Thread: 10 Days left

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
  1. #1 10 Days left 
    Time to get in the garage and wrench, build, mod, and fix the Jeep.

Tick... Tock... tick... tock...

Luckily, this time around my to do list is pretty small.
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

2. #2 Re: 10 Days left 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    Yep, the final weekend is coming up to get it ready. Matt, I think you changed everything you could before our last trip to Moab. My list is small too, I'm happy.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

3. #3 Re: 10 Days left 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Hopefully my list stays small. I had to drive the Jeep today to Medved so they could press some seals back onto my axleshafts, damn vacuum actuated hubs. Anyways, any bump over 15 mph and HOLY CRAP DID ALL HELL BREAK LOOSE!!!! First real DW I've ever had in almost 6 years of having a lifted ZJ. All 4 bolts on the frame side trackbar bracket weren't even finger tight. Not sure if that's the cause or the effect though. There's some slight vertical play on the output shaft of the steering box . . .

4. #4 Re: 10 Days left 
    Admin
    Just so ya'll know, YOU ALL SUCK. But only since I can't be there this year.

5. #5 Re: 10 Days left 
    4 JEEPIN Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Just so ya'll know, YOU ALL SUCK. But only since I can't be there this year.
    If you have room on your credit card YOU CAN COME TO GSW. To me, it's worth the debt. It's the one week I look forward to the most every year. You can figure out how to pay for it later. See you next week?
    Sandy Reshes
    Every GSW since it started in 1998, except for 2014
    95 ZJ with Clayt's longarms, some cool ARB & OME stuff
    05 Rubicon

Please patronize our GSW sponsors

6. #6 Re: 10 Days left 
    Yeah Matt, sounds like the rig is now "trail worthy". CYA in a week.

PS, I think I'm heading up the Carnage Boulder this Wed to just make a quick test run. I need to make sure my steering is now fixed (new pump, synth fluid). If anyone wants to come along I'll PM you my number. Trailhead @ 5:30-6:00 PM.

Matt
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

7. #7 Re: 10 Days left 
    Senor Member Lifetime Supporter ArloGuthroJeep's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ View Post
    Hopefully my list stays small. I had to drive the Jeep today to Medved so they could press some seals back onto my axleshafts, damn vacuum actuated hubs. Anyways, any bump over 15 mph and HOLY CRAP DID ALL HELL BREAK LOOSE!!!! First real DW I've ever had in almost 6 years of having a lifted ZJ. All 4 bolts on the frame side trackbar bracket weren't even finger tight. Not sure if that's the cause or the effect though. There's some slight vertical play on the output shaft of the steering box . . .
    I am fighting DW myself as well, just like last year it showed up a few weeks before GSW
    -Ryan
    '04 WJ w/6" on Clayton LA's, 242 SYE, 4.56 (locked 44a), 35" BFG MT KM2's

8. #8 Re: 10 Days left 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    $.10 says it is the front trackbar bushing... do you still have the rubber one? I think there are some posts, oh wait NAGCA is gone
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

9. #9 Re: 10 Days left 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    If you have room on your credit card YOU CAN COME TO GSW. To me, it's worth the debt. It's the one week I look forward to the most every year. You can figure out how to pay for it later. See you next week?
    Spoken like a true american!

I'm gonna miss getting out there this year.... ALOT! But it would be a seriously bad financial decision for me to make the trip out there, even by plane. School is expensive! You guys have a good time, and dont forget to drunk dial the poooomz!
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

10. #10 Re: 10 Days left 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Quote Originally Posted by PassRunnerZJ View Post
    $.10 says it is the front trackbar bushing... do you still have the rubber one? I think there are some posts, oh wait NAGCA is gone
    I'm running the Super Hard Durometer bushings in both ends of the trackbar, just put them in last year and they look real tight still. After I tightened up the bolts on the trackbar bracket everything looked good, but I didnt have time to take it out for a test drive.

11. #11 Re: 10 Days left 
    Grand Slam West Planner

After I tightened up the bolts on the trackbar bracket everything looked good, but I didnt have time to take it out for a test drive.
    From 1999-2001 I struggled with DW a few times a year. I changed every friggin part of the front end to no avail (tie rods, steering stabs, bushings, etc.). WITHOUT EXCEPTION, every time an extra turn on either the upper or lower track bar bolt cured it. 90% of the time it was the upper track bar bolt that needed a turn. Carry extra grade 8 track bar bolts in case you over tighten and snap one. And when it feels damn tight, put a cheater bar on the wrench and tighten it another 1/4 - 1/2 turn. My two cents!

EDIT: And if you still have that tie rod end in the upper mount, try replacing it with a heavy duty heim joint.
    Last edited by Sandy R; 06-05-2007 at 07:48 AM.
    Sandy Reshes
    05 Rubicon

12. #12 Re: 10 Days left 
    Quote Originally Posted by Sandy R View Post
    From 1999-2001 I struggled with DW a few times a year. I changed every friggin part of the front end to no avail (tie rods, steering stabs, bushings, etc.). WITHOUT EXCEPTION, every time an extra turn on either the upper or lower track bar bolt cured it. 90% of the time it was the upper track bar bolt that needed a turn. Carry extra grade 8 track bar bolts in case you over tighten and snap one. And when it feels damn tight, put a cheater bar on the wrench and tighten it another 1/4 - 1/2 turn. My two cents!

