Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Project first time

Thread: Project first time

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
  1. #1 Project first time 

yes its the first time for alot of things. my first blow out, first pics up on mc, first time wheeling with the lift, first poser shot, and first time i drove my jeep on two wheels!

you know the basics of the jeep. 3" rustys lift, 31 inch bfg long trails, stock wheels, rustys adj trac bar, rustys steering conversion, rustys add on steering stabilizer, k&n 6X9 air cleaner, rustys air tube, and a ghetto rigged 15" old ass rockford fosgate in home made box (i spliced the wires with the rear speaker wires coming out of the amp) all in all its been good to me.

plans: for now im gonna keep the axles stock D44a and D35, replace 4 axle bearings in rear, adj. lower control arms front and rear, 231 swap, kevins off road bumpers front and rear, and a mono amp to power that 15 just acting like a big speaker instead of a sub.

its my first vehicle, and im glad its a jeep. not sure how long ill keep it but i definatly want to make it more offroad worthy before anything then i think i might get another one and throw on a claytons kit or something fun like that.

anyways, i usualy have questions but i can answer some too, mostly the lesser technical ones just cuz i mess around and try and figure stuff out alot, but yeah im open for suggestions or conversations or whatever, i guess this would be my first official NOOB post so yall know what im rollin in and so you can see that i have fun like everyone else!!

MC is the koolest!!
    Last edited by suburbia4X4; 11-09-2007 at 12:30 AM.
    Grab the wheel right now, make this life yours

5.2, 3", 31's, kor tbc, K&N, Roush glass pack, jks adj rear trac bar.

If you can read this....you must have rolled over too!

2. #2 Re: Project first time 
    place [img] and [/img] around ur photobucket links

ur gonna get in shit for useing rustys as well as calling the front axle a d35, just to warn ya
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

3. #3 Re: Project first time 
    the best part about having a d35 is when you put 37s on it man
    95 Zj on 32s

4. #4 Re: Project first time 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by cashflowdub View Post
    the best part about having a d35 is when you put 37s on it man
    Totally. The noises a D35 makes with 37's is AWESOME!!!

Start replacing your cRusty's crap as soon as you can. Especially his steering. Currie makes a kickass bolt in steering replacement. It's one of the two things I never worry about on my rig (the other is my Clayton's Long Arms).

5. #5 Re: Project first time 
    Quote Originally Posted by suburbia4X4 View Post
    its my first vehicle, and im glad its a jeep. not sure how long ill keep it but i definatly want to make it more offroad worthy before anything then i think i might get another one and throw on a claytons kit or something fun like that.
    Don't be so eager to jump into long arms right away. Be patient and see if they'd end up being worth the cost.

And BTW, I saw in another post you were looking for a place to wheel in Minnesota. There's 2 parks here....Gilbert(about an hour north of Duluth) and Appleton(a couple hours east of the Twin Cities). There's also some trails spread out in the Superior and Chippewa National Forests.

And if you haven't already, sign up on www.mn-jeep.com.

6. #6 Re: Project first time 
    lol
    95 Zj on 32s

7. #7 Re: Project first time 
    ur gonna get in shit for useing rustys as well as calling the front axle a d35, just to warn ya[/quote]

Yeah i read all about rustys being total shit, im starting to agree now that im out and about more. and is my front axle not a dana 35 or what?

8. #8 Re: Project first time 
    It's a Dana 30. Dana 35's were used in the rear.

9. #9 Re: Project first time 
    hey sorry to hijack but i would like to post some pictures or my zj and i'm not able to start a new thread. i'm in the process or waggy 44s and oem front springs in the rear with new mounts to keep it low, and would value some opinion

10. #10 Re: Project first time 
    the rears about done, its all tacked in

11. #11 Re: Project first time 
    for sure man lets see them bitches!

12. #12 Re: Project first time 
    You may want to rethink the location of that steering stabilizer. It'll get 100% ruined when you go over some rocks.

