Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Project Hookup - Now with Solar - Page 8

Thread: Project Hookup - Now with Solar

Page 8 of 17 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314151617 LastLast
  1. #176 Re: Project Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by WJJEEPIN View Post

From what I have heard from a few different sources the control arms will just bolt up, its the track bar that is the issue in that swap. So on the cheap you could get the axle for cheap used or from online and probably just source the brackets from IRO to get it buttoned up.

Let me know when you start to work on the 9". I might be able to throw some time saving advice your way.
    Are you speaking of the 44 or the 9? Are you getting a HP9 for the front?
    I have much research to do on axle swaps for a WJ still. I'm thinking about making it a long running project, since I'll be hunting junkyards for either HP44/9 combo, or 9/9 combo. I actually haven't dismissed a HP44/44 combo.

I'm going to have a couple of dollars to do some work, but I'm thinking about doing a full clayton hard arm kit, and then just do some fab work on the stock axles for the time being. I honestly haven't been wheeling much, and the ride quality is just crap being at 5.5" with short arms. It's a toughness vs. ride quality right now. The money I'd spend on upgraded axles vs. a claytons kit is pretty comparable. The only reason I'm thinking about the axle swap first is the damn ball joints on a D30 with 33's. SLOP!
    Balltastic.

2. #177 Re: Project Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by death-mobile View Post
    Are you speaking of the 44 or the 9? Are you getting a HP9 for the front?
    I have much research to do on axle swaps for a WJ still. I'm thinking about making it a long running project, since I'll be hunting junkyards for either HP44/9 combo, or 9/9 combo. I actually haven't dismissed a HP44/44 combo.

I'm going to have a couple of dollars to do some work, but I'm thinking about doing a full clayton hard arm kit, and then just do some fab work on the stock axles for the time being. I honestly haven't been wheeling much, and the ride quality is just crap being at 5.5" with short arms. It's a toughness vs. ride quality right now. The money I'd spend on upgraded axles vs. a claytons kit is pretty comparable. The only reason I'm thinking about the axle swap first is the damn ball joints on a D30 with 33's. SLOP!
    Yeah the 5"+ on short arms is a tad harsh, if you upgrade shox it would be a little nicer ride. Ball joints arent a hard fix, just time. I'd do axles first as you can wheel with the short arms fine.

Im referring to the JK44 from the factory. From what I have heard from a few sources the LCA and UCA are bolt in. Dont quote me on it as I dont have first hand experience. So all you would need is to work out the trackbar.

You mentioned a 9/9 combo from the junkyard. Just making sure you know the 9" never came in a front application, its a 100% custom application. Though the 44/9 is a perfect combo for the wj. The only reason I am thinking of the JK44 vs a junkyard late 70's 44 is the ability to keep the speedo censors on the shafts rather than deal with a sye. And the ability to get it done and ready to go from IRO makes it easy. If I had access to welding equipment my feelings would be differnt.

The hp44/44 is great too and a AL44 is bolt in and you can get lockers and add a junkyard 44 up front and your pretty solid for 35's. Just for ease an AL44 is a GREAT swap for the D35. All it needs is gears and skid/truss which is way cheaper than having to deal with all the bracketry and welding time.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 03-25-2009 at 10:27 AM.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

The Hookup Build http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12701

3. #178 Re: Project Hookup 
    I did know the front 9 would be a custom job. I'm still torn between which mod to do next. My girlfriend drives my jeep to work 40 miles each way, 4 days a week...so the ride quality of a claytons kit would be HUGE difference vs. upgrading axles.

The kit from IRO for the 44 seems pretty good. I wouldn't have them do any work really, just get the bare axle and brackets...weld it up myself and add gears...although workwise, it's tempting to have them do everything and just spend the loot.
    Balltastic.

4. #179 Re: Project Hookup 
    I did know the front 9 would be a custom job. I'm still torn between which mod to do next. My girlfriend drives my jeep to work 40 miles each way, 4 days a week...so the ride quality of a claytons kit would be HUGE difference vs. upgrading axles.

The kit from IRO for the 44 seems pretty good. I wouldn't have them do any work really, just get the bare axle and brackets...weld it up myself and add gears...although workwise, it's tempting to have them do everything and just spend the loot.
    Well if you can weld, then claytons as a first step is a good one. Get it a nice ride and meanwhile look for an AL44 to replace the 35. then rock it on 33's till something pops and swap the 30 out when it does.
    Will

99 4.0 DubJ 35"MTRs/ Custom IRO LA's/ Currie 9" housing/ Yukon 4.88 Gears 35 spline Grizzly Rear Lockers and ARB Front.

