Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Urban Assault Vehicle V1.5 - Page 3

Thread: Urban Assault Vehicle V1.5

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
  1. #51 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by dasVettemeister View Post
    They don't sell "remanufactured" wheels. They sell REPRODUCTION wheels of a definite sub-par quality. I have seen some of their products firsthand. They have a poor finish, at best. Put one of their wheels next to the real deal, and you immediately see that they are crap. With a finish that bad, I'd be concerned about just how well the wheel is constructed overall.
    Good info for the purists among us - though I have to say I disagree on the finish. I have a winter set that looks to be in better condition than the summers, and they have held up quite well to the gravel they throw all over the roads here in Colorado. The ride quality seems to be the same too. For people on a budget, it remains a great option.

Quote Originally Posted by dads5.9 View Post
    Welcome to the club! ZJs and A4s must go together. Justin and I have a 1998 and a 2000 A4 respectively.
    Maybe you, me, Justin, and John should get together for a Colorado Audi M&G!
    Last edited by SCAMPER ZJ; 03-25-2008 at 11:35 PM.
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

2. #52 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by SCAMPER ZJ View Post
    Good info for the purists among us - though I have to say I disagree on the finish. I have a winter set that looks to be in better condition than the summers, and they have held up quite well to the gravel they throw all over the roads here in Colorado. The ride quality seems to be the same too. For people on a budget, it remains a great option.

I'm not talking about being a purist.... just saying that the wheels I've seen from them were absolute shit. Maybe you actually got the one set out there that looks good. I've seen quite a few wheels from them and not a single one matched the OE wheels. I was not impressed with the finish on any one I have seen, with or without an OE wheel sitting next to them. I do agree though, great winter/poseur wheel.

I am really curious about one thing..... How in the hell would the ride quality of a replica wheel be different from that of an OE wheel?!?! That's like saying that the ride quality of a Barts steel wheel is better than that of an identically sized (identical everything) Cragar steel wheel.
    Last edited by dasVettemeister; 03-26-2008 at 03:51 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    PS...to my knowledge i was not anally raped...but i did have some strange shits the next day.

I pay taxes so the government can pay for a bunch of white trash and shitbag illegals to have free medical care/welfare. Lovely.

3. #53 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    I am really curious about one thing..... How in the hell would the ride quality of a replica wheel be different from that of an OE wheel?!?! That's like saying that the ride quality of a Barts steel wheel is better than that of an identically sized (identical everything) Cragar steel wheel.[/quote]

If the wheels are built out of a different quality steel or their tolerances are not the same that could have a major impact on ride quality.
    jdhutton---not sure why you wanna go fast in a lifted jeep. its kinda like strapping a jet pack to a retard. just doesnt make sence.

4. #54 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by midwestxj
    If the wheels are built out of a different quality steel or their tolerances are not the same that could have a major impact on ride quality.

We're not talking about steel here. At least not outside of my dumbed down example....

The rigidity of aluminum is such that there would be NO (read that as zero, zip, zilch, nada) difference in ride quality. Especially considering the fact that the reproduction wheels are (supposedly) manufactured to the exact same design as the originals. (meaning all structural dimensions are the same)
    Last edited by dasVettemeister; 03-26-2008 at 10:01 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    PS...to my knowledge i was not anally raped...but i did have some strange shits the next day.

I pay taxes so the government can pay for a bunch of white trash and shitbag illegals to have free medical care/welfare. Lovely.

5. #55 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I want to chip it real bad.
    Check out APR. I have their chip in my '98. Comes in around $500 IIRC. Well worth it for the fun factor.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

6. #56 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Previously BartenderPlease
    Sweet ride. Now make the lower parts body colored!
    E46 328i | Sport | 5 Sp | Mods

7. #57 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner K2's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by jsteves View Post
    Check out APR. I have their chip in my '98. Comes in around $500 IIRC. Well worth it for the fun factor.
    I was looking at APR and GIAC. I have read the GIAC helps out lower in the rpm band than the APR, and I know that GIAC has a switch so you can keep it stock for mpgs or whatever settings you buy. Thats good info, thanks.
    02 WJ, Lift, dents, noise and smoke.

8. #58 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by K2 View Post
    I am not saying it is impossible, but this one looks fishy. I have done similar speeds in my A4 1.8t, like I said above. A first gen Viper came in at 3,200lbs and a 400hp 450flb, and a top speed of 164. The Viper GTS had 450 horse and 500flb and did 178. That is more torque and less weight (3600lbs for an 01 S4). Also for a "highly" modified car it is VERY stock looking, which might have been intentional but to get 500 plus ponies to do 185mph you need to do something to the engine bay. Intake, front mounted intercoolers and so forth that would take away that perfect clean stock engine in the video. Just my thoughts.
    The original Viper had the aerodynamics of a lightly sanded brick. The engine still had more in it but couldn't overcome drag. An A4 should be somewhat more aerodynamic. That said, 180 is still a long ways away from 120...

