Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
New Rear Bumper Build - Page 4

Thread: New Rear Bumper Build

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
  1. #76 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Nice build looks like we got another KOR in the making.Guess he'll be taken orders by mid summer.
    03 GC Laredo 4.0
    (on the way)
    2.5 KOR
    UC Springs
    RE Shocks

2. #77 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    do you think the bumper would work on a wj also with some minnor tweaking bending welding all the fun stuff

3. #78 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by welder666420 View Post
    do you think the bumper would work on a wj also with some minnor tweaking bending welding all the fun stuff
    If by "minor, tweaking, bending, and welding" you mean "designed and built for a WJ", then yes.

I'm sure you could use the same principles and similar shapes to make one for a WJ.
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=15667

4. #79 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Solid looking bumper.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

5. #80 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    I'm in awe, Shawn - you went from a solid mount to a fully customized bumper built around YOUR rig. Every bend and tweak is catered to the lines (accidental or intentional) of your Heep. The amount of time you spent on it definitely shows.
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

6. #81 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by fpkites View Post
    I'm in awe, Shawn - you went from a solid mount to a fully customized bumper built around YOUR rig. Every bend and tweak is catered to the lines (accidental or intentional) of your Heep. The amount of time you spent on it definitely shows.
    Thanks, much appreciated
    '97 ZJ Limited, Atlas II, 35" KM2's, 4.5" RE Springs + ACOS Spacers w/ Clayton's Longarms, Ford 8.8 w/ Triangulated Bilstein 5150's, Waggy D44, Lockers Front and Rear, and Lots of other customs stuff....

7. #82 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Well, my time spent finishing this thing up the last few weeks has been pretty sporatic, but I've got all but a few pieces finished and the first round of grinding complete. Now I've just got to finish up a little welding and add a couple last pieces, and then start smoothing it out and getting ready to paint. So far everything came together quite well, EXCEPT for the sides. As hard as I tried to keep it from happening somehow I still got movement when welding it up, and the sides flared out on me a bit. At the fenderwell they are out about 1/4 to 3/8" farther than I'd like. I guess that will motivate me to start working on my next thought of tubed flares around the fenders.

I pulled it out today to get a good look before pulling it off to finish up, so here are a few pics:

For the storage compartment cover I looked around for some of your guys ideas, but didn't come up with anything I really liked, so I stuck with the tapered bolts, which I happened across in stainless. It really only take a few seconds to pop them in and out so not a big deal, as long as keep an allen wrench around.

As for pulling the cover off, I was messing with several ideas, but one of my buddies mention springs, and what a great idea it was. I made some retainers and the lid is spring loaded so that I don't need any finger holes in the top of it:

The next pics should have it painted and ready for action!!!

8. #83 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Nice angles, very functional, very impressive!
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

9. #84 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Just an awesome job overall!

The little springs you put in to pop the cover up are an example of really thinking a design through, and yet another clever solution on your part.

Overall, your concept is excellent. I wonder if it will really hold up if slamed into the rocks multiple times. You used lighter gauge steel than I have been thinking about when I get around to building bumpers. Given your tools at hand (110 v weld etc.) I'm not sure you had any option. Clearly you made a choice to make something much stronger than stock, but not bullit proof either. I encourage you to wheel your rig hard and report back to us so we will all know if these 250 lb 3/8" steel bumpers that we see people making really are overkill.
    Last edited by Skyline; 04-12-2008 at 08:34 PM.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

10. #85 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    awesome job, best bumper i've seen built and definently is the coolest with the storage compartment. i like your front bumper as well, just for the note
    97 V8 zj.
    35"KM2s.aussies,4.88s,full chromos,1 ton hi steer in the 44/8.8.KOR/Clayton longarms.
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...ad.php?t=17603

03 Cobra with horsepowers

11. #86 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post

The little springs you put in to pop the cover up are an example of really thinking a design through, and yet another clever solution on your part.

Overall, your concept is excellent. I wonder if it will really hold up if slamed into the rocks multiple times. You used lighter gauge steel than I have been thinking about when I get around to building bumpers. Given your tools at hand (110 v weld etc.) I'm not sure you had any option. Clearly you made a choice to make something much stronger than stock, but not bullit proof either. I encourage you to wheel your rig hard and report back to us so we will all know if these 250 lb 3/8" steel bumpers that we see people making really are overkill.
    My 110v welder will do upto 5/16" steel and was used to build my bumper which just finished wheeling Golden Spike carrying a 33" spare and I hammer the bumper and rear end quite a few times. If you burn in good welds it isn't a problem. Looking at the quality of work and reading the steps I'm sure his welds are good. Third trip on Golden Spike, multiple other trips in Moab including Moab Rim, many trails in Colorado with the bumper carrying 31" spares over the last two and a half years without a problem.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

12. #87 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post

Thanks!!

First off: Nothing is built completely bulletproof
    Secondly: if you are thinking you need to use 3/8" for a bumper, then yes that is completely overkill in my opinion.

As for my choices, I'd say my steel selection was made based on my experiences and what I was trying to accomplish, not my welder. With the correct procedures, I even trust my welds on the 1/2" I used to make the clevis tabs.

