Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2968

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
removing cladding

Thread: removing cladding

1. #1 removing cladding 
    i am thinking about removing my cladding, filling the holes with body filler, and putting rhino liner or something similar on where the cladding used to cover. what kind of liner in a can will stick well to scuffed paint and can be applied with a brush or roller. i would spray it on, but i am painting a bronco at the same time and dont want the hassle. any suggestions?
    98 zj, 6 inch bb, 6 inch body lift, 245-75-20, chrome spinners, 10,000 watt stereo.

2. #2 Re: removing cladding 
    I took mine down to primer with a wire brush attachment on my angle grinder, then rolled on some duplicolor truck bedliner. It works pretty well and is pretty cheap. It's not so much what you put on the vehicle, it's more how you prep the paint IMO
    Poetry in commotion.

3. #3 Re: removing cladding 
    May I ask why you want to replace it with herculiner? That cladding will protect your doors more than herculiner will.
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

4. #4 Re: removing cladding 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner
    MallCrawlin Vendor
    While trimming my fenders, I decided to remove the cladding all together. I'm glad I did as my cladding looked like crap (faded and stained). I wasn't going to leave it off as I thought it wouldn't look like a Grand anymore, but I really like it alot without it. My next step will be to grind off all the nubs sticking out and WELD the holes up and then paint it to factory white with rattle can. I'll be painting it or doing a wrap anyway, so this is just temporary. Here some photos of the trimming and what it looks like now without the cladding: http://rides.webshots.com/album/5597...Ax?vhost=rides
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ
    I no longer have a GF, and I suddenly find myself with extra money, and extra time to go wheeling. IT KICKS ASS!
    Damn it. I bought a JK, so no more money for wheeling!

Dan
    Phx-93 ZJ

Specializing exclusively in *HIGH-END QUALITY* Parts and Accessories for Grand Cherokees, Cherokees, and Wranglers since 1999

5. #5 Re: removing cladding 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95maxx View Post
    May I ask why you want to replace it with herculiner? That cladding will protect your doors more than herculiner will.
    1 9 year old grey cladding looks like shit.
    2 the giant ass sliders/ nerfbars will compensate.
    98 zj, 6 inch bb, 6 inch body lift, 245-75-20, chrome spinners, 10,000 watt stereo.

6. #6 Re: removing cladding 
    I'm keeping my cladding too. I painted it all with black bumper paint and it looks great. The bumpers are fun to smash against root balls and trees. The door cladding has been smashed against trees while I was off-camber enough that the LP1 sliders could'nt save the doors. They never have come off on the trail and just need a touch-up every now and then.

I've got video somewhere of me wheelin and a distinct CRACK sound can be heard and the passenger side cladding got stabbed by a protruding root in a deep trail. I don't see why some dudes are in such a hurry to remove it. Paint it first and try to kill it on the trail .
    96 ZJ based buggy, coming soon.
    96 ZJ on 36s, broke in half.
    97 ZJ on 31s, DD
    94 ZJ on 33s, temporary pacifier.
    91.5 Dodge Cummins on 35s, tow rig.

Freedom is the distance between church and state.

7. #7 Re: removing cladding 
    That cladding is BS. It makes it look cheap anyway. And I dont know what good it'll do...Mine cracked when it hit -20 last winter. And it gets way colder than that. I swapped it out for some flat black paint.
    Last edited by fsjtrash; 08-01-2007 at 01:44 AM. Reason: typo

8. #8 Re: removing cladding 
    Once I got to the point where the trimming made it so that I could not mount 1 piece of the cladding I took it all off. I think it looks better.

96 4" lift 33's and some other expensive stuff

9. #9 Re: removing cladding 
    mine look identical...but flat black and it was green
    new zj?

Thread Information