Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Hookup - Now with Solar

Thread: Project Hookup - Now with Solar

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
  1. #1 Project Hookup - Now with Solar 
    Sup Guys, ( Hey all, I have pulled my images from Photo bucket and am in the process of loading to google photos and replacing them)

I got this 99 Wj as a hookup from a friend of my dad for 5K in January 07. It had 100K on the clock and was pretty well taken care of, it came with the L6 and Selectrac Tcase... I got the deal because it needed new tires, diff work, and had some minor blemishes.
    He kept up on most basic stuff.

So after wasting a ton of $ on getting the Diff fixed and new Dueller A/T 225/75 (Doh) I started the learning process.

My dads friend was cheap and didnt get any options I went to Ebay for help.
    -PIAA driving Fog Lights Custom wired and Mounted For late night trips on Highway 50 up to Lake Tahoe. -OEM Tow hooks and Towhitch for a pull when I finally get her stuck...

Here is the earliest pic I have and was after adding 31's and a BB.

And Here how she sits now, I have just ordered the Goliath Rack to replace the Thule you will see later in the thread:
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 09-15-2020 at 05:15 PM.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

2. #2 Re: DA Hookup 
    The next Noob thing to add was the old Trusty BB
    Front and TCase OEM skids.
    I also went in and added a CB on my and my lil brothers rigs so we can shit talk while on the trail...

I pulled the Tail light and ran it inline with the stock wire and have since added a spring and quick release... For those that are interested its a firestick antenna mount.

Upgraded to Brembo's and drilled rotors = BIG difference

So after all that fun easy mods we hit Strawberry Pass (South lake Tahoe Near Kirkwood)
    For our shakedown run we did the first half going from the workers station to the water crossing. Half way through we found the highest spot and set up camp.

After heading out and having a good time we headed back to Caples lake for some fishing and DRINKING!!!

Between 4 of us we Killled two thirty packs of beer and started on the Jim Beam and killed about 90% of that before we passed the F out. My bros buddy pissed himself in his sleeping bag. Good times...

Bug bit me = Bigger.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 09-13-2020 at 10:56 PM.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

3. #3 Re: DA Hookup 
    So since I was recently married and we were scraping together our funds to buy our first place money was scarce. For those in the SF Bay Area you know what I mean...

So I scraped together just enough and got a set of Rocky-Road Sliders.

Piaa low/high beam bulbs

I started piecing together a Frankenstein lift. I got pretty good deals via Ebay Craigslist and the forums.
    Includes:
    2"BB (already owned)
    OME HD 2" Springs
    OME SS (replaced recently w/ Tennco)
    JKS Trac-Bar/BPE/Quick Discos
    Teraflex A spacer/ and Tcase drop Kit
    Rubicon Express TT shocks
    1.25 Wheel Spacers
    5th Spare Rim (Thannks to Wonder371)
    Set of 5 MT/R off a Rubi with 5K on E'm
    Spring Retainers from IRO

At the trailhead at Hollister OHV

Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 09-13-2020 at 11:01 PM.
    Will

4. #4 Re: DA Hookup 
    Half rack = 12 beers
    2003 WJ 4.7, Clayton's 7", 35" Goodyear MTR's, Sliders, ARB, yada yada yada....

5. #5 Re: DA Hookup 
    AHHHH! Well I meant two 30 Packs.. Rack just sounded better in my head.
    Will

6. #6 Re: DA Hookup 
    So after I put the lift in I was having some minor DW issues. I added the HD TB bushings and it helped a little but shifted the shimmy to a different MPH range.
    None the less we put a 3" lift in little bro's TJ and some 32" BFG A/T and we went with a local club to Hollister to see how they roll. Nothing to difficult but to give us an idea of what she can do.
    We did some Ravines
    Little Flex

NEED LOCKERS

Posing @ full Stuff

I just got a new MONROE SS and after the first day it seems to have subdued the shimmy and DW. This weekend will be the testing ground.
    My original OME SS was used. (so much for saving $20)