I've actually only used 1/8" steel on the upper parts of the bumper that usually won't take major hits. Anything on the bottom side is made out of 3/16". Also, if you notice on all of the heat marks on the side of the bumper that is the reinforcement behind the 1/8" areas. By leaving no more than 1-2 inches of gap between support, I believe the 1/8" will hold up. I used this same principle on the front, and I have slammed the front into some rocks pretty hard and had to slide across them and all I got were some scratches and a slight dimple.

I haven't seen too many of the aftermarket bumpers in person, but I can say that this is way stronger than the ones I have seen.

13. #88 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    somethin that nice needs to be taken to a powdercoater...not just sprayed
    Matt
    December '09 ROTM
    93 ZJ 5.2 242J
    HP30-truetrac/D44a-Aussie 4.56
    6.5" Long Arms, 35"s

14. #89 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by 93ZeeJ View Post
    somethin that nice needs to be taken to a powdercoater...not just sprayed
    yeah but then every time you scratch it, it needs to be redone, very pricy
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

15. #90 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post

and you can just spray it and when it gets scratched you can touch it up
    97 V8 zj.
    35"KM2s.aussies,4.88s,full chromos,1 ton hi steer in the 44/8.8.KOR/Clayton longarms.
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...ad.php?t=17603

03 Cobra with horsepowers

16. #91 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    you have the nicest set of bumpers out there IMO. incredible
    '98 ZJ 5.9L Ltd
    UC Springs/.5" spacer/MX6 Shocks/SCT Tuned/BBK 52mm TB/K&N FIPK/Amsoil Filter/"Jeep" Valve Covers/Doug Thorley Headers/Random Technologies Cat/Magnaflow/"Kolak" Ignition/Optima Redtop/Lotek Dual Pillar Pod/AEM Tranny Temp Gauge/Mag-Hytec Tranny Pan/RB1 WJ Nav/Vancos/EU Headlights and Turn Signals/Turn Signal Mod/JKS Disconnects

Waiting to be installed
    M1/Insulated Fuel Rails/24lb FMS Injectors/Underdrive Crank Pulley/Walbro Fuel Pump/Prothane Bushings/Hotchkis Swaybars

17. #92 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Nice Duc!
    my zj - 95 V8 WIP 3.5" R.E. s-flex, KOR adjustable track bar, 31" SSRs on 15" Ds, working on custom bumper

her zj - 96 4.0 stock

Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan View Post
    Run a can of seafoam through

18. #93 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    Nope, not true.

You can touch up powdercoating - they mix the pigment with adhesive (like clearcoat, varnish, something like that). Not an absolute match, but supposedly very close. Also not as durable, but you could at least reduce the number of times you have to have the bumper redone.

Also, a bumper that nice would look great painted bodycolor but that's pretty much impossible with powdercoat.

19. #94 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    great build!!!!! you say that you think all finished its about a hundred pounds
    |^^^^^^^^^^^^^^| ||
    |....BUD LIGHT..........| ||'|";, ___.
    |_..._..._______===|=||_|__|..., ] -
    (@)'(@)"""''"**|(@)(@)*****''(@)

20. #95 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Awesome man, I like it.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

21. #96 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by radar95zj View Post
    great build!!!!! you say that you think all finished its about a hundred pounds
    thanks to everyone!!!!

No, all said and done I think it is about 100 lbs beyond the factory hitch assembly that I used as the mount. I'd guess the hitch mount itself weighs 80 lbs or so. I can still pick it up and move it around by myself, but it certainly has some weight to it, and I use my floor jack to install it.

22. #97 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by Z View Post
    Nope, not true.

You can touch up powdercoating - they mix the pigment with adhesive (like clearcoat, varnish, something like that). Not an absolute match, but supposedly very close. Also not as durable, but you could at least reduce the number of times you have to have the bumper redone.

Also, a bumper that nice would look great painted bodycolor but that's pretty much impossible with powdercoat.
    As much as a PIA as it is, I agree. I still have some matching paint left so, at least for now my plan is to paint it toomatch the body just as I did the front. The biggest problem with that is dealing with the touch ups, as I have found that the automotive paints aren't too friendly to small brush touchups.

23. #98 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj4play View Post
    Nice Duc!
    thanks, but not mine. I ride the R6 Raven that is covered up behind what you see.

24. #99 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    Well I would have gotten this thing finished and painted last weekend, but I suffered a major setback...... Spring Fever!!!!

I got invited to try Rubicon for some snow wheelin and to see how bad the snow still was up there. It was still too thick at the Rubicon so we just camped Friday night at Loon Lake and then headed over and ran a trail and stayed a night at Hell Hole Reservoir.

Here are a few pics of the bumper in primer. Got a couple new scratches to cover up now before final paint, but the new clearance on the rear corners is awesome. I was constantly hitting the stamped steel before when coming off of stuff, and don't think I hit this thing on the bottom once. Did however manage to break a shock off right where the shaft connects to the bottom eye. Still not sure how, since I have limit straps and bump stops on the thing.

25. #100 Re: New Rear Bumper Build 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    That is AWESOME!!!!!!!!
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
Thread Information