Thread: 42RE rebuild

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
  1. #1 42RE rebuild 
    Driveshafts and transfer case are out, and the trans is almost out. This is my first attempt at rebuilding a trans. I bought the ATGS manual, but if anyone has any links to any pictures of the process it would be most helpful.

I also don't know how far to get into it. My only problem is a severe shudder, which I think i narrowed down to the torque converter. I bought a new converter and in the process of taking things apart, I figured I might as well rebuild the trans since prior to the shudder it was slipping from 1st to 2nd. More or less I can get away with just putting new clutch packs in it right? There is no metal in the pan and other than those two problems it seems sound. 110K on a 2000 trans.

I'll be doing this on my downtime from work, so it will take a while, but any help would be great and I'll keep updating as I go along. I'll also be putting a new chain in the transfer case and possibly the SYE from tom woods.

Should be fun as the final product will give me much piece of mind.
    Balltastic.

2. #2 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    take picssssss
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

3. #3 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I will. I would like someone who has had a late model 42RE apart to share some pics with ME. I'm pretty sure everything will go well though. If anyone knows anything that goes above and beyond removing, cleaning, and reinstalling the pieces I take out of it, please let me know.
    Balltastic.

4. #4 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    While you have the trans apart you can put a mild shift kit in it, as well as drill the valve body so it flows trans fluid in park, as opposed to just neutral

i cant remember if the 42re would allow you to drill the valve body out more to have it flow better, something to look into

5. #5 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I would obviously need some sort of guidlines to do so. I was considering IPT's reconditioned valve body which has the transgo shift kit installed in it, and they tweaked the body in ways of which you speak. Downfall-it's 400 bucks and I'm already using their rebuild kit which cost me 375. I'll probably buy the shift kit alone for 99 dollars and install it myself. I'd like to keep the repairs to a minimum, since that is exactly what it is right now...a repair. I spent the extra money on performance rebuild parts, but my HD torque converter was inexpensive at around 100 dollars, and my only other cost right now is 120 dollars for a case of amsoil atf. I'm excited to tear into it though.
    Balltastic.

6. #6 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I will find out the needed info for you to do so,

I would recommend you build the trans as strong as you can and do as many mods as you can since you are already in there

7. #7 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    side note: vent mod - do this while you have it out
    95 ZJ | Clayton 6" | 8.8 | HP30 | 4.88s | Aussie F/R | 242 SYE | 35 MTZs

Paragon ♠ Tellico ◊ Big Dogs ♣ Rausch Creek ♥ Moab ♠ Rubicon

8. #8 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I had a shudder problem that was caused by one of the solenoids not working properly something to look into as well.
    hp30, 8.8, long arms, chevy steering, 6" lift, 35 mtrs, 231, locked SOLD

9. #9 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    Hmm..which solenoid was it? I normally used nonsynthetic b&m trick shift, and at about 100k, I decided to do my trans a favor and use chrysler atf+4...well...after putting it in, I got a horrible shudder. The reason I don't think it is a solenoid is because it is particular to the position of my jeep. If I am on a hill, it will almost always shudder on take off, and it will also shudder if I really stomp on it from a dead stop. I'm guessing your's shuddered more often than mine.

As far as the vent mod, NICE!

Any info you can get me for drilling out passages would be cool, but I decided to go with the rebuild kit for 120.00 from ebay, instead of the IPT performance kit for 375.00 The way I figure it is, if my trans lasted 100k of wheeling with 33's, and all i have is this shudder, and some slight slippage from 1st to 2nd...a fresh rebuild anyway will be sweet.
    Balltastic.

10. #10 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I was originally going to just fix my trans, then I got caught up in all these performance packages. Due to the price difference and the amount of HP that I actually put out...I'm going with the cheapo kit, however I'll be putting a transgo shift kit with a couple of odds and ends from one of these companies to fix things like keeping flow before being put into reverse and maybe a stronger band.

http://www.apsprecision.com/

http://www.importperformancetrans.co...rwd.shtml#main

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...101323592&rd=1 -the one I'm ordering
    Balltastic.