Future Plans:
    Flipping TR & DL/ DONE
    On board Air/CO2 DONE
    Roof Rack w/ shovel & Hi-Lift holder DONE
    Front Bumper (ARB)
    DONE
    Rear Bumper (???)
    Custom High Clearance IRO Long Arms Front DONE
    Swap D35 for Ford 9" DONE
    Currie HP 3RD Rear Detroit locker 4.88 gears for ford 9" DONE
    ARB Locker &4.88 for D30 DONE
    35" MTRs tires on Bead-Locks DONE
    Raise Gas Tank DONE
    Rear Long Arms DONE
    Swap Out D30 for 609 Swap - have all the parts but dont have the $5K to get it installed
    Dual Battery with Solar panel on the roof DONE
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 09-13-2020 at 11:13 PM. Reason: Updated Plans Once Again!!!
    Will

7. #7 Re: DA Hookup 
    Ive been looking at those rocky-road sliders for a good bit now. How do you like them? Im getting a pair in a bout a month and am trying to find my best bet
    '00 wj limited v8 w/ QD, 3in iron rock lift, 265/75R16 BFG AT's, JKS discos, and and ENDLESS list of repairs ($$$$$).. The guys at Jeep must have been drunk and stoned when they made this one.

8. #8 Re: DA Hookup 
    Yeah, I enjoy them. They work pretty good as a step and havent had to save my rockers yet but they fit snug and have worked great as a jacking point. All I read about people using them sounded good and I have no doubts that they wont perform. Plus they lifetime guarantee doesnt hurt either... Hope that helps.
    Will

9. #9 Re: DA Hookup 
    Hey was that pic taken with "espritdefour" Monthly trail meeting?

10. #10 Re: DA Hookup 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Looks like Keith's twin.

Nice dub!
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

11. #11 Re: DA Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by MBATF View Post
    Hey was that pic taken with "espritdefour" Monthly trail meeting?

Yup we went out with Esprit De Four.

Quote Originally Posted by PUMA297 View Post
    Looks like Keith's twin. Nice dub!
    Thx.

Its actually the ghost of Keiths rig since he went to the LA.... But yeah, I was picking his brain about the BB/OME lift...
    Will

12. #12 Re: DA Hookup 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Nice clean looking dub. I was looking thru your list of todo's and see that you want to put a luchbox locker in the rear... you have replaced the turdy-five right? If not, another item to learn from Keith, keep it open until you replace it. The front locker will get you far, but keep the gear ratio in mind and get it with a carrier to take you higher.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

13. #13 Re: DA Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by PassRunnerZJ View Post
    Nice clean looking dub. I was looking thru your list of todo's and see that you want to put a luchbox locker in the rear... you have replaced the turdy-five right? If not, another item to learn from Keith, keep it open until you replace it. The front locker will get you far, but keep the gear ratio in mind and get it with a carrier to take you higher.
    Yup I am planning on going with some 4.10 or 4.56 gears, havent quite decided which way to go yet. I am trying also to decide a lunchbox or Ox in the front? I have the selec-trac is there going to be a noticeable clicking with the LB? I can't see myself going over 33's unless I get another rig for DD or win the lotto...

I know they are not the preferred axel but Is the D35 really THAT bad? Are we talking just about bringing some spare axels? Thoughts???
    Will

14. #14 Re: DA Hookup 
    Last time I checked, trees grow up, not sideways

Quote Originally Posted by WJJEEPIN View Post

03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

15. #15 Re: DA Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    Last time I checked, trees grow up, not sideways
    What are you talking about... That is how they grow in Tahoe... Its a gravitational thingie that only happens there..

Yeah that is what I get for letting my Hippie friend hold the camera! Bastard was taking photos all day and when I checked them out at the end about 85% were "artistically" taken.... (at all stupid off center angles and funky rotations.) Fing bastard!!!
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 06-12-2007 at 05:07 PM.
    Will

16. #16 Re: DA Hookup 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by WJJEEPIN View Post
    I know they are not the preferred axel but Is the D35 really THAT bad? Are we talking just about bringing some spare axels? Thoughts???
    Yes and yes, but they are a PIA to change on the trail due to c-clips, weak axle shafts, and a weak housing. Keep your eyes open for a 44a from another WJ or start researching into an 8.8 build. Really any money you put into a turdy-five is wasted. Keep it open until then.
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

17. #17 Re: DA Hookup 
    So my first baby was born last week ...