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    also the 1992 issue of road and track set its top speed of the dodge viper at 290km/h
    Maybe with a strong tail wind or a weak American mile... Most of the tests I recall on those had a top speed in the range of 160ish for the street versions. Speaking of Road and Track, their old video game Need for Speed (the original before it turned into a ricer fantasy running from cops and whatnot), based on the results of their tests of the individual vehicles pegged the Viper at 160mph.

Canadian driver, before you accuse me of idiocy, again, understand that I do claim video games to be the most accurate purveyors of automotive knowledge, or else I should be able to throw $500 at a 95 Civic hatch and get it to go 150 Now you may accuse me of idiocy if it makes you feel good.
    96 XJ 6/5" lift (f/r) 30x9.5 MTs - goin bigger once I ditch the - welded 8.25 rear, HP D30 front, cut fenders

9. #59 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    im thinking about an audi as a dd. do you guys see an advantage of the 1.8T over the 2.8?
    thanks
    97 zj ltd. 5.2, 3.5 RE w/ adj track bar, 32 maxxis buckshots

10. #60 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by dasVettemeister View Post
    They don't sell "remanufactured" wheels. They sell REPRODUCTION wheels of a definite sub-par quality. I have seen some of their products firsthand. They have a poor finish, at best. Put one of their wheels next to the real deal, and you immediately see that they are crap. With a finish that bad, I'd be concerned about just how well the wheel is constructed overall.

IIRC, they sell most of their shit on ebay.
    i have some of those on the rustang. They look the same as my OE wheels aside from the ford logos and castings on the back. The center caps were crappy, but easily swapped for OE

and yes ride quality can be effected by the wheel, if the wheel is way off balance or bolt holes are centered correctly you will get vibes

11. #61 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by piku303 View Post
    im thinking about an audi as a dd. do you guys see an advantage of the 1.8T over the 2.8?
    thanks
    The 2.8 has a little more horsepower, but the turbo on the 1.8 is quicker to respond from a dead stop. You have to let the turbo cool a little before you turn it off. Personal preference. Either way you can't go wrong!
    '98 ZJ 5.2L with 7" KOR lift, 35x12.5 MT/R's
    D30HP 760 axles/u-joints with Ox in front, 8.8 with Detroit in rear

Build and offroad pics at jeepsite.net

12. #62 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    If you have mountains 1.8T is the only way to go as the turbo compensates for the rise in altitude.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

13. #63 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    X2. The turbo is the way to go for high altitude flying. My 2.0T (APR chipped) is crazy fast at altitude.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

14. #64 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Member Grand Slam West Planner dads5.9's Avatar
    The turbo is very quick to rev and just fun to drive. The 2.8 is a great motor, very reliable and well behaved but definately not as fun. I dsecond John's and Justin's comments on the APR chip. When we first test drove Justin's car I was amazed at the throttle response. It is definately a blast to drive in the mountains.
    '98 5.9L, Clayton LA on 35s

15. #65 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Clear cornered the headlights and gave her a nice waxing this weekend. I'm just waiting on a little $ for tires and the wheels will be mounted soon.

Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

16. #66 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan View Post
    enjoy 2x$ maintenance.
    agreed. I see maintenance costs being insane!! but, what the hell, if you can afford the weekend warrior ZJ AND a newer Audi, you probably aren't worried about money as much as some of us...
    93' ZJ, 4.0L, 3" lift, 31's.. SOLD.
    New Ride- 1998 Ford Ranger 4x4, 4.0L, 5-Speed, 4x4.
    NEW JOB!!!!! NEW BABY!!!!
    Now considering another XJ/WJ/ZJ purchase as a baby mover- No room in the Ranger.
    Leaning towards XJ, 99-01.....

17. #67 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    If it seems like I'm always cleaning this thing its because it gets incredibly muddy, inside and out from biking.

Anyway, a couple more updates. Windows are tinted 20%, got an iPod mount, and a Magellan GPS. I am waiting on a good deal to come through so that I can get my 18" USP wheels mounted up.

Cleaned all the nooks and crannies.

18. #68 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    That thing seriously needs some new wheels man. The stock ones kill it.

What rubber are you going with?
    Plan to lower it at all?
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

19. #69 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    V1 FTW

20. #70 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by LouisianaZJ View Post
    V1 FTW
    Mustang FTL

21. #71 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    the V1's are definitley sweet but out of the price range.

Anthony, I'm going with Falken 235/40/18's. Also I plan on upgrading to '02 sport suspension which will lower about an inch and a half.

22. #72 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    Very nice.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

23. #73 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    I am running FK 452 in the 275 flavor

The V1 is pricey, but I figured might as well go all out, second choice was the passport. Mainly liked the concealed display, location indicators, magnesium case, and advanced options/programming.

24. #74 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    I just got 550 miles out of my last tank. This is the first tank I've gone through since the seafoam, it definitely helped. I was getting 470 out of a tank before seafoam. BTW, this is with 80% highway driving.

25. #75 Re: So I bit the bullett... 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    33.2588477 MPG? I call shenanigans

Thread Information