Thread: Carnage totals?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. #1 Carnage totals? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Seems there was a fair amount of carnage this year.

I managed to snap the front output yoke on my t-case, slash 2 sidewalls, and destroy a wheel. Good chance at some additional carnage too, I just haven't crawled under there to check everything out yet. I dumped it on the trailer Thursday and there it sat until last night when I drove it into the garage using the spare for my trailer, lol.

2. #2 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Nothing major from me...
    1) Whining/vibration under decelleration - suspect a u-joint.
    2) Bent 1/4" IRO TC skid plate
    3) Kolaks Super HD trackbar bushing I replaced the day before I left to Moab, on the way out of Moab, massive DW - bushing was torn again...only lasted 4 days Spent 15 minutes on the side of the road burning my hand replacing it in 1000000 deg heat.
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

3. #3 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    A new clunk from the front drivers side showed up while driving home. Maybe a control arm bolt, or the front shocks are finally dead, I'll look later, or just more thrown weights from the tire causing an unnatural vibration; it still drives OK around town.

Need to check the ears on the rear drive shaft and rear diff as I thunked it along a rock on Kane Creek after one of the major obsticles. but it didn't break on other obsticles, so I'm sure it is OK.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

4. #4 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    My only carnage was a broken front drivers CV shaft. First shaft I broke in 6 years of wheeling the WJ. Not bad and thanks to Ron we had the thing going with my spare in 20 minutes.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

5. #5 Re: Carnage totals? 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn WJ View Post
    My only carnage was a broken front drivers CV shaft. First shaft I broke in 6 years of wheeling the WJ. Not bad and thanks to Ron we had the thing going with my spare in 20 minutes.
    Is this the first ACTUAL case of a front CV axle shaft actually breaking?? I know people talk all the time about how weak they are and everyone does the u-joint swap, I have just NEVER heard of an actual case of one breaking, it is usually just hearsay and BS.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

6. #6 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Haven't dug into it yet, but so far just bangs and scrapes on the armor. Wiring box on my hitch took a good beating, so I'll have to make sure I check out my trailer lights next time I pull the pop-up.

Goofy noises from the coils on the passenger side (front and back) - one of them sings when it takes a quick hit. Suspecting the shocks - year-old DT3000 crappers. Probably time to start begging the wife for MX-6's
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

7. #7 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner Pitch's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
    Is this the first ACTUAL case of a front CV axle shaft actually breaking?? I know people talk all the time about how weak they are and everyone does the u-joint swap, I have just NEVER heard of an actual case of one breaking, it is usually just hearsay and BS.
    It was the 3rd WJ CV shaft that we replaced in about 1 mile of trail that day on Golden Spike. I replaced one last year after Pritchett Canyon as well. Yes, they certainly do break. They are fairly strong straight ahead, but under turning load and big tires they like to go boom! In each case, it was the CV joint that broke, and not the actual shaft.

My "carnage" was merely a bent WJ tierod suffered on Rockchucker... not bad at all. Drove the 320 miles home with no issues at all, even when I got the 'ol 6cyl cranking to well over 80 mph.
    Toyota FJ80, lifted, locked, slow
    Sold: 01 WJ, 93 YJ, 86 CJ7

8. #8 Re: Carnage totals? 
    You're kidding...right??? I broke mine with open difs and 28" tires. Total POS.
    '96 GC Laredo V8; Tom Woods front U-Joint Shaft; Kevins sliders; 4.5" RE springs; Kevin's track bar conversion; JKS short arms, discos, and track bars; Pro Comp 16x8 mags with 305/70/16 Mud rovers.

Support Our Troops!!!

9. #9 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    I had a nut fall off of a control arm bolt. I blame Big Dave.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

10. #10 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    It ended up being just a little more than a nut falling off!! lol It did all go back together pretty easy though. Most of the bolts on the axle end of your front control arms were pretty loose, but they should be at least "okay" at this point. I'd still do something to that pass side LCA bracket since the holes are so wallowed out and double check the threads on the pass side UCA.

11. #11 Re: Carnage totals? 
    I broke one on the 'Con. wanna know how weak they are? I was powerbraking some to try to get both my fronts spinning, turned a little bit and heard a little pop. the front right cv snapped.

Wanna hear the kicker? IT WAS ON THE WHEEL IN THE AIR. I actually just put the jeep in park, pulled the ebrake and changed it on the spot with no jack. I dont understand how the airborne one broke when I didnt let it gain any momentum, or even let that one touch the ground.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

12. #12 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Admin
    ....Are you serious?

I broke 4 or 5 on 31's.

13. #13 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I had a nut fall off of a control arm bolt. I blame Big Dave.
    At least your Jeep came back to you in better shape than it was when you loaned it out Cody!

I about busted a nut when Dave was under the Jeep going, "Damn, this sure would go easier if we had a floor jack" - then Arlo pipes in..."Here it comes!"
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

14. #14 Re: Carnage totals? 
    1. Sheered off the mounting bracket that holds on the power steering pump. $80 to reweld.

