Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Urban Assault Vehicle V1.5 - Page 4

Thread: Urban Assault Vehicle V1.5

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. #76 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Try driving the limit every where. Drive like a Grandma.

That's helping me a bit in the ZJ (not enough though).
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

2. #77 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    i just went through this whole thing, and its weird to see all these GC owners with Audi DD's, because i want an audi for a DD.
    97 V8 zj.
    35"KM2s.aussies,4.88s,full chromos,1 ton hi steer in the 44/8.8.KOR/Clayton longarms.
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...ad.php?t=17603

03 Cobra with horsepowers

3. #78 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297 View Post
    the V1's are definitley sweet but out of the price range.

Anthony, I'm going with Falken 235/40/18's. Also I plan on upgrading to '02 sport suspension which will lower about an inch and a half.

sucks that falken pulled out of canada, such a good tire company.

just fyi the maxxis MA-V1 are a great tire. they're an ultra high performance all season tire, its odd but they are great. a buddy of mine tried them on his pro drift car and says they hooked up great in the front but after one lap the rear ones would chunk up. so just dont to much drifting with em, lol. my dad has been running them on his audi going 30,000km right now, much better than his fusions that only lasted 18,000km.
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

4. #79 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    33.2588477 MPG? I call shenanigans
    So did these guys.

http://www.audizine.com/forum/showthread.php?t=217374

I swear on my word. I got an extra 80 miles out of this last tank after the seafoam and fresh oil change.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

5. #80 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    sucks that falken pulled out of canada

Hrrrmmmm now if only the rest of dem canadians could learn to pull out....

95 ZJ/ 5.2 / HD Dana 44 front / 14b rear / 5.5" CLAYTONS / 38'' Grooved TSL's / CLAYTONS belly skid / NP231 w/sye

6. #81 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95 View Post
    Hrrrmmmm now if only the rest of dem canadians could learn to pull out....

worried about all us canadians stealing up your lady folks?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

7. #82 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    worried about all us canadians stealing up your lady folks?
    More so just you guys actually reproducing.

8. #83 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by spykosshow View Post
    More so just you guys actually reproducing.
    At least we don't have Bush or Hilary.....
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

9. #84 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Just read through the thread over at Audizine. Very interesting! Seeing as most of my vehicles are over 50k miles, I'm considering placing an order over at SeaFoam.

BTW, I love how you have the ZJ as your avatar instead of your shiny car!
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

10. #85 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Well a buddy and I decided to tackle the timing belt today. It really wasn't too bad of a project. Started promptly at noon and finished around 3:30. I replaced the timing belt with the kit from ECS Tuning (great kit by the way!) and the rear coolant flange which was an uber PITA. It literally broke in 1/2 when pulled off the block. Either way we got her all buttoned back up and she's running good.

BTW, I'm @ 70K miles right now and my timing belt did have very small superficial cracks in it. I didn't like the looks of that. Either way, she's got a new one that will last another 70k miles. Just thought I would share some pics.

11. #86 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    I'm sorry man, I very much dislike anything Volkswagon/Audi. Removing that much to do a scheduled maintenance item seems like a joke. All mechanics wish for the day that they can be locked in a room with an automotive engineer. Save a sh!t load doing these things yourself though, the labor to do that job is nuts and at about $95/hour to install $60 worth of parts is little steep, lol.
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

12. #87 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Goosed76 View Post
    I'm sorry man, I very much dislike anything Volkswagon/Audi. Removing that much to do a scheduled maintenance item seems like a joke. All mechanics wish for the day that they can be locked in a room with an automotive engineer. Save a sh!t load doing these things yourself though, the labor to do that job is nuts and at about $95/hour to install $60 worth of parts is little steep, lol.
    This isn't remarkably harder than doing a timing belt on anything else. I mean aside from the torx bolts and allen bolts its pretty straight forward. Everyone knows that manufacturers are making items like this more difficult for the shade tree mechanic so that guarantees them to make MORE money when people are forced to bring it to the dealer for repairs. It makes sense though, Audi is a business whose primary goal is to make money.

BTW this books as an 8 hour job and we got it done in less than 3.

13. #88 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    yeah, i started working for a Jeep dealer about 6 months ago, love the little things, like a fan control module on a WJ that sits under the right hand side headlight, would be so easy to use a hole saw to make an access hole behind the headlight, but being the dealer, the whole bumper has to come off to change the module- which fails all the time anyways. Volkswagens just have never been kind to me, especially the electrical systems.
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

14. #89 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    never really been a big fan of those plastic motor cover things
    97 V8 zj.
    35"KM2s.aussies,4.88s,full chromos,1 ton hi steer in the 44/8.8.KOR/Clayton longarms.
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...ad.php?t=17603

03 Cobra with horsepowers

15. #90 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Why did you need to take off the headlights and bumper?
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

16. #91 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297 View Post
    This isn't remarkably harder than doing a timing belt on anything else. I mean aside from the torx bolts and allen bolts its pretty straight forward. Everyone knows that manufacturers are making items like this more difficult for the shade tree mechanic so that guarantees them to make MORE money when people are forced to bring it to the dealer for repairs. It makes sense though, Audi is a business whose primary goal is to make money.

