Thread: question

1. #1 question 
    im new to this sight and i had a question i am in the planning process of building a 1942 cj2a buggy i got thi vehicle with a buick "dauntless" v6 and a t19 tranny unsure of a tcase. i just picked up a set of 2.5 and 4.5 inch coils for the front of a xj and i was wondering if this would be heavy enough springs to buggy it it wont have and y body just tube and goal is to keep it under 3500 pounds is this realistic also should i build the buick motor (read rebuild) or should i swap something in? if i do a swap what motor would be good? Thanks for the info and sorry if the post is hard to understand and for the newbie questions
    42 cj2a project "junk"

2. #2 Re: question 
    CJ2A's weren't built until '46. I think those springs should be good though. As for the Dauntless...I've heard it's a pretty good motor. I think whether to rebuild that or to swap something else in would depend on the overall goal of the project. And I take it somebody swapped in the V6...because the 2A's only came with the four cylinder.

3. #3 Re: question 
    would anyone know of a place where i could get dauntless parts? and im not usure of the year so maybe it is a later 40s vehicle
    42 cj2a project "junk"

4. #4 Re: question 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Is Dauntless the 225 Buick? If so, it was heavily used in racecars years back. When I had my '67 CJ5, I was able to find reman and pulled parts from a racing supply place here in Denver.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

5. #5 Re: question 
    i just did some research and it is the 225 buick and it has a t14 3 speed tranny that option was introduced in 1966 in cj5 and 7s and the commando they are saying 190 hp and 230 tourqe oh and i forgot to mention i realy like this site and will be a supporter when i can get some extra cash
    Last edited by wheelaholic; 02-25-2008 at 04:03 PM.
    42 cj2a project "junk"

6. #6 Re: question 
    What is your final goal? Tire size?

7. #7 Re: question 
    i want to weigh in under 3500 pounds with a double triangulated 4 link in the rear and a 3 link up front is this a good idea? and i want to run a 38 or 39 bogger with a low center of gravity maybe like 6 foot to the top of the cage (is that feasable?)
    42 cj2a project "junk"

8. #8 Re: question 
    Do a V8 swap. It'd be more worth the money over the V6 rebuild.

If you're going to remove the body from the frame and buggy it, why not start with a frame that is longer and stronger than a CJ2A frame? The longer frame would be better to accomodate a longer wheelbase.

Also, I don't mean to sound like a dick or anything, but how much wheeling/fabbing experience do you have? To me it sounds like you don't have much so making a jump to a buggy on 38's or 39's would be a little past your experience level. That is just what it sounded like to me, so forgive me if I am wrong.

9. #9 Re: question 
    i have been wheeling and building rigs for about 5 years
    42 cj2a project "junk"

10. #10 Re: question 
    i also just am finishing up a 88 xj for my buddy with dodge 150 rears up front and 41/2 inch lift xj springs in rear with a fuel injected v6 and 4 speed so i have a little experiance since i have helped build many vheicles from race cars to granny cars this will be my first 4 link undertakeing so any helpfull info would be great
    42 cj2a project "junk"

11. #11 Re: question 
    Dont skimp on the four link, spend as much as you can afford on the joints. Search the 4 link calculator, and look on here as i'm sure you already have. Theres a lot of really good info on here.I'm not even done with my build yet, and i'm already looking to upgrade my joints. I thought 3/4 heim joints were big enough, until i found out what others were breaking. and good look

12. #12 Re: question 
    Oh and eat shit.....welcome

13. #13 Re: question 
    hahaha thanks for the welcome atleast i got a better outcome that i would have gotten on pirate andi was planning on ballistic fabs rebuildable joints or something of the like
    42 cj2a project "junk"

Thread Information