5. #180 Re: Project Hookup 
    that sounds like an excellent plan. time to start browsing the clayton build threads now
    Balltastic.

6. #181 Re: Project Hookup 
    that sounds like an excellent plan. time to start browsing the clayton build threads now
    Glad I could be of help. You have a big leg up since you can weld. I would have had this swap done months ago if I had welding equipment.
    Will

7. #182 Re: Project Hookup 
    ive been debating and im still debating between working on an 8.8, or just looking for a good deal on an AL44..DM how is the 35 and stock gears holding up on 33's? unless you regeared?
    99WJ 4.0 IRO 3", 33" KM2's, skids/bumpers, D30 Aussie/8.8 open

8. #183 Re: Project Hookup 
    it's fine, i built the trans to compensate. if the trans was stock..ehhh...i wouldn't be able to deal with it around town
    Balltastic.

9. #184 Re: Project Hookup 
    it's fine, i built the trans to compensate. if the trans was stock..ehhh...i wouldn't be able to deal with it around town
    You have the v8 though?
    Will

10. #185 Re: Project Hookup 
    nope, I6. 3.55s and 33x12.5s

manually shifting gears up or down to go up hills or pull out from a lot allows me to feel fast
    Last edited by death-mobile; 03-25-2009 at 01:29 PM. Reason: woops
    Balltastic.

11. #186 Re: Project Hookup 
    nope, I6. 3.55s and 33x12.5s

manually shifting gears up or down to go up hills or pull out from a lot allows me to feel fast
    Interesting. When my tranny blows I'll ping you on the list of parts I need to beef it up... My 3.55 gears are suitable for street and fwy, though in the mountain passes it lacks the push. 4LO is good but could be lower. My 31's with my factory speedo gears are dead on. So the 4.1 with your 33's will be nice and low and wold be able to spin the 35's you were mentioning, at least till you regear...
    Will

12. #187 Re: Project Hookup 
    will, sorry to jack your build thread, you think the AL44 is a better route to go if i just plan on running 33's..im still debating 4:10s or 4:56s but ill decide that when the time comes, thats the reason i was gonna go all out on the 8.8 cause you can save money on gears and find one with discs and 4:10s..

my fronts already locked so i wouldnt want a DD with two auto lockers in it, the 8.8 has much more aftermarket support...

what doyou think

13. #188 Re: Project Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
    will, sorry to jack your build thread, you think the AL44 is a better route to go if i just plan on running 33's..im still debating 4:10s or 4:56s but ill decide that when the time comes, thats the reason i was gonna go all out on the 8.8 cause you can save money on gears and find one with discs and 4:10s..

my fronts already locked so i wouldnt want a DD with two auto lockers in it, the 8.8 has much more aftermarket support...

what doyou think
    Hey lakai
    No worries. Well for ease of install and to run 33-35's the al44 is a great choice. No welding needed to get on the road and everything matches and bolts up. Only thing u really need is a skid/truss. Gears and lockers are limited but with 33's & 4.56 is a good matchup. As for auto
    locker it would be fine in the rear and not as noticaBle as in the front. U have a 242 tcase right? Plus when u regear you can upgrade the front locker. And u can get lower gearing from the t case if so desired.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 03-25-2009 at 10:47 PM.
    Will

14. #189 Re: Project Hookup 
    Hey lakai
    No worries. Well for ease of install and to run 33-35's the al44 is a great choice. No welding needed to get on the road and everything matches and bolts up. Only thing u really need is a skid/truss. Gears and lockers are limited but with 33's & 4.56 is a good matchup. As for auto
    locker it would be fine in the rear and not as noticaBle as in the front. U have a 242 tcase right? Plus when u regear you can upgrade the front locker. And u can get lower gearing from the t case if so desired.
    waht do you mean by upgrade the front locker?

