Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Tools for GWS

Thread: Tools for GWS

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Tools for GWS 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Ted_Z's Avatar
    No I'm not talking about the antendees.

As a follow up to my thread about spare parts I figure I'd start this thread for tools and gear. Things like 3/8" drive sockets, wrenches, ratchet straps, jacks, jack stands and whatever.

I have this feeling that half my garage is going to come with me to Moab.
    -Ted Z
    '97 Grand Cherokee Laredo w/ stuff
    '02 Grand Cherokee Limited w/ less stuff
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    everytime someone makes a bumper with a stinger, God kills 6 baby Koala's.

2. #2 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Half of Arlo's garage comes with him, so why not?

I found it was very helpful to have a good portion of my tools with me. Full socket set, and then the extras in my "field box". The red Craftsman box you saw in the back of my Heep when we went to Colorado A&P is fairly well stocked. I make sure to bring my electric impact and I make damn sure my axle socket is in there.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

3. #3 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    This year I an bringing my welder and a generator to power it
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

4. #4 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    Or you could be like a good deal of people & bring vertualy nothing & just let the veterens fix your jeep for you.

This is really not ment as as insult to them. Just a bit of a jab. There are lots of people that don't mind piching in tools and knowledge when it comes to trail repairs & even spair parts. Although I might be done with that. I still have not gotten a very expencive shock back I loaned out at GSSW.

It does baffle me that some have come with hardly anything at all though. Maybe because they're so new the the hobby & what not. I dahno.
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

5. #5 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Ryan, you might want to think about that...speed bumps could be a challenge with your already shitty departure angle

Scott, you're probably not too far off there. I honestly had a lot less spare parts last year than I will this year. It does take time to learn what all you should bring, and it takes truly looking at how remote some of the trails are.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

6. #6 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    No I'm not talking about the antendees.
    A few of those have shown up in the past too!!

Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    Half of Arlo's garage comes with him, so why not?

Arlo's floor jack FTW!!!

I'm with Scott, I don't see how people can just show up with nothing to fix their shit if it breaks. I don't know if it's being an Eagle Scout that makes me want to be prepared as possible, or just my desire to not have to rely on someone else to bail me out, but if there's even the SLIGHTEST chance I may need a tool or part that I have, it comes with. I bring every socket I have, all my ratchets, wrenches, hammers, screwdrivers, pry bars, whatever I can fit in my Rubbermaid box in the Jeep. Also bring along air tools for the CO2 tank. I also keep power tools like sawzalls, grinders, etc back at the hotel cuz there's usually some pretty intense repairs going on at night.

7. #7 Re: Tools for GWS 
    I made a trail repair kit a few years ago after a clubmember didn't have a lot of parts to fix his rig that day...So I bring this, in addition to my actual tools.

Floor jack (only ever brought that to Moab, Colorado trails just get a highlift)...jackstands, wrenches, ratchets, ratcheting wrenches
    -Ryan

8. #8 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Very good thinking on the drain pan too, that's one area that I'm kinda lacking in. I've got all the fluids I could ever need, but outside of napkins and paper towels I don't have much in the way of keeping fluids off the ground.

9. #9 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Very good thinking on the drain pan too, that's one area that I'm kinda lacking in. I've got all the fluids I could ever need, but outside of napkins and paper towels I don't have much in the way of keeping fluids off the ground.
    I still have an ice bucket from the deadstone that servers as my trail drop pan. Sadly, it was not with us on this last trip so we used a funnel on top of an empty 1 gal. water jug. Actaully worked very well.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

10. #10 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    I still have an ice bucket from the deadstone that servers as my trail drop pan. Sadly, it was not with us on this last trip so we used a funnel on top of an empty 1 gal. water jug. Actaully worked very well.
    Probably work a lot better than the Mtn Dew bottle we used to capture Cristi's steering fluid after she broke the steering box on Holy Cross!

11. #11 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Sandy carries the ultimate garage in the back of his Jeep!
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

12. #12 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    Sandy carries the ultimate garage in the back of his Jeep!
    I think he has a complete (dis-assembled) ZJ back there.

13. #13 Re: Tools for GWS 
    I also keep power tools like sawzalls, grinders, etc back at the hotel cuz there's usually some pretty intense repairs going on at night.
    I agree that there are several bulky/heavy things like jack stands or power tools that would be nice to have in Moab but don't make a whole lot of sense to have out on the trail. That said I can only hope it I really did need an angle grinder out on the trial that someone could shuttle me back to town. That reminds me, better pack the 2000W inverter too.

