Thread: Sye for 242

1. #1 Sye for 242 
    I've been doing some searching for the past half hour or so. I only have found a hack and tap kit for a pre-96 242.

I picked up my 242 from a buddy who traded some stuff for it from a guy who got it from a boneyard. I was told it was from a 99, but I cant bet on it.

Isn't the main idea of a hack and tap kit very simple? Couldn't I just cut the yoke of the rear shaft shorter and tap the middle of the shaft so i can bolt on a yoke?

When searching i found this website http://www.driveshaftsuperstore.com/
    and on top of that I'm sure tom woods has some parts.

Would I need a CV or double cardan shaft or would a single u joint work?

The cutting and tapping is simple. I just need to find a joke that I can bolt in place. The only ambiguity would be in the size and spline yoke I need to buy, correct?

What else is there to an SYE kit?

Derek

2. #2 Re: Sye for 242 
    Tom woods has a SYE for the 242. I use one on my rig. Awesome quality but im fairly sure you can only get it as a package with a new double cardan shaft. The package runs for $350 or $400 i cant remember. Really your only other option is a hack n tap. I think RE sells one and then they sell their shafts with the spicer part on the u joint at the end of the shaft. From what i hear the cutting and tapping isnt so easy. You have to be dead on or its going to vibe like hell. I wouldnt cob up a SYE set up, especially if you drive it on the road at all.
    Josh

98 XJ low and slow on 35s

http://www.rok-freekz.com

3. #3 Re: Sye for 242 
    This is kind of off the subject, but try to figure out what year that NP242 is. A WJ transfer case will not have the speedo sensors on the t-case because they use tone rings on the axles. So I don't know how your speedo will work with that case.

4. #4 Re: Sye for 242 
    its an XJ t-case. Just not sure of the year.

I'll take another look at TW's kit, but i thought i saw it was for a pre 96 242 only.

5. #5 Re: Sye for 242 
    I have a 242 hack and tap Tcase that I could sell you cheap.... really cheap. I ended up bending my output shaft on my 242 and it was a headache. It's a pretty good tcase for moderate wheeling but I guess I hit the wrong obstacle a little to wrong (nothing like driving from Moab to Denver at 40 mph).

Anyway, if you want to hack and tap... or whole Tcase, let me know.

Matt
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

6. #6 Re: Sye for 242 
    And yes, a double cardon would be the only way to go.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

7. #7 Re: Sye for 242 
    My ZJ is a 98 so i can confirm that the TW sye is not only 96 and lower. Im pretty sure the RE hack n tap is for any year 242......
    Josh

98 XJ low and slow on 35s

http://www.rok-freekz.com

8. #8 Re: Sye for 242 
    Member Lifetime Supporter Frogger's Avatar
    I've had a hack and tap on my 96 ZJ with the 242 for several years now and have had no problems. The way to make a straight cut and pretty fast is to disconnect both driveshafts (advised to block wheels first, don't ask), have someone start the vehicle and put it in drive. Using cut off wheel, start cutting while having second person rev the engine to about 3000 rpms. When cut is complete have second person turn off vehicle then put vehicle back in park. This worked perfect for me.

Lindley
    96 ZJ 4.0, 242 TC, hack and tap SYE, Ford Detroited 9 rear axle and Ford ARBed 9 front, ARB Safari snorkle (modified Nissan version), Clayton's Rock Rails and 7" lift w/LAs, ARB Bull Bar, KMA rear bumper with tire and 2 gas cans holder, Safari roof rack, OBA, and 105A2 Trailer

2000 Triumph Sprint ST
    1988 Honda Hawk
    Kawasaki KDX 220R
    Cannondale Mountain Bike

9. #9 Re: Sye for 242 
    I have the Tom Woods SYE kit on my 242 (which was taken from a '99 WJ). I cannot speak highly enough about the quality of the kit. Among the best instructions I have ever seen as well. As was already mentioned, the kit comes with a double-cardan driveshaft. They will sell the kit w/o a driveshaft but its only like $100 less.

10. #10 Re: Sye for 242 
    Thanks for the info guys.

Matt, unfortunately I wasn't planning on making a purchase until summer when I have some loot. Ill be sure to get a hold of you before I buy anything to check if you still have it.

11. #11 Re: Sye for 242 
    Post up a pic of the 242, specifically the tailcone.

Early 242's were a 21 spline input, you can eliminate those years if it's a 23 spline. Late 95 IIRC they changed to a longer rear output shaft. We should be able to ID yours with a pic.

12. #12 Re: Sye for 242 
    Quote Originally Posted by Derek33 View Post
    Thanks for the info guys.

Matt, unfortunately I wasn't planning on making a purchase until summer when I have some loot. Ill be sure to get a hold of you before I buy anything to check if you still have it.
    Sounds good, I'd be willing to bet I'll still have it.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

13. #13 Re: Sye for 242 
    I have the Tom Woods SYE on my 242 in my '96. I took the speedo housing and the TW output flange to NAPA and matched up a seal to use. The spacer that goes on the output shaft between the shoulder of the shaft and the flange needs to be shortened. The seal I used is a National 470460 and the spacer needed to be trimmed 7/32". At least that's what I had to do. But it should get you started.
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

Thread Information