Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Goldensd's Build Pics -3/12 Rear Spring Revamp - Page 6

Thread: Goldensd's Build Pics -3/12 Rear Spring Revamp

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. #126 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Thanks,

Haven't actually cut the fender at all. I made a plate first out of 1/4" that is cut to fit and bolted/welded in place. The tube was bent to the same fender well shape and then cut in half and welded to the plate.

Here's a pic of just the plate clamped in place to check the fit:

'97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

2. #127 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Damn man impressive work as always, lookin great too!
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #128 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    Damn man impressive work as always, lookin great too!
    Thanks man, we need to make sure and get together for some runs this summer.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

4. #129 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensd View Post
    Thanks man, we need to make sure and get together for some runs this summer.
    Hell yeah, I want to wheel the piss outta the jeep this summer, gunna be baller.
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

5. #130 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    ....... Lifetime Supporter rstrucks's Avatar
    Nice looking work. What size tube did you use?
    Thank you to those that serve our country.

6. #131 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Quote Originally Posted by rstrucks View Post
    Nice looking work. What size tube did you use?
    Thanks, I used 1 1/4" tube, and it is almost an exact fit to the width of sheetmetal below the door.

7. #132 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Got some new "road tread" under the jeep.... I finally pulled the plug and went to a trailer so I could have a little more fun, and a lot less worries of driving home while on the trail:

And here's a couple pics of stretching things out on Barrett Lake Trail this weekend:

8. #133 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    love your zj looks really good
    2000 WJ. some lift and mods. deathwobble.
    CSM How High Off Road Club

9. #134 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    WAIT WAIT WAIT...you were on Barrett this weekend!? Did you make it back to the lake?...I was there from Friday to monday!

God damnit so close yet so far lol!
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

10. #135 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    WAIT WAIT WAIT...you were on Barrett this weekend!? Did you make it back to the lake?...I was there from Friday to monday!

God damnit so close yet so far lol!

Damn, we really gotta start talking here. You must've been some of them that I heard roll in late on Friday. I got to Wright's about noon on Friday and stayed 'till Monday morning. It was more of a "family" camp weekend so I didn't wheel much, and had planned on driving over to the Cantina on the 'Con on Sunday, but the GF drug me on a 6 hour hike instead. My buddy and I went a couple hours in/out on Saturday just to play, but that was about it for the trail. Passed and talked to a few Samari buggies and heard it actually wasn't that crowded back there, which surprised me. I was back there a couple weekends ago and it was packed, so I figured it would really be busy this weekend.

I think the destination makes Barrett one of my favorite trails. We lucked out a couple weekends ago, and had a group trying to cover up one of the best camp spots there, but since we knew it was up there, we were able to walk past them and grab it at about 11:00 that Friday night. Here's a pic from in front of my tent:

Since I'm sure you tried it, I'm curious did you make it straight up the middle of the rock garden without lockers?

I guess I'll just hope to meet up with you at GSR.

11. #136 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    I hit the trail head with my buddy in a Cherokee around 5:30 friday afternoon, hit the trail by 6 and got to the lake by 8:30, we made good time! I bypassed the right line through the rock garden that night, for the sake of making the lake in good time but my friend prettty much walked it with his leaf sprung cherokee on 35" SX's locked in the rear. I had him back up for one reposition. Saturday we actually wheeled back out to the rock garden to play around for a while, my friend with a yota on 37" MTR's locked front and rear got denied, tried a few different lines. I gave it a shot and walked right through it without slipping a tire. It was great...got to give him so much shit over it hahaha. I'm locked in the rear, but the front's still open until I get my 9" together! It wasn't crowded at all though, probably about half the camp spots were being used. We couldn't understand it, and we heard the rubicon wasn't very crowded during the cantina either, most people were staying around the spillway.

I just moved and haven't got the internet set up in the new place yet so the only time I've been able to check up on sites has been at school so bleh. I'm actually leaving for the marlin crawler roundup on the rubicon tonight, staying till sunday so I'm out again haha!

