Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

93 ZJ Robot - Page 4

Thread: 93 ZJ Robot

Page 4 of 28 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast
  1. #76 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Wow, those headlights are horrible

I was thinking of doing almost the same thing with the rockers except I was considering bolting through the original pinch weld into weld nuts on the sliders & only welding to the rocker material right below the doors so that it can be cut out easily later
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Knit up a yj beast

2. #77 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Well, at least I know my ZJ will stand out since I doubt anyone else in their right mind would try to duplicate my headlight setup For what it's worth, they are so ugly, I'm keeping it that way, too

I'm moreso curious than anything about how well this approach to rocker cutouts holds up without running supports to the unibody. Hopefully it turns out better than the headlights.

Not really related, but I couldn't help but to laugh about a post a few pages prior saying that I'm "done modding this ZJ". My mentality has recently changed to, "At least if I screw something up (like the headlight idea), I'm not messing up a nice rig and I can learn from my mistake." Since it still mechanically runs well (knock on wood), I can't really justify buying a nicer rig and beating on it.
    Quote Originally Posted by SB406
    I think that's your signature move.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

3. #78 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by SirFuego View Post
    My mentality has recently changed to, "At least if I screw something up (like the headlight idea), I'm not messing up a nice rig and I can learn from my mistake." Since it still mechanically runs well (knock on wood), I can't really justify buying a nicer rig and beating on it.
    I here ya', thats why my 93' started life as a $500 police abandonded vehicle

I knew I was gonna beat the hell outta it, so why spend any amount of money on a nice one
    Quote Originally Posted by OverkillZJ View Post
    Knit up a yj beast

4. #79 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    A little more progress. Capped up the front and back of the tubing. Painted everything. Used the rust-o-leum rattle can that can be applied directly over rust. This will eventually be bedlined once it gets welded to the rig, so I wasn't too concerned about the drips.

Probably won't get around to prepping or welding anything more until this weekend.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 11-14-2008 at 12:14 AM.
    "The Former"- Lay Jeep against obstacle in trail. Mat gas pedal. Form Jeep to the shape of obstacle.
    Robot

5. #80 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    I am a huge fan of your cheap Heep! Keep up the Redneck Garage!

6. #81 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Looking good man.

I won't make it to that Meet and Greet on the 19th, I've got to work till 5pm.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

7. #82 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Time for more laughter...

Here are the rockers.

Pre-powerwashing:

Still gotta trim a bit more...

And showing off some of the ugliest welds you will ever see. I was using flux core. I was trying to stitch weld to not burn through the sheetmetal. Still gotta work on getting a consistent bead size (amongst other things...). Burn through was in rusty areas. I was really close to cutting everything out, but there seem to be some good beads and penetration in there, so we'll see how it works out.

Now onto the passenger side. Mud was packed in there really good:

After sweeping up what seemed like 20 pounds of mud, it was time to take the ZJ for a power washing:

Not really sure what I'm going to do about the gap between the doors and rockers. I might just leave it there since any mud that collects in there can easily be cleaned.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 11-14-2008 at 12:14 AM.
    Robot

8. #83 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Forgot to mention -- that was 2x5 3/16" tubing I used (not 2x4 like I mistakenly put in an old post -- but I fixed the typo).
    Robot

9. #84 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    How else are those rockers attached? Are you running support arms to the unibody? Those "welds" will not support a styrofoam 2x5 tube, let alone 3/16" steel.
    Ban Cowboy63b Fan Club Member #1

10. #85 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    I know those welds suck. I am extremely close to cutting them out, grinding them down and doing it again -- but I am going to do more practicing and do the passenger side before I re-do the driver's side.

So assuming the welds are done properly, would you think I would need bracing to the unibody? My logic is "no" because the A and B pillars provide the support for upward forces (coming down on rocks). The body provides the support for the lateral forces. Please correct me if I am wrong in this regard since I was looking for input on this earlier.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-18-2008 at 04:49 PM.
    Robot

11. #86 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    IMO, I would take supports into the unibody for any sort of rock slider.

12. #87 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Brace it to the unibody.
    You'll fuck up them pillars if you don't.
    Anthony

13. #88 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    technically the pillars and body will take the load applied to the rockers, but you dont even have enough weld there to hold the steel onto the truck, that inner rocker is measly 16 Ga at most (probably more like 20 Ga) and will rip right out

the shock from hitting a rock will rip off your rockers in no time

brace it to the unibody before you rip them off to save more work down the road.

14. #89 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    there is a reason why all commercially available rockers are braced up to the unibody frame rails... I'm with these guys, I think that is going to get ripped out

15. #90 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by CANADIAN ZJ! View Post
    technically the pillars and body will take the load applied to the rockers, but you dont even have enough weld there to hold the steel onto the truck, that inner rocker is measly 16 Ga at most (probably more like 20 Ga) and will rip right out

the shock from hitting a rock will rip off your rockers in no time

brace it to the unibody before you rip them off to save more work down the road.
    Thanks. That explanation makes sense. Are you saying that it "could" work if the welds are cutout and done "properly"? Or are you saying that even if it has "perfect" welds it won't work because the pillar metal is just too thin for the welds to be strong enough?

