Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
jeep + bike

Thread: jeep + bike

1. #1 jeep + bike 
    I need a new way to carry bikes with my jeep. I was thinking something like this:

mounted inside my jeep somewhere, I use my jeep to get to where I go biking. roof rack puts the bikes too high and trunk mount racks suck balls and has issues holding downhill bikes.

any ideas/suggestions?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

2. #2 Re: jeep + bike 
    Looks like you could build it yourself very easily, but the idea should work...
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #3 Re: jeep + bike 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter ZJ TINS's Avatar
    What about those ball hitch racks? Make one yourself to whatever needs you have.
    “I ask, sir, what is the militia? It is the whole people, except for a few public officials.”- George Mason
    "The beauty of the second amendment is that it will not be needed until they try to take it." -Thomas Jefferson
    “The great object is that every man be armed.” -Patrick Henry

4. #4 Re: jeep + bike 
    I've had this plan to mount a 12" piece of Thule track on the back side of the back seat, then this little piece towards the tailgate (or vice versa although it would have been easier to roll the wheeled back of the bike then struggle with the flopping fork. Eventually I settled on the hitch mount Yakima rack for the time being but this idea still rattles around my head.
    Adam, 2001 Banana Boat

5. #5 Re: jeep + bike 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeepin' Wolf View Post
    I've had this plan to mount a 12" piece of Thule track on the back side of the back seat, then this little piece towards the tailgate (or vice versa although it would have been easier to roll the wheeled back of the bike then struggle with the flopping fork. Eventually I settled on the hitch mount Yakima rack for the time being but this idea still rattles around my head.
    that's kinda what im thinking, except instead of thule just some 3ish inch wide C channel. do you think there is enough room in the back of a zj without back seats?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

6. #6 Re: jeep + bike 
    Well the reason I was thinking Thule was that I used to have one on the roof of my rotting XJ. But some assholes stole it. Anyhow. I put my bike in the WJ and it fit, I'd imagine ZJ's have similar space available, but you know they do have those things called tape-measures.
    Adam, 2001 Banana Boat

7. #7 Re: jeep + bike 
    I used Yakima's version of those on my factory cross bars for YEARS! next up I'll be going with a hitch mount so that I don't have to remove the front wheel or lift a bike on/off my roof.
    - JD
    Rocky Mountain Expedition Club
    "Getting "Lost"..........one trail at a time."

2004 WJ- Totally stock...for now...

8. #8 Re: jeep + bike 
    yeah a tape measure is useful... but im 2000km away from my jeep until may with work, but when i get back it will be biking season

9. #9 Re: jeep + bike 
    I cant fit my specialized demo upright in my zj with the seats down. I have a hitch mount that is cut and welded up higher to keep my bikes from hitting the ground when I head up steep climbs. And if you have a dh bike the mount you posted at the top of the page wont work because no dh bike uses 10mm quick releases.

10. #10 Re: jeep + bike 
    I faced this a number of years ago. Wound up building two boxes/bases to fit on the floor between the folded down rear seat backs and the front seats, with the rear seat bases removed. Build to dimensions that hold the base tight when the front seats are in position. Base height is same is cargo compartment floor and folded down rear seat back. Bolt the Bike-Tight to the base and you should be good to go. If you mount one of the Bike-Tights forward from the other you won't have handlebar interference between two bikes. Check your height first as my DH bikes were too tall to stand upright.
    Slate 5.9...some stuff...more to come

Thread Information