BTW this books as an 8 hour job and we got it done in less than 3.
    How much is the timing belt kit? Did it come with the belt tension tool? I probably should do the timing belt in the 951. The PO said he did it, but so far, everything he said has been a lie. And with the engine being an interference motor, I probably should do it just as a precaution. Of course, the guys selling the kits recommend replacing them every 30k - but that just seems like they're trying to sell parts more than anything. The kit for the 951 comes with a water pump, gaskets, thermostat, timing belt, balance belt, oil cooler gasket kit, front engine seal kit and 4 belt rollers. A kit with a rebuilt pump is $425. A kit with a new pump is $610. Then there's about another $150 - $200 in recommended tools for the job

A OEM timing belt is only $19 of the cost. The OEM balance belt is $40.

17. #92 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Skyline View Post
    Why did you need to take off the headlights and bumper?
    Because theres no other way of accessing the timing belt cover.

The entire front assembly (condensor, radiator, bumper supports, crossbraces, etc) has to slide forward about 6" in order to access the TB.

18. #93 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by CurtP View Post
    How much is the timing belt kit? Did it come with the belt tension tool? I probably should do the timing belt in the 951. The PO said he did it, but so far, everything he said has been a lie. And with the engine being an interference motor, I probably should do it just as a precaution. Of course, the guys selling the kits recommend replacing them every 30k - but that just seems like they're trying to sell parts more than anything. The kit for the 951 comes with a water pump, gaskets, thermostat, timing belt, balance belt, oil cooler gasket kit, front engine seal kit and 4 belt rollers. A kit with a rebuilt pump is $425. A kit with a new pump is $610. Then there's about another $150 - $200 in recommended tools for the job

A OEM timing belt is only $19 of the cost. The OEM balance belt is $40.
    Holy crap! The kit for this motor (1.8T) was $220 but a.) these motors are a dime a dozen, in almost all of the jetta's, A4's, etc and b.) there aren't alot of parts. It came with the serp belt, timing belt, hydraulic tensioner roller, belt tensioner, water pump, crank bolts, a gallon of coolant, cam seals, a few other little pieces.

All in all, much more straight forward than a Porsche I am sure. Best of luck with that by the way!

19. #94 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    On my '98 timing belt service is due every 50k.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

20. #95 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Well, I am done refinishing the wheels. It doesn't look perfect by any means, but for $20 or so, I can't really complain. Powdercoating would have been $80 per wheel.

I also got 4 Continental ContiSport tires for $150. I can't complain about that either considering they only have 5k miles on them. I hate buying used tires but I am broke! I am going to run by the shop on wednesday and get them mounted and balanced if I have time/ if the machine is working.

21. #96 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Nicely done! That's a fair amount of work - I remember when I painted mine a while back. Between sanding everything down, prepping the surface, doing the primer, paint, and clear coat. . .man, I must have spent the good part of two days doing that (and practically wore my fingers to the bone doing it)!

Am I seeing that right - did you actually use your ZJ hood as a drop cloth?! :O
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

22. #97 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by Elliott View Post
    Well, I am done refinishing the wheels. It doesn't look perfect by any means, but for $20 or so, I can't really complain. Powdercoating would have been $80 per wheel.
    Looks good. I especially like how you used the hood of your Jeep as your workbench/paint booth

I found a place near me that will powdercoat my rims for $20/ea, including sandblasting. I'm seriously thinking about having my rims done in argent, gunmetal, or anthracite. I could have my center caps done at the same time since they're all metal. However, I don't think the guy has ever done rims before, so I've been a bit hesitant.

23. #98 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Curt, that is a rocking price! I would definitely go that route if I were you.

In other news, suspension showed up today. '02 sport suspension and B7 RS4 swaybar. The suspension will drop me down about 1", nothing major, I still want the ride quality to be good. And the RS4 swaybar is 23mm whereas my stock one is 16mm. Should be able to carve around the streets a bit better now.

24. #99 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Your upgrade is another stock suspension? Very nice indeed. You'll handle better and be able to maintain the ride. Post pictures when you get the suspension on with the new wheels - I bet it'll be a 100% improvement.

I may have missed it, but what grade of fuel do you have to run in it? Any major issues with the car yet? Annoyances?

I guess I should update my car thread, but I never take pictures while I'm working on it.

25. #100 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Yes, its the '02 sport suspension which is different from my '04 non-sport suspension. Just a mild drop. The swaybar is whats going to set it off, I'm stoked about it. It is reccomended to run 93 Octane in it, so I do. I got this car for ridiculously cheap so I will spend the extra $ to treat it right (including maintenance, 93 octane, quality parts, etc).

No major annoyances with it yet, other than its a little trickier to work on than the jeep. But I love learning new things.

Thread Information