Regardless, I'll be getting Clayton's shortly, so the plan is to run angle supports from the clayton's frame for boat sides. I think the idea is sorta like what Tony posted about a few weeks ago. I'll talk to the shop about this where I'll be getting the welding/install done for the long arms. I'm planning to get an 8.8 in the rear.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-20-2008 at 07:30 PM.
    Robot

16. #91 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    although your welds aren't perfect, with that thin of metal it's very hard to weld at all, let alone to a thicker metal. You melt away the thin shit before the thicker rocker even gets hot.

bracing to the claytons sounds like a good idea. but be prepared for minimal abuse to knock those welds right off easily.

17. #92 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    your not planning on welding your clayton shit up yourself are you?
    95 Rubicon ZJ-60/14b-40" LTBs on 17" ORO beadlocks-full hydro
    Uber one Ton ZJ Tech
    PSC Full Hydro Tech for ZJ
    Crawler Ready Motor Mount Install

18. #93 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by zj95maxx View Post
    your not planning on welding your clayton shit up yourself are you?
    I'll talk to the shop about this where I'll be getting the welding/install done for the long arms.
    In other words, hell no. My buddy has already put a clayton's kit on his XJ and has a really good welder -- and a shit ton more experience than me. Only other welding I plan on doing myself is fixing the holes in the floorboards.
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-22-2008 at 12:17 AM.
    Robot

19. #94 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Latest mod to push my front axle forward a couple inches. Thinking about doing it to the driver's side...
    Last edited by SirFuego; 11-14-2008 at 12:15 AM.
    Robot

20. #95 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    nice, what happened? Oh and you need to check out dirks build. He had a non rusted jeep, put in some rocker cutout sliders with good welds, and bashed them up into his doors first trip out of i remember right.
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

21. #96 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    NICE!

Guess Clayton's is happening sooner.
    Anthony

22. #97 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Quote Originally Posted by AgitatedPancake View Post
    nice, what happened? Oh and you need to check out dirks build. He had a non rusted jeep, put in some rocker cutout sliders with good welds, and bashed them up into his doors first trip out of i remember right.
    There was a rock ledge Matt said that he did with his ZJ back when it was on 31s -- in the summer. My buddy with a TJ on 35s had tried it many times before and made it only once. So naturally, I tried it. It was too icy to really get anywhere with it, though. As I was backing down, I heard my front passenger tire rubbing on my inner fender and immediately heard someone yell "STOP!". That's when we noticed it. I have no idea when it actually happened though. We kept hearing weird noises coming from that side all day, but just assumed it was some ice stuck in there. Everytime we looked at it nothing was (or at least looked) wrong. I would be hardpressed to believe though that the control arm was like that for most of the day -- maybe cracked, but definitely not being held on only by the top sheetmetal. I have a couple stock control arms sitting in my garage, so I'm going to run those until Clayton's goes on.

I didn't really get a chance to "test" the rockers this weekend. I started to do a rock garden, but it was too slippery to get enough traction and I was already at a ground clearance disadvantage. So I decided to bitch out so we didn't hold the group up since no one else was going to try it. In retrospect, I'm sorta glad I didn't do it, because it could have been a huge problem if the LCA gave out in that rock garden...

I remember Dirk's issues with the rockers. That was part of the reason I decided to weld to the A and B pillars, but I will add supports. Last Thursday evening, I was going to take my ZJ to the shop so we can spec out the metal for a front bumper, rear bumper, and supports from the rockers to Clayton's "frame". But then I got a call from a friend that him and his roomate were stuck and I needed to go pull them out. I'll be heading back there once I get new lowers on the front (the driver's side control arm is in pretty bad condition, too).

The moral of the story -- I've beaten the piss out of my ZJ with stock control arms. If anyone plans to do the same, spend the money on stronger control arms...
    Last edited by SirFuego; 01-28-2008 at 10:31 PM.
    Robot

23. #98 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    I figured these would give some people a laugh. All doors still open, so I guess it's not THAT bad. Click for bigger pics...

I think I need a tetanus shot now, holy fuck! Well its just metal right? Nice to see you wheeling it

RockZJ

24. #99 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    Replaced the front control arms tonight with some spare used stock ones from a street-only driven ZJ. They were supplied to me a couple months ago by MallCrawlin's beloved rockhardmj. It was dumb for me to have not replaced these a while ago...

Here is what the old ones looked like (click to make bigger)...

The passenger side LCA:

The driver's side LCA wasn't in much better condition:

The ZJ almost drives like a Cadillac now...
    Last edited by SirFuego; 11-14-2008 at 12:16 AM.
    Robot

25. #100 Re: My Hand-me-down ZJ 
    holy goodness man. that shit if f'ed up
    97 V8 zj.
    35"KM2s.aussies,4.88s,full chromos,1 ton hi steer in the 44/8.8.KOR/Clayton longarms.
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum//sh...ad.php?t=17603

03 Cobra with horsepowers

Thread Information