I cant wait till he is old enough to get on the trail with me.

Anywho just to make it better when I returned from sleeping on a cot next to my wife in the hospital for 4 days I got a package. It was the IRO TR flip!

MAD BEEF!!!

Its got a cut out on the other side so you dont have to flip the DL.

Now I just need to find time to get under the jeep and get er done!
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 09-13-2020 at 11:16 PM.
    Will

18. #18 Re: DA Hookup 
    Ive been busy...
    Found a local dude who helped me weld in the insert an flip the DL up to the top. (BIG THANKS TO JWAG form bayarea4x4)
    That alone helped the steering issues I was having.
    I also got the IRO TRFlip up top.

This flip as most of U know, allows me to flip the SS up top and out of harms way.

All in all it lifted the TR 4.5" over the stock location.

I found a KILLER deal on upper and lower adjustable RE superflex Control arms thanks to DC4WD!!!

I used the #'s from ARLOGUTHRO's SUS thread and it REALLY helped my caster. W/O any real alignment it drives just about how it did before I started lifting her.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 09-13-2020 at 11:20 PM.
    Will

19. #19 Re: DA Hookup 
    My Bday just past and I got the hook up from the family.

Popps hooked me up with a used Loadwarrior w/ extension. Threw the spare tire up there and freed up some tool stotage.

Grandma hooked up a 15lb co2 tank setup from the source so I built a holder for it over the driver side rear tire well, I realize this is not able to be used in this orientation but it worked for mounting it.

with enough room to still access the new tool storage.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 09-14-2020 at 02:45 PM.
    Will

20. #20 Re: DA Hookup 
    You need to stand that co2 tank up!
    "Matt"

21. #21 Re: DA Hookup 
    Do WJs have a storage box in the back cargo area, or am I just seeing things in the last pic?
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan View Post
    I live in your skull.

Rent free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just move to Boulder with the rest of the tree hugging Prius driving hippies and you'll be fine.

22. #22 Re: DA Hookup 
    Are you talking about the lid thing on the floor? I think it's where the spare tire goes. It's a lid that covers the tire up.
    -RC
    97 ZJ 5.2 V8 with a 231 and a BB.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"
    -Gladiator

23. #23 Re: DA Hookup 
    Thats pretty sweet. I never knew that.
    Quote Originally Posted by TrojanMan View Post
    I live in your skull.

Rent free.
    Quote Originally Posted by Matt View Post
    Just move to Boulder with the rest of the tree hugging Prius driving hippies and you'll be fine.

24. #24 Re: DA Hookup 
    First, taking pictures with the camera at 45* doesn't fool anyone.

Second, that intake looks just a wee-bit extreme for the I-6.

Other than that, nice Dub. They're sooo pretty!
    Poetry in commotion.

25. #25 Re: DA Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by SuicideTireZJ View Post
    First, taking pictures with the camera at 45* doesn't fool anyone.

Second, that intake looks just a wee-bit extreme for the I-6.

Other than that, nice Dub. They're sooo pretty!
    As for #1 Yes I know... Refer to post #15...

#2 Just opening up the intake and working my way back and I got it dirt cheap.... Will be adding headers and exhaust in the near future. When she blows or I start getting some bigger paychecks I will be porting it out.

And thanks, yup she's purdy, I cant decide If i like her dirty or clean..

Quote Originally Posted by rccolacc View Post
    Are you talking about the lid thing on the floor? I think it's where the spare tire goes. It's a lid that covers the tire up.
    -RC
    Yup that is where the spare used to be. Its now up top. And I store tools and such down there...

Quote Originally Posted by Preppi12 View Post
    You need to stand that co2 tank up!
    Its only stored that way. It is always removed when in use...
    Will

Page 1 of 17 1234567891011 ... LastLast
Thread Information