Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
tera flex 60 rear end

Thread: tera flex 60 rear end

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 tera flex 60 rear end 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter 5.9 ANDY's Avatar
    http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/545359906.html

what do you guys think about that axle?
    i know absolutly nothing about custom axles like this.

I am selling this brand new Teraflex Tera60CRD axle. The CRD is the latest design from Teraflex, similar to the Curry Rock Jock. Go to Teraflex's website for more details. This axle is brand new and includes,,,housing,Moser inner axles,ARB locker, ring and pinion, and Ford disc brakes. As you can see in the pics, there are no brackets on the axle tubes, so it can be used for rock crawling rig, buggy project, or a jeep with the correct brackets added.Total width is 62". I am asking $4000.00 OBO, I need to sell soon. Call 916-798-9457
    Last edited by 5.9 ANDY; 01-25-2008 at 01:12 PM.
    proud Lance Corporal in the Unted States Marine Corps.

Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post

This website is bad for the health of your vehicles, enjoy your stay

2. #2 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    $4000 sounds like an awful lot of coin for that. You could build a 60 for less if you start with a junkyard housing.
    jdhutton---not sure why you wanna go fast in a lifted jeep. its kinda like strapping a jet pack to a retard. just doesnt make sence.

3. #3 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    that was my thought as well, $4000 dollars is alot of money no matter what.

i could get a D60 or even like a massive dana 70 for just over $100.

4. #4 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    I think that's too much money. It doesn't even have brakes or hubs. I wouldn't buy it.

5. #5 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Actually, I'd bet that it would cost more than $6,000 to buy one of those new. While you could build a junkyard axle up with alloy shafts, ARB locker and the like, it will not match a Currie or Tera axle with a custom made housing for strength.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

6. #6 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    its got brakes, there just not on it right now. i will proably just get an 8.8 out of an eddie bowier ford exploder.

7. #7 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY View Post
    and Ford disc brakes.
    Yep you're right...didn't see it. I still don't think it's worth it.

8. #8 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Quote Originally Posted by ZJ Pappy View Post
    I still don't think it's worth it.
    i agree, now im curious, so just for the sake of discussion.... how large of tires could this axle handle with the ARB, and those moser shafts?

9. #9 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    definitely not worth it. maybe for a comp buggy, but not a zj/wj/etc. if i were to spend that kind of money on an axle i'd go with a spidertrax 9inch housing with a hi-9 third member
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

10. #10 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    $4000 seems more han a little on the high side. Thats worth more than I spent on my Dana 44 + Ford 9" and my long arms combined.

11. #11 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Quote Originally Posted by 5.9 ANDY View Post
    i agree, now im curious, so just for the sake of discussion.... how large of tires could this axle handle with the ARB, and those moser shafts?
    depends on the vehicle, driver, terrian, etc. i'd say it would handle 44s reliably on anything smaller than a fullsize with a healthy (<400hp) motor.
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

12. #12 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    I've run my STOCK D60 rear from almost 10years now, first 5 were in a 1/2 Dodge p/u with a built up 360 running 35" tires, last 5 were in my XJ(4.0) with 36" tires. Cost $150 at a wrecker 10 years ago, 3 years ago I regeared it(5.38s) and did the brakes, $300. For traction I just welded the carrier. Has never let me down once. The only maintance it sees is oil change once a year and every so often I crank up the adjustment on the drum brakes. If I ever break a shaft I'd probably just replace it with another junkyard stocker, the originals have lasted this long.

For $4000 I would expect that to be in a serious competition buggy pushing some big HP. There's better things to do with $4000 on a ZJ.
    1998 5.9er, 6" Claytons Long arm, D30(elocker), Rubi D44 rear, TJ Addco rear sway bar, WJ knuckles/brakes, 4.10s, 33s, 9.5ti

'93 ZJ LTD, 5.2L, Claytons Longarm, 8" lift D44 front(w/elocker), D60 rear(welded), 37" IROKS, 5.38s, 9.5ti<scrapped>

13. #13 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    People put custom built axles into a lot more than just competition buggies these days. I guess it helps get people over the ultimate fear of breaking off road. If you wheel with your family, you don't really want a broken axle to spoil your fun. 'Cause that will be the last time they will ride with you. So what's an extra couple thousand dollars at each end of your rig in a world when people are driving $80,000 suvs? It's insurance, plain and simple. Can you build something 95% as strong for half the price? Sure...but that requires more skill than even many 4X4 shops have.

And if you have any doubt that only Wranglers and buggies are getting these things, pick up the March 2008 4 Wheel Drive and Sport Utility magazine. It has an article on Tom Wood's personal ZJ. It's got custom built Dynatrac 44s at both ends. That's close to $14,000 in axles in a $3,000 vehicle. (Not to mention he dumped in a new engine and transmission... another $5k or so!) I don't understand why he didn't use the less expensive Dynatrac 60's; one must presume that this was a promotional deal of some sort. I'm not saying I would buy somthing like this myself, but if my bank account had an extra zero or two on the tail end, I probably would.
    Last edited by Skyline; 01-25-2008 at 03:10 PM.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

14. #14 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Thats a bitchen axle, but I don't think they are very well suited for daily driving duties because of the oiling. Super high clearance though.

I haven't priced the parts, but I bet you could build a 9 with a custom housing for less than that and it would be better suited for mixed use rig.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

15. #15 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Thats a bitchen axle, but I don't think they are very well suited for daily driving duties because of the oiling.
    Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by that?