11. #11 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    Drilling the valve body like I mentioned earlier, It actually was a kit that I purchased from a trans shop here locally I want to say something like 20 bucks? Anyway it came with the template on where to drill and what size bit to use, replacement valve, and some check balls, if your interested I can pick up the kit and mail it to you

12. #12 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I need to do the exact same thing to my tranny(165000). It has a real hard time starting from a stop in drive but does fine in 1st and second. Thanks for the links and if you can definitly post some pics.
    93ish zj, d60s, 38.5 maxxis, and a bunch of other expensive parts to make them work.

Truck stacks, for when your trucks nuts are just not gay enough anymore.

13. #13 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I'm currently waiting for my rebuild kit off ebay to get here so I can do this to mine. I'm going to do that shift kit while it's out as well. I'm also going to replace the oil pump while it's out and all the seals.

14. #14 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    Wouldn't you normally replace all the seals anyways? I just realized that the kit from ebay is so much cheaper because they don't include the steels, which you can resuse anyways. They also use some credible clutches.
    Balltastic.

15. #15 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    i just bought a 96 grand i beleive it is a 42re does not move at all metal in pan.just wondering 1st of all if anyone knows if i can swap that for a 90 xj 5 speed without too much computer problems(everything else should be easy.2nd if stick is out can i put a different t-case in it(i have a full time now)3rd how much of a beating can these 42re take.any info. would be great

16. #16 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    yea you can swap tcases

and depending on how you wheel and what all you do to the trans is how much abuse it can take really, keep in mind its no aw4

17. #17 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    Man. What tooling do I actually need? The manual has a list of about 25 chrysler transmission tools. I need a spring compressor for the clutches, I know that, but what else do I absolutely need? Swamp Boy wanna chime in?
    I'm basically just taking the clutches and bands out and replacing with new. The overdrive will just be removed, and the valve body will just be removed and replaced with one of those fancy ones from either ipt or aps, haven't decided yet. As far as the rest of the trans, I'll reseal the servos but that is probably as far as I will go. What shall I be needing to do such a thing?
    Balltastic.

18. #18 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    Ok, so I now have an EMPTY case. Everything is out. It was actually much easier than I thought, and I had all the tools I needed. I'm not going to go too far into the overdrive, so I won't need anymore tools. Here are some pics as I was going along.
    Attached Images      
    Balltastic.

19. #19 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    VERY VERY odd. Now if you look at the pins I removed from the rear of the case, one of them didn't have any seals on it. I don't know if this is supposed to be this way, but considering it had grooves for them, I think it should have.

I also noticed some hot spots on the rear drum. I don't know if this should be replaced so I'm going to call wayne from APS and see what he thinks.
    Attached Images      
    Balltastic.

20. #20 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    My next move is to disassemble the oil pump, and other subassemblies to check things out. I am resealing everything in the front half of the case. I have new clutches and I'll be reusing the old steels. New front band, and a new custom valve body from aps. If I'm feeling crazy I might go into the overdrive further than the first set of clutches, but I doubt it.

There was EXTREME clearance in the 2nd gear clutch pack which would explain my problem I had. So i feel good knowing that as of right now everything looks good and solid and once back together it should be great.
    Attached Images      
    Balltastic.

21. #21 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    damn nice pics! I might try and this myself for when mine decides to die, but I have a spare 42re in my garage already that I can rebuild/experiment with beforehand.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

22. #22 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Looks like a nice case of ATF in the background, wonder where you got that
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

23. #23 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    I'm a supporter, what can I say
    Balltastic.

24. #24 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    So what tools did you need thus far? I didn't think it'd be more than some snap ring pliers and normal sockets and the like.

25. #25 Re: 42RE rebuild 
    Yea that's it. Some snap ring pliers, a C-clamp for the servos, a slide hammer (homemade with a long bolt and an old wrist pin), and some sockets. You will also need a sharp pick to replace the seals.
    Balltastic.

Page 1 of 6 123456 LastLast
Thread Information