OH, and the huge black peak thats like 90* out the left side of your picture...hiked up it sunday afternoon. It was AWESOME. Once I get the internet at my new place I'm uploading all sorts of pics from the hike, it was badass.
    Last edited by AgitatedPancake; 09-09-2010 at 01:00 PM.
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

12. #137 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Sweet, its always fun to get a one up on the friends, huh. I figured you'd do good with the new clearance you've got on your sides. That's where I seem to get hung up the most is by getting high centered on the rock that my passenger tire is hitting in the pic. Always seems to take a few tries to get the right spot there.

Yeah, there are some awesome hikes in the area. I hit the tops East of Wrights and could see Loon lake and even out to Sac Valley.

13. #138 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics 
    Quote Originally Posted by goldensd View Post
    What brand are those recessed fog lamps? Thanks.
    I collect Jeeps.

The Polar Bear Build on Mall Crawlin
    The Polar Bear Detailed Build

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

14. #139 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics 
    Quote Originally Posted by downtowncb View Post
    What brand are those recessed fog lamps? Thanks.
    I think they were just some autozone or pepboy cheapies. I typically just look for good deals on ones with the right size metal housings and replaceable bulbs, and then put some better output bulbs in them.

i think they are either 3 1/2 or 4"

15. #140 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Ahh I see. Do they have glass lenses? Starting to design my new bumper and I like the look of these but I want some that will last.
    I collect Jeeps.

"Don't argue with an idiot, they will drag you down to their level and beat you with experience."

16. #141 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Ahh I see. Do they have glass lenses? Starting to design my new bumper and I like the look of these but I want some that will last.
    Yes, you'd also want to make sure they've got a glass lense.

17. #142 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Wow, can't believe how long it's been, I finally got enough time here and there to finish the rear tube fenders out. Here's a few pics.

18. #143 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Jeep Whore's Avatar
    the fenders look super clean on there.
    _______.00000. << ---Mine------____.____.
    //_|__l__,\____\,___---Dads>> /l __,[____],_
    l_--\__\__l---\[]llllll[]| -----------l--|_|-L-OllllllllO-
    (o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ----------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ View Post
    Glws = good looking wagon sir

Those tube fenders are awesome. Looks great man
    -Ronnie
    98 5.9 on 35s
    Subscribe to our Channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/ClemsonOffroadClub

20. #145 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    What did you use to paint those, color matched aerosol?
    I collect Jeeps.

21. #146 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    What did you use to paint those, color matched aerosol?
    You got it. It was the"color matched." Not exactly a match, evenly though it is the same paint code. It it quite a bit darker, but it does lay down very smooth and consistent for a spray can metallic.

22. #147 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -4/13/10 -Rear Tube Fenders 
    Damn clean. Looks stock!
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

23. #148 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -3/12 - Rear Spring Revamp 
    Wow, didn't realize how long its been. Finally got finished with a little rearend revamp on the springs/shocks. This started with my rear swaybar finally giving way at GSR last year, so I figured I'd take the opportunity to redo some stuff I hadn't been liking.

For starters, I had a set of springs under the rear that were too short and too soft and not aligned quite right top to bottom. I had a way to much build up in the perches and spacers for my likeing and the springs had had it, so I was constantly on the bumpstops. Part of this was also because of the shock setup. So I took the opportunity to work on both.

I hunted around and found some 4.5" BDS Front Springs with a 240# rate that calc'd out to fit if I eliminated all of the extra spacing I could. Overall, I added about 1/2-3/4" of lift as it sits, and I'm just going to leave it at that for a bit to see if the springs settle out any.

At the same time, I had been looking at the way I had done my original upper shock mounts and wanted to relocate it to help with shock positioning. I replaced the previous tube with a 2x2x1/4 and pushed it up against the floor and back a little further. This allowed me to take a little of the angle out of the shock, and increase up travel some more. I'm still working on final positioning and need to get some bumps and straps going, but that's about it.

It rides like a completely different vehicle, can't wait for the trail test.

Here's the original setup:

And now:

24. #149 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -3/12 Rear Spring Revamp 
    Badass! Those springs will probably do good things for you especially how most of us wheel around here with a couple hundred pounds of gear in the back. I also uprighted my bilsteins when I installed them vs my old triangulated setup, it really is a night and day difference! Yours are pretty vertical now, nice work
    The Blue Submarine

RIDE!”

25. #150 Re: Goldensd's Build Pics -3/12 Rear Spring Revamp 
    Love the work man. I'll be looking at this more when I add some tube to my fenders this summer.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
Thread Information