Support Our Troops!!!

16. #16 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Thats a bitchen axle, but I don't think they are very well suited for daily driving duties because of the oiling. Super high clearance though.

I haven't priced the parts, but I bet you could build a 9 with a custom housing for less than that and it would be better suited for mixed use rig.
    I agree, a custom 9 would be better. I may be mistaken, but aren't high pinion rears weaker than a low pinion? Like how a hp front is stronger than a lp...but opposite.

17. #17 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    if i was gona do some serious investing into axles for my ZJ, i would cet portals.

actualy, some guy like 2 hours south of me has a set of 416 portals with 4:88 gears.

18. #18 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    I have front and rear CRD 60's in my rig. Love em, they were pretty spendy but they havent had a problem yet. I think it was right about 11k for the front and rear.

As far as putting them in a DD, I wouldnt do it. Like Cody said you could build a sweet pair of 9's for was less than that.

Sweet axles tho!
    R.I.P Davey "Kyle" Halabuk

Behold the pale horse. The man who sat on him was death, and Hell followed with him.

19. #19 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Excuse my ignorance but what do you mean by that?
    because it's a shaved and rotated custom housing there isn't as much fluid in there, and it has to use some crazy "slinger" at the bottom in order to get oil back up to the top and I don't think it's well suited for prolonged high speed application. I'm sure a quick call to Tera would answer the question.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

20. #20 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    with a standard rear end, dosent the lower part of the ring gear and the carrier act as the slinger?

21. #21 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    yes, but because of the angle of the ring gear and internals, it doesn't work as well in the CRD 60's.

22. #22 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Well, I happen to have a Tera 60 in the rear and a Tera 50 in the front. I drive my Grand all over town and from Sacramento, Ca to Moab, Ut without any problems, yet. I have had them for a few years now and I LOVE THEM!!!
    Yes, they are alot of $$$. But the upgrade is worth it to me. I think my rear axle was $6,000-$6,500, and the front was around $5,000-$5,500. Again, The extra money for me was worth it.
    Mine are 3" tube with 1/2" thick, upgrade shaft, ARB's lockers, gears & disc brakes. I only run 35" tires. Yes, you could run 44" its a well built 60 with tons of clearance.
    I love the reaction people have when they see my Grand out preform most other Jeeps out on the trail, Especially TJ Rubicon's!
    Don't get me wrong I love the Rubicons and I am not talking shit about them. I have many friends wheeling them.
    On trails, no one wants to be behind me. They think I am going to hold them up or brake down. After a couple of hours, they are asking me- What the hell do you have in that thing? Then they look under and just say Oh, holly shit!

Skyline & Cody- I have to agree with both of you. You guy's have many good points, I would rather spend the extra money now and not break down and have to fix my rig while on the trail or have to put more money towards fixing a broken stock D-30, D-35, D-44 or 9". (Just my opinion).
    Also (I hope never) But, if I were to roll or total out the ZJ- Hopefully, I could use the parts to build a new Jeep/Buggie/Wheeler.

5.9 Andy- It's really not that bad for that Axle. So, If someone had the money or wanted to spend $4,000. It's not a great deal but worth it.
    Don't forget to add in for time, parts, labor, welding and setting up the gears and what have you.

Again, Just my opinion,
    Ron
    Last edited by wheelnzj; 01-25-2008 at 10:34 PM.
    95 ZJ 5.2L/ Atlas II/ 8.5" Custom R.E.L.A. Kit with 35" MTR's on MT true beadlocks/ Ft Tera 50 with 31-spline alloy shafts/ Rear Tera 60 with 35-spline alloy shafts/ ARB's/ 4.56 gears/ winch/ FT & Rear bumpers/ custom rock sliders/ etc. etc.

23. #23 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    I'm not knocking the axle, I had just thought I read somewhere that these were more suited for offroad only application. No shame in building axles that are hard to break for reliability reasons.

24. #24 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    you have about $12,000 invested in your axles.. and you run 35's?

I definitely understand building stuff that won't break, but you could build a 44 and 9" with arb's, chromo's and every other bell and whistle for less than half that. And with 35's, you'd never have a problem.

If you've got the money... more power to ya! They are sick axles for sure. I'm jealous.

25. #25 Re: tera flex 60 rear end 
    Quote Originally Posted by dell30rb View Post
    you have about $12,000 invested in your axles.. and you run 35's?

I definitely understand building stuff that won't break, but you could build a 44 and 9" with arb's, chromo's and every other bell and whistle for less than half that. And with 35's, you'd never have a problem.

If you've got the money... more power to ya! They are sick axles for sure. I'm jealous.

Any of the guys in my NE wheeling club will tell you theres a huge reliability difference between a JY 60 than a Solid axle 60 or the tera. If you have the money for the Solid or Tera its the way to go, but its way cheaper to get a d60 out of the junk yard and will definately be way stronger than what we have now.

If you dont want to trailer your rig, and have something you can drive daily, the setup wheelnzj has is awesome.

That is a sweet rig man
    Nick
    03 WJ 4.7 242HD Kolak/IRO 5" Clayton LA's
    35" BFGoodrich KM2

sira4x4.net North East Offroad Club
    www.carolinadriveline.com
    www.ironrockoffroad.com
    kolak@aol.com

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information