I think I'd go that route first before doing axle swaps, I bet he'd be able to do what he needs with 5" lift for the extra flex all around + 37's.
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

14. #14 Re: Hummer Coil Spring Conversion 
    Bring out your dead...

Lifting an ifs suspension is generally a waste anyway if it's going to get wheeled (there are some exceptions). H3s come with 33s stock and I've seen a couple with 35s with very slight trimming. I'd doubt the average H3 owner would be into trails that couldn't be done with 33-35s and a locker (don't they come stock with one in the rear?). Wheeling an ifs rig is different, but definitely do-able. If this guy is still around, I'd suggest ditching the swaybar(s) first and throw on some MTs if you haven't done something else yet.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

Thread Information