13. #13 Re: Project first time 
    Quote Originally Posted by LILL ZJ View Post
    hey sorry to hijack but i would like to post some pictures or my zj and i'm not able to start a new thread. i'm in the process or waggy 44s and oem front springs in the rear with new mounts to keep it low, and would value some opinion
    Quote Originally Posted by LILL ZJ View Post
    the rears about done, its all tacked in
    this is suburbia4X4's build thread, get your own.... post it in newbie or something and if it is a build thread of your ZJ then an admin can move it over. and don't post pad. back to regular scheduled programing of suburbia4X4's build thread

I would also recommend moving that SS up so it doesn't get trashed the first time you smack it something
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

14. #14 Re: Project first time 
    Thanks DJ i appreciate it, i think that lilzj or whatever is just new to the forum and doesnt know how to start his own thread, or at least didnt know for a while until he grew a brain...in any case its all good! now back to the topic at hand..
    where might i move it to?(the SS) just above the tie rod?....sounds like a stupid question, but it is like 4 in the morning and i have no idea why im still awake, but anywho...would i just flip the bracket over or what? technically its SS number dos because i have one in the stock location thats attached via bracket and not straight thru the drag link, but thats a whole other story. so flip the white one? maybe scrap it and get something that doesnt rhyme with mustys? eh eh!
    Last edited by suburbia4X4; 11-10-2007 at 06:42 AM.

15. #15 Re: Project first time 
    ok I guess the better question would be why do you think you need to run 2 SS's? the SS is a bandaid to "fix" other issues. one good SS is enough with the other suspension components in ok condition... but if all suspension parts are in great shape you could run without a SS. I don't use one but my steering is not stock.
    oh and no "musty" parts
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    We're all insane here...

16. #16 Re: Project first time 
    well an ovbious NOOB answer is the effin DW, but i consider myself semi-noob and my answer is because i think it looks SWEET to have a little shock attached to all my stearing junk, seriuosly all the ladies love it. they come up to me and ask questions all about it and i just smile and say yeah baby hop in lets go for a ride.....

ahah yeah its for the dw but once i get new adj. lca's and some steering support/new gear box itll come off and go someplace cooler....like my huffy!

another question i have, if i were to get a mono amp to power that sub in da back would i beable to splice the wires from the stock amp? or would i have to go directly from the head unit? i really dont feel like getting a whole new head unit and bypassing the stock amp cuz i like it as is, i just want some pure effin BOOM in the back ya know? so what are my options as far as installing another amp for the subwoofer?

17. #17 Re: Project first time 
    seriuosly all the ladies love it. they come up to me and ask questions all about it and i just smile and say yeah baby hop in lets go for a ride.....
    maybe I'll have to look into doing that haha

if i were to get a mono amp to power that sub in da back would i beable to splice the wires from the stock amp? or would i have to go directly from the head unit? i really dont feel like getting a whole new head unit and bypassing the stock amp cuz i like it as is, i just want some pure effin BOOM in the back ya know? so what are my options as far as installing another amp for the subwoofer?
    if you don't have another set of RCA's output form the headunit there is the option of using a hog pass converter to adapt the high level signals of the rear speaker to the line level RCA to be able to tie into the amp..... oh and some amps have the option to have speaker level connections that go right into the amp. using the high level signal is not really recommended for the best sound quality but will work anyways if you don't care about being an audiophile
    We're all insane here...

18. #18 Re: Project first time 
    Well, see, the thing im most concerned about is the controls on the steering wheel for the stereo. sure its only simple stuff like volume and song change n stuff, but i really like that stuff, which is why i dont really wanna get a new deck cuz i dont know if that will allow for me to use those controls anymore or not. so if i were to keep the factory head unit and still try to add an amp, how might one ghetto fab the bitch? u said hog pass i think dj but i have no idea what that is. i know other people have put systems in their zjs, i just havent really researched it too much, i like to bump the hip hop and feel the bass, but i also listen to way more heavy metal and stuff then anything else so i dont need huge bass for that but for the bass booms and stuff its a plus.

meh, idk im still poor and still trying to get an effing job. damn getting laid off. i think i might rant in chit chat...good idea....
    in anycase what can i do with a cheap walmart amp electrical tape and lotts of free time?