2. Broke the tension pully assembly. $130.

3. Running like a POS and barely idling since I got home.....priceless.

4. Dave shipping my exhaust pipe to me that came off on Spike.....$$$

A huge thanks again to WestexZJ for rescuing me on the side of the road.

Hunter
    04 4.7 HO limited
    04 4.7 HO Overland
    00 4.7 with no lift or mods (RIP)
    94 5.9 with lift and mods (sold)

15. #15 Re: Carnage totals? 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    I broke one on the 'Con. wanna know how weak they are? I was powerbraking some to try to get both my fronts spinning, turned a little bit and heard a little pop. the front right cv snapped.

Wanna hear the kicker? IT WAS ON THE WHEEL IN THE AIR. I actually just put the jeep in park, pulled the ebrake and changed it on the spot with no jack. I dont understand how the airborne one broke when I didnt let it gain any momentum, or even let that one touch the ground.
    You broke it because you were powerbraking. What did you think was going to happen?

16. #16 Re: Carnage totals? 

I think he was being sarcastic

17. #17 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    We had to change one CV shaft out on Hell's Revenge last year after it broke on Tip Over Challenge. No hopping, bad spinning, or turning involved from what I remember and he was on 31's and open.

I wouldn't run them and swapped my original ones back in when I changed my front axles to get 3.73s with an ARB five years ago. My u-jointed ones have been great and while I don't abuse them I do things with the locker engaged a lot and it includes some spinnig and turning. I know that I need to replace the u-joints, for peace of mind and experiance this year, but no complaints after 175k miles and a lot of trips to Moab and the moutains of CO. I do have the larger u-joints which helps I'm sure.

That last major climb out of Kane Creek involved a lot of spinning and sliding, but they held together.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

18. #18 Re: Carnage totals? 
    1 thrown C/V drive shaft

1 smoked mile marker winch

1 dead battery

1 crushed lower control arm mount

Thats all so far but I am sure there will be more to come.
    1997 V8 ZJ, HP60, 14B, 38's

19. #19 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Lost a nut on my rear swaybar, blow out on highway of MTR, bolt feel out of front bumpstop and slightly loose upper trackbar bolt. Thats it.
    hp30, 8.8, long arms, chevy steering, 6" lift, 35 mtrs, 231, locked SOLD

20. #20 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Made it home. A few new creaks and groans but I learned to ignore them long ago, at least until something starts shaking. Bent my JKS rock slider, plus a few scrapes on my new bumpers, and totally redesigned my pretty chrome tailpipe.

21. #21 Re: Carnage totals? 
    It was SO HOT in Moab that the flex pipe I use for OBA plumbing blew apart. I had to resort to feeding quarters into the damn pay Air at City Market to finish the last tire (yeah, minor, but I just hate feeding quarters into wimpy ass compressors).

Second track bar bracket bolt/nut set are stripping, causing annoying noises. I HATE track bars!!!!

4.0L engine ran like crap a lot of the time. Ken was thinking I had light vapor lock, so I may try header tape on the fuel rail.

22. #22 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Bent the sliders up pretty good (good thing I won the TnT 50% off sliders gift cert)

Power steering pump isn't happy, works great on the road, but the trail was a pain. (Only 1 week old too, good thing it's under warrenty).

Broke the front steering stab, picked one up in Moab and it drove home fine.

I pushed the D30 pretty hard, and was VERY suprised it held up that well. Considering the only upgraded part on it is the 760 u-joints.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

23. #23 Re: Carnage totals? 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
    1. Sheered off the mounting bracket that holds on the power steering pump. $80 to reweld.

2. Broke the tension pully assembly. $130.

3. Running like a POS and barely idling since I got home.....priceless.

4. Dave shipping my exhaust pipe to me that came off on Spike.....$$$

A huge thanks again to WestexZJ for rescuing me on the side of the road.

Hunter
    Sounds like your coil is not the problem afterall.
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

24. #24 Re: Carnage totals? 
    BUT.... I did find a sweet hat on Pritchett, so in my mind I came out ahead.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

25. #25 Re: Carnage totals? 
    Member GSSW Planner
    I blew out to UCA bushings on Pritchett on Friday.

Thanks to Steve (the owner) at Moab 4X4 Outpost he machined down YJ leaf spring bushings and made them work for my UCA's for $85 installed with my help (the lift made this much easier). I was ready for the following day.

On Saturday I broke my rear Drive Shaft in two on Cliff Hanger. I think it got very badly bent first then twisted in two. Once again to Steve at the CLOSED 4X4 Outpost he build me a replacement Drive Shaft for $190.00.

That was it for Moab.

Just an FYI.... before i went to the Alloy Shafts with u-joints I blew out 3 passenger side CV shafts. The first one I believe there was a small hole in the boot before I took the ZJ into a deep mud hole. Mud and water don't make a great lubricant.
    Matt McKeon
    Saline, MI
    95 ZJ Kevin's Offroad 7" long arm kit
    Rear 8.8 w/488's & ARB
    front HPD44 w/488's & Tru-track

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Thread Information