Right now my biggest fear is that I'll have 500lb of stuff bouncing around the back of the ZJ while out on the trail. I definetly need to be selective as to what will come out on the trail so I don't loose too much ride height. I figure if I cant get it into 2 containers plus a small tool box it stays in the hotel (or at home).
    -Ted Z

14. #14 Re: Tools for GWS 
    That jug of white stuff in my bin is oil absorbing stuff (basically cat litter)...it is amazing at cleaning up spills. I use it in my garage to clean up all my fluid spills
    -Ryan

15. #15 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Another thing I'll be stocking up on is the fluid "diapers" at Wally world. I wanna say Zorb or something like that. It's in the oil aisle, near the gear oil. They're like a buck a piece or something, but they soak up a whole lot of fluid. When you change out a radiator in a ZJ, you lose about a pint or so of ATF from the tranny cooler - put one of these in the path of the spill, and they soak it up very well.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

16. #16 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    So far all I have needed was Tom's BFH (2x) and Jim's spare hockey pucks. Needless to say my spare kit is... well spare.

17. #17 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    That jug of white stuff in my bin is oil absorbing stuff (basically cat litter)...it is amazing at cleaning up spills. I use it in my garage to clean up all my fluid spills
    I always carry a bag of that stuff with me, and have garbage bags to put in when I'm done. With a drain pan though if it was a "planned" fluid evacuation you could at least save some clean up time, and if needed/possible even re-use the fluid.

18. #18 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Quote Originally Posted by ArloGuthroJeep View Post
    In our fire department, we carry it on all of our fire and rescue trucks, it's called "Speedy-Dry" or "Oil-Dry". Same stuff they use on race tracks.

20 years ago, if we had an oil or fuel spill on the road, we would just charge the booster line and wash it off the road. Now, that is prohibited. We're not required to pick it up, but we just lay down the speedy dry, and leave it. Off road, we all need to be even more concerned about the environment. Carrying the jug of this stuff is a great idea. If you have an accidental spill you've got to do your best to absorb as much as possible, as quickly as possible, before it absorbs into the ground. Then scoop it all up and take it off the trail with you.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

19. #19 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ted_Z View Post
    I agree that there are several bulky/heavy things like jack stands or power tools that would be nice to have in Moab but don't make a whole lot of sense to have out on the trail. That said I can only hope it I really did need an angle grinder out on the trial that someone could shuttle me back to town. That reminds me, better pack the 2000W inverter too.

Right now my biggest fear is that I'll have 500lb of stuff bouncing around the back of the ZJ while out on the trail. I definetly need to be selective as to what will come out on the trail so I don't loose too much ride height. I figure if I cant get it into 2 containers plus a small tool box it stays in the hotel (or at home).
    Ratchet straps are your friend to keep that stuff tied down. The last thing you want in a roll is to get smacked in the head by a flying BFH.

A good power inverter is nice to have too. After Keith was so kind as to weld my tranny cooler line a few years ago on Cliffhanger we used an inverter and a dremel to cut the offending section of metal tranny line out and then sleeve it with high pressure fuel line.

20. #20 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Ratchet straps are your friend to keep that stuff tied down. The last thing you want in a roll is to get smacked in the head by a flying BFH.
    Do you trust the factory tie downs in the cargo area? They look kind of wimpy and appear to just be pop riveted to the body.
    -Ted Z

21. #21 Re: Tools for GWS 
    I've used the floor ones successfully, they seem nice and strong. The ones on the side panels suck balls.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    A bunch of KOR stuff

GSW 2010 Pics

22. #22 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    I've used the floor ones successfully, they seem nice and strong. The ones on the side panels suck balls.
    x2

I've had the side ones pop out many times, back when I still had panels in the back of the interior anyways. I've been using the cargo hooks on the floor for 8 years now without an issue. I had to remove one to mount my CO2 tank flat on the floor and they're in there pretty good.

23. #23 Re: Tools for GWS 
    A good power inverter is nice to have too. After Keith was so kind as to weld my tranny cooler line a few years ago on Cliffhanger we used an inverter and a dremel to cut the offending section of metal tranny line out and then sleeve it with high pressure fuel line.
    Power inverter? Can't you just plug it into the back of your center console?

Oh yeah, that's right, that's only available on the 2008s.

24. #24 Re: Tools for GWS 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    I am sure there are other contacts, but one of the race teams I work with is in Moab and he has already told me that if we need anything while we are there he has a full garage that we are welcome to use if needed.

Just throwing that out there. I actually need to swing by and say hello while I am in town.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

25. #25 Re: Tools for GWS 
    Supporting Vendor GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    There is this stuff called pete-sorb (I think) It breaks down the enzimes in oils and fluids to make it less hazardess to the enviroment and it is completley bio-degradable (SP) So there is no clean up. Aslo Pig-Pads are great they can actually pull oil from water without soaking up much water. The water it does absorb can be squezzed out without the oil leaving the pad.
    Barbaric Suspension & Fab

KevinsOffRoad.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information