15. #190 Re: Project Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by lakailimited06 View Post
    waht do you mean by upgrade the front locker?
    I mean you will eventually upgrade your gears. At that point you can upgrade your front to selectable locker since uprobably have 3.55 gears and will need a new carrier For the larger gears.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 03-25-2009 at 11:14 PM.
    Will

16. #191 Re: Project Hookup 
    Whats up FOLKS!! Its been a while since i've been on here. After I lost my job I started grinding on everything else but the jeep. So I did some real estate in the interim and was able to sell a property in Palo Alto and am close to selling one in Daily City. So this along with a new job at Wells Fargo has allowed me to get back to the jeep.

Sunday the 5th I dropped everything off at Comberson's Toy Shop to get the 9" all welded up. and the ARB and new gears in the Dub.

Pics:
    On the Rack

New diff cover and you can see the Blue line on top...

All welded up and in place with brakes:

Upper A Arm all hooked up

TSM Brakes and CPP Caddi Calipurs
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 07-14-2009 at 10:58 PM.
    Will

17. #192 Re: Project Hookup 
    Here are a couple Iphone Pix. I went by and its all together and rolling around, just needs to do a final check be4 he hands it back. I will be picking it up tomorrow. SO FREEKING ANXIOUS!!!

Front

Back

Left to do:
    Rewire rear speedo wires to front DONE
    Wire and dial in Superlift Speedo Adjuster DONE
    ARB compressor for front ARB. DONE
    Cut Fenders DONE
    Install Alloy USA D30 seals
    p/u 5th rim for spare

Take it out and Wheel the PISS out of it.
    Last edited by WJJEEPIN; 05-23-2010 at 12:42 PM.
    Will

18. #193 Re: Project Hookup 
    damn!
    97 V8 zj.
    35"KM2s.aussies,4.88s,full chromos,1 ton hi steer in the 44/8.8.KOR/Clayton longarms.
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...ad.php?t=17603

03 Cobra with horsepowers

19. #194 Re: Project Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by Jeeperoni91 View Post
    damn!
    My sentiments exactly. Should be picking it up in the next couple hours. Ill post some better pix.
    Will

20. #195 Re: Project Hookup 
    Got her home. Didnt have time to flex it out on his RTI ramp. Will go back in a couple weeks to double check the bolts on everything and hopefully get up on the ramp.

Here she sits in my driveway. Do you think my wife would be mad if I decided to sleep in the jeep tonight???

The Axles

How far they stick out.

Will

21. #196 Re: Project Hookup 
    First driving impressions.

I enjoy the 4.88's, they actually make it drive like it did with 29" tires, maybe a hair more torque but more or less the same. I'm getting some vibes from the rear end and I believe its u joints or the shaft. I am hearing some weird ticking at parking lot speeds from the locker as I dont believe its engaged. I can gas it in a turn and the tires dont always chirp. And to add a degree of fun when i hit the brakes the ticking stops, I am guessing because the torque is off the locker. I will post this in the tech section to see if anyone has any experience with this problem.
    Will

22. #197 Re: Project Hookup 
    Ur WJ looks badass!!!!!!!
    I want ur Hp9!!!!!!!!
    96 ZJ Limited, 5.2 with K&N filter, Hi flow cat, Cherry bomb extreme muffler, Clayton long arms 6" lift, Steering box brace from KOR, KOR track bar Conversion,TnT steering, 242 TC, 8.8 with ARB Locker, dana 30, 4.88 gearing, 35 KM2's
    KOR bumpers
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17149
    07 CRF250X

23. #198 Re: Project Hookup 

Set of Dutchman front chromo U's for the front.

Does Dutchman offer that as a standard product now, or did you scrounge up parts and have them build the custom inner shaft? Looks like you pulled the inners from salvage maybe.

24. #199 Re: Project Hookup 
    I believe they are dutchman inner shafts and used XJ outer shafts.

As for the dutchman shafts, I know they used to produce them, not sure if they still make them.

25. #200 Re: Project Hookup 
    Quote Originally Posted by wjcando View Post
    Does Dutchman offer that as a standard product now, or did you scrounge up parts and have them build the custom inner shaft? Looks like you pulled the inners from salvage maybe.
    As far as I know they never offered them as a standard product. Its a cutsom cut shaft and ships pretty quick.

So they started life as chromo D44 inner shafts and they mill them down to work with the wj length and center section. Just specify what ujoint size your using and they will work with you. I posted the price I paid 6 or 8 months ago.

I got all my info from this thread:

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//showthread.php?t=9323

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Best,
    Will

Thread Information