EDIT: And if you still have that tie rod end in the upper mount, try replacing it with a heavy duty heim joint.
    Ever since we tightened down mine like that at GSW last year, I have to buy 2-3 bolts every time I retorque my trackbar because I ALWAYS break at least one thanks to your method
    -Ryan

13. #13 Re: 10 Days left 
    Tighten until the bolt breaks, then back off a 1/4 turn.
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage

14. #14 Re: 10 Days left 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner
    Guess I'll have to add some bolts to my spares collection for this year
    Jim Karlin
    Project Big Red Jeep
    96 ZJ, 4" inch lift (Claytons, Teraflex coils), 33" Kumho MT KL71s, Aussie in the rear
    A bunch of KOR stuff
    Taurus e-fan swap (DC Controls box)

GSW 2010 Pics

15. #15 Re: 10 Days left 
    Yep, I carry a big booty bag of bolts. Left over from lifts, projects, etc...if you break a bolt on the trail, it doesn't manner how many tools you have in your tool box.

16. #16 Re: 10 Days left 
    I'll see you guys Thursday.

Hunter
    04 4.7 HO limited
    04 4.7 HO Overland
    00 4.7 with no lift or mods (RIP)
    94 5.9 with lift and mods (sold)

17. #17 Re: 10 Days left 
    Member Grand Slam West Planner dads5.9's Avatar
    I'm really hoping to avoid the welding and grinding at midnight the night before I leave this year. I'm sure that my neighbors will appreciate that. I have a few things to finish up this weekend but it shouldn't be bad.
    '98 5.9L, Clayton LA on 35s

18. #18 Re: 10 Days left 
    Grand Slam West Planner

Quote Originally Posted by dads5.9 View Post
    I'm really hoping to avoid the welding and grinding at midnight the night before I leave this year. I'm sure that my neighbors will appreciate that. I have a few things to finish up this weekend but it shouldn't be bad.
    Verlan, you can wait a day and do it again in the Redstone parking lot.
    Last edited by Sandy R; 06-05-2007 at 11:33 PM.
    Sandy Reshes
    05 Rubicon

19. #19 Re: 10 Days left 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Mtn WJ's Avatar
    I need to replace my front brake lines and extend my rear sway bar links. I hope to get that done Monday after work at Daves house. My friggen garage is so full of crap I cant reach the welder.

Everything else is done.
    Ask not what your country can do for you; but what can you do for your country. JFK Jan 20th, 1961

TnT Customs Long Arms, 33" BFG KM2s, Magnum 9k winch, Ready Welder, Custom HP 30/30 front with ARB, Currie HP 9 rear with Detroit

20. #20 Re: 10 Days left 
    Quote Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
    I'll see you guys Thursday.

Hunter
    I know you're old, drive slow, and have a long ways to go, but you're leaving already?
    -Ryan

21. #21 Re: 10 Days left 
    Next week. BTW, I'm surprised the yatch club is letting you go. Isn't there a four popped collar minimum at your meetings?

Hunter
    04 4.7 HO limited
    04 4.7 HO Overland
    00 4.7 with no lift or mods (RIP)
    94 5.9 with lift and mods (sold)

22. #22 Re: 10 Days left 
    Member Grand Slam West Planner dads5.9's Avatar
    Sandy,

I still havn't cleaned up the redstone parking lot grinding and cutting that I did last year. My rocker panels are cut off and open at the back because they were grabbing the rear tires and cutting them up.

Keith, I hear you about the garage. I can still get to the welder but not much else. I have more stuff lost in my garage than most people own...
    '98 5.9L, Clayton LA on 35s

23. #23 Re: 10 Days left 
    I still need to change the oil, charge the A/C, clean the air filter, maybe swap out the power steering pump, and add a couple of KC's to the front if we are going to do some night wheelin. Rig is being trailered this year so I dont have to worry to much about being completely road worthy
    hp30, 8.8, long arms, chevy steering, 6" lift, 35 mtrs, 231, locked SOLD

24. #24 Re: 10 Days left 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter Colorado 5.9's Avatar
    I have a rear swaybar issue to solve.

Between picking it up SAt. & yesterday when I got the new 35's. We discovered that the swaybar shiffted to the drivers side. It put a nice 1/8" to 14" grove it the 33.

I ordered new 1.5" Perfornace Wheel & Tire spacers to gain a 1/4". I put them on tonight & the spacing is much better. I also put hose clamps on the swaybar so it won't shift anymore. It drove good on the street taking corners & did not shift or rub.

Howerver. I also raised the back up about an inch with the Acos spacers & while I had a one side jacked up to do it I checked the swaybar on the other side & it was touching the tire.

As far as I can see the bar will rub on both sides when one or the other tire is stuffed climbing stuff.

I don't know what else to do. I'll find out how bad it will be this Sat. where ever I go for a test run.

I guess I'll have to call Bob too & see what he says.
    98ZJ 5.9, 7" T&T's Long arm kit with belly pan,frame stiffeners,trusses front & rear. 35X12.50 16 BFG KM2's.4.56 Gears, Trail Ready Rear Bumper,Arbed HP D30 Aussie locked rear,ect.ect. Latest 5.9 Pics.

25. #25 Re: 10 Days left 
    I was all ready until a few weeks ago when we went and ran Hole in the Rock trail. One of my CJ buddy's had a problem with his fuel injection so i had to tow him out 25 miles back to the trucks. In the proccess I broke my rear locker and layed mine on its side. My list of things to do got much bigger and I was notified at work that I have to work this weekend. I guess it's crunch time. I just got my new Auburn Ected locker in and the new door glass. Still have to get it tinted to match the others but things are progressing. Everything should be ready by Wed of next week.

Name:  P5121854small.JPG
Views: 195
Size:  97.9 KB

Name:  P5121856small.JPG
Views: 190
Size:  100.0 KB

Name:  P5121858small.JPG
Views: 187
Size:  89.5 KB

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
Thread Information