19. #19 Re: Project first time 
    in anycase what can i do with a cheap walmart amp electrical tape and lotts of free time?
    crappy parts = or watch more Macgyver to build the good stuff from crap.....

here are some items that might help:
    Steering Wheel Radio Control Interface

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...127SWIX&tp=701
    Universal Factory Sound System Interface

http://www.crutchfield.com/App/Produ...127OEM2&tp=678
    adapt the speaker wires to be able to plug in an amplifier that does not already have high level inputs....... but not recommended for sounds quality but you wanted a cheap setup...
    We're all insane here...

20. #20 Re: Project first time 
    I put my system together out of walmart stuff...a pioneer sub and a 550 scosch amp out of the clearance audio stuff. I built a pretty big sealed box (24x16x12) out of scrap mdf from menards for it and I love it. I just played with the settings on the amp and it's just as clear and hits as hard as the rockford amp and alpine 12 setup I had before it for hip hop but isn't overpowering at all for anything else. Best part was that it only cost me $125 including an install kit... and it's from walmart so if anything blows up a year or 5 down the road it can be exchanged
    re: testy
    Quote Originally Posted by CrawlerReady
    scrotum.

21. #21 Re: Project first time 
    ah i knew there would be some crazy stuff out there for what i need to do, just had to find it. but yes, i do tend to think of myself as a kind of macgiver i once made a fire escape ladder out of shoe laces and popsicle sticks that was four stories tall, i saved 3 little girls, 2 kittens, a fish, and a vacume ( i had some extra space in my man purse)

22. #22 Re: Project first time 
    a few more questions...

the currie steering that was being talked about, thats the cheaper version on kevins site right? the one thats not the U-TURN setup or whatever?

cuz i have the rustys adj trac bar, should i just get a different trac bar or would it be a good idea to go with kevins relocator kit that lowers the mounting point on the body for more lift and less angles?

this might seem like a dumb question, but when i get the RE adj. LCA's which way are they supposed to be mounted? i know its got one end thats mounted even, then the other is offset, which goes where?

if i wanted to get some more lifticles and was planning on swapping the front springs to the rear, how tall of springs should i get to put in the front? 4.5? 6? and would that entail extended brake lines, an adj. rear trac bar, and drop pitman arm?

i think thats all i have for questions now, once the first few paychecks start coming in, ill be posting more pix and stuff so this can actually be a BUILD thread, hah.

23. #23 Re: Project first time 
    The cRusty's trackbar is crap. Do some searching on here in suspension and steering and memger's rigs and you'll find answers to all of your questions about this stuff. If you have any questions about Kevin's stuff you should give him a call - he's very helpful and a great guy to do business with.
    scrotum.

24. #24 Re: Project first time 
    did some research about the front rear swap thing, and apparently my front springs would put me at like 6-7 inches in the rear, but i dont want that much lift so im thinking about maybe the R.E. 4.5 flex kit. seems like its a nice set up and i know parting everything out would be more expensive too. i know i need the adjustable control arms for sure, trackbars, extended brakelines, etc etc. im also gonna be looking to swap to a 231 or 242 whichever i can find at my local junkyard but i figured while im at it why not work on the driveshaft? what exactly does one need to do to convert to a u-joint setup? i seen plenty of reccomendations to do this, but not really how. it seems like it could be pretty easy but i havent messed with driveshafts ever so im oblivious. more pix to come soon too when i start doing some stuff now that i have some money to work with.

25. #25 Re: Project first time 
    all you need for a u-joint front shaft is the u-joint yoke off of a d30 or 44 and the front shaft out of an xj (87 and up works, iirc). Just put the yoke on a couple days ago and am in the process of replacing all the joints on the shaft. A good (625 ft/lb) impact gun will take the nut right off, and I wouldn't want to do it by hand. I'm not sure of the exact size of the nut... a 1 1/8" socket fit perfectly on mine, but I've seen a lot of guys on here mention metric sizes. It needs to be torqued down to about 200 ft/lb, but I just gunned it down (lightly) with the impact. My front shaft was already out (has been out since last may) and it only took 20 minutes to get everything torn apart and buttoned up and pull the shaft back out when I realized the centering ball in the double cardan joint was bad...damn you, ebay
    scrotum.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Thread Information