Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968
GSSW 07 photos

Thread: GSSW 07 photos

1. #1 GSSW 07 photos 
    Had a wonderful trip, weather perfect, wheelin perfect and people were great. Glad to meet all of you.

http://good-times.webshots.com/album/561126620RzrZdT
    94 ZJ I6 3.5" on 33's All the protection needed from the Dr. himself!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
    http://photobucket.com/hoffy

2. #2 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Good pics.
    WJ-OME-JKS-KEVINS-32' BFGS-SOLD
    WK-DayStar-Spidertrax-BFGS-whoohoo

Search, helping dumbasses everywhere.

3. #3 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Nice pics! What did Pitch break besides the obvious shaft that he need to remove the carrier to fix?

4. #4 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Nice pics! What did Pitch break besides the obvious shaft that he need to remove the carrier to fix?

Not sure what its called, but its a "star" shaped piece in behind the ring gear that has splines in it and the shaft goes in. Most all of the splines were gone. He didnt drive trails after replacing shaft due to not having the "star" piece. He did drive home today, so hopefully he made it.
    94 ZJ I6 3.5" on 33's All the protection needed from the Dr. himself!!!!!!!!!!
    http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/
    http://photobucket.com/hoffy

5. #5 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Spider gear??

I thought he was locked in the back? Oh well, hopefully he makes it home just fine!

6. #6 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Spider gear??

I thought he was locked in the back? Oh well, hopefully he makes it home just fine!
    Made it home fine, no issues at all, but my drive home was only 35 miles!

The AL 44 Yukon shaft broke off just after the splines... maybe some housing flex? The inside of the carrier was fairly gnarled up in spots, there is a star-shaped spacer (?) that sits inside behind the ring gear plates inside of a larger star shaped recess on the carrier. It was pretty torn up. Even looking through the FSM I cannot tell what it is called, I will need to look in a parts catalog to replace it. Luckily, lots of help was at hand and I was able to get the spare shaft back in, albeit with a little encouragement from a mini-sledge. Big thanks to everyone that helped on the trail, esp. Sandy's son Ryan.

The good news is that John's old spool held up just fine!
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

7. #7 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    Great photos, Doug!

Dave,
    They weren't spider gears as he is locked with a one-off custom spool setup in a d44a. We got pics of the inner star gear thing, someone called it a geo-something. I expect Eric will be posting up with a better description of what it was[Edit - See post above]. But it was pretty good failure. The outer bearings failed damaging the race. He was prepared with an extra shaft, that had bearings and a new race. Taught us all a thing about being prepared.
    Last edited by DansZJ; 10-21-2007 at 09:53 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    I no longer have a GF, and I suddenly find myself with extra money, and extra time to go wheeling. IT KICKS ASS!
    Damn it. I bought a JK, so no more money for wheeling!

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers since 1999

8. #8 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Great pics!

Glad you made it home safe Pitch.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

9. #9 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Eric, the "star shaped part" was a gerotor part from the original vari-lok diff. Just part of a positive displacement pump. Useless with the mini-spool, of course, except for what I believe to be a bit more spline engagement in addition to the mini spool John came up with. Good times, everyone!
    light, strong, cheap.... pick two

10. #10 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

To echo what others have said:
    • great time
    • great people
    • great planning & execution
    • great pictures
    On my way home at 75mph I blew a 3 month new 760 axle ujoint on I-10 west of Phoenix. Gary and I spent 2-1/2 hours pulling it, trying to get the old one out, and putting it back together. These roadside trip repairs just suck. Gotta figure out why the front keeps breaking before any more long trips. While Gary and I were working on the repair my wife called to tell me that she and my daughter were under mandatory evacuation due to the Santa Clarita fires. Anyway, got HOME after midnight and at least the house is fine. I'm looking forward to GSSW 2008!
    Thanks again.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

11. #11 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    No place like mountains Lifetime Supporter InIt4TheFun's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    While Gary and I were working on the repair my wife called to tell me that she and my daughter were under mandatory evacuation due to the Santa Clarita fires. Anyway, got HOME after midnight and at least the house is fine.
    I could not help but wonder with the fires if yours and Gary's houses were ok. Glad to hear it and thanks for letting us know.
    "In almost ANY situation, or dealing with any controversial issue, the two extreme solutions are almost always never correct, and the best course of action lies somewhere in between." -J B

"I'd piss on a spark plug if I thought it'd do any good!" - General Beringer

12. #12 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by InIt4TheFun View Post
    I could not help but wonder with the fires if yours and Gary's houses were ok. Glad to hear it and thanks for letting us know.
    Gary lives in Huntington Beach which has remained clear of the fires.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

13. #13 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

14. #14 Re: GSSW 07 photos 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Pitch View Post
    Made it home fine, no issues at all, but my drive home was only 35 miles!

The AL 44 Yukon shaft broke off just after the splines... maybe some housing flex? The inside of the carrier was fairly gnarled up in spots, there is a star-shaped spacer (?) that sits inside behind the ring gear plates inside of a larger star shaped recess on the carrier. It was pretty torn up. Even looking through the FSM I cannot tell what it is called, I will need to look in a parts catalog to replace it. Luckily, lots of help was at hand and I was able to get the spare shaft back in, albeit with a little encouragement from a mini-sledge. Big thanks to everyone that helped on the trail, esp. Sandy's son Ryan.

The good news is that John's old spool held up just fine!
    Here's a few photos to illustrate the damage. I have more that I'll be posting once I get through them all and post them to my Picassa account.

Broken shaft. Broken section was stuck in the spool. Note the damaged outer bearing.
    Name:  Pitch2.jpg
Views: 204
Size:  23.3 KB

Gerotor (Thanks Kevin C) - more than half the splines were "galled" (word of the day).
    Name:  Pitch1.jpg
Views: 208
Size:  51.0 KB

How do you like trail repairs?
    Name:  Pitch3.jpg
Views: 167
Size:  15.1 KB
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    I no longer have a GF, and I suddenly find myself with extra money, and extra time to go wheeling. IT KICKS ASS!
    Damn it. I bought a JK, so no more money for wheeling!

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers since 1999

Thread Information