Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Stock Rock'her

Thread: Stock Rock'her

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. #1 Stock Rock'her 
    I'm kinda new to the ZJ stuff but I have an ok built XJ

I just picked up a ZJ last week.

Lemme kinda outline my goals with this.
    I'm building a daily driver/ expedition rig that can tow some small trailers for my wife so I can quit DD'ing my XJ and drive the car

specs now:
    94' 5.2l V8 ZJ Laredo
    3.73 gears
    249 t-case
    ABS
    front LP 30 w/ stupid cv shafts
    rear LD d35 w/ drums
    30" tires

I have some 2" pucks for the front and I'll likely throw some stock XJ coils in the rear to level it out.

OR

I have a line on a 3" Skyjacker kit

I'll likely keep the 3.73 gears and step up to 31-32"s when I find a cheap set.

I hate d35's, even with discs I have no confidence in even DD'ing that axle with a v8 in front of it.

An 8.8 seems like the logical swap: stronger, same lug pattern, 3.73 gears, discs, etc...

My questions are these:

1.) Newbie question: I assume I'll be ok with stock trackbars, control arms and no t-case drop with a 2" lift?

2.) What's the story on the 249?
    Crap? OK for nearly stock?
    (Again this is for my wife and keeping the option for AWD would be a plus)
    Should I ditch it and get a 242?

if I swap in an 8.8,
    3A.) Is the ABS worth keeping?
    (remember this is Utah... it snows a lot, I've never had need for it myself but I am not my wife)

3B.) And if so what are my options on keeping ABS if I swap in a Ford 8.8?

I read all of these threads
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sea...earchid=112059

and this is the most I could find on the matter
    Quote Originally Posted by Mtn WJ View Post
    8/29/05 Since the ZJ is really a 3 channel ABS system you have two options for ABS.

The ABS tone ring on the 8.8 is on the ring gear and has 108 teeth. The ZJ D35 has tone rings on both axle shafts just inside the hub. To use the explorer tone ring you will need to wire both sensors to the Ford Sensor and file every other tooth off of the Ford tone ring.

The other idea is what Tom Z came up with. In my opinion the best one. You will need to file the very outer edge of the 8.8 housing to be flush with the seal. Then have the center of the ZJ tone rings machined to match the diameter of the 8.8 axle and have it pressed on the shaft. Keep in mind the tone ring is concave and you will need to have the concave portion pointed towards the differential to allow the most clearance for the ring to fit. Then drill a hole into the backing plate to mount the sensors.

I suggest getting an 8.8 with discs on it already. I have seen 8.8's with discs range from 350-600 bucks depending on number of miles and where you buy it.
    4.) Will this work? has anyone done it with decent results?
    Last edited by Gravesdigger; 11-15-2008 at 10:40 PM.

2. #2 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    I'm going to try to keep a tab on costs

now for the pics:

This is my third Cherokee
    Here's your generic, run of the mill, stock, Grand

I'm pretty stoked on the V8

Grabbed a new battery for her (warranty) $19.89
    And got a new front fender $50

yanked the front axle to see what's up

This isn't right

remnants of a front bumpstop

new one was $free$

one of these things is not like the other...

new one was $free$

hmm that's bad

time to polish the turdy on the cheap...

bent

chopped off

Fixed (rugged ridge replacement $52/two)

Homemade LCA skids ($free$)

(American muscle needs some diamond plate )

3. #3 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    well I found what I wanted

http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...8.8+abs&page=3

Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    11/8/06
    hey guys I got something more to add you can keep ABS with the 8.8!
    the Jeep system is 4 sensor but is still 3 hydraulic (front L&R and ONE rear)

I have done it myself on my brothers 90XJ with a 8.8 and the ABS does still work and will do it again on my ZJ. I was going to go the route of the tone rings on each wheel (like Z did) but that is a pain and costly once you get bushings for the 8.8 shafts since the OD area on the 8.8 shafts is smaller in that spot than the d35.

how I KEPT the ABS working on his XJ and will do the same on my ZJ:
    my ZJ tone rings are 54 tooth per side and the 8.8 has 108 teeth on the ring gear 54x2=108!
    his 90 XJ tone rings are 51 tooth but we decided to try it this way anyway. and later found out that the sensor does not count the teeth but just either sees a tooth or not.

I took the angle grinder and ground down EVERY OTHER TOOTH on the 8.8 ring gear tone ring making it 54 teeth.
    We then wired both the Jeep rear sensors together left and right reds together and the ford sensor red all together and then if I remember correctly the left and right Jeep wires were yellow and wire those to the other ford sensor wire.
    finished the install and bleed the brakes, then took it for a spin. the ABS light came on at startup like usual and then went off like usual! and didnt come back on as if there was a problem. I then slammed on the brakes and YES the ABS was STILL WORKING without the ABS light comming on! and it has worked perfectly since we finished the install 2 weeks ago and the 8.8 with disks is a real nice upgrade in braking. The 8.8 was installed b/c with his stroker it blew up the D35 (broken spider gears, chewed ring and pinion, bent the cross-shaft and more)

as far as I know I'm the first to be able to CONFIRM that this way works for sure. at least it did on his Bendix ABS brake system. I will later do this again on my ZJ when I find the right 8.8 with 4.10's in the yards.

I can't wait to get it running in my ZJ but I have not found a 8.8 with 4.10's in the cheap yards near me where I can get it COMPLETE for about $100 in great shape too. I figure since I'm doing the work myself I might be able to pull off the whole swap under $300 for sure, but it's the little things that can add up quick.....

here is a SUPER TECHNICAL wiring diagram I just made up for those that like pictures=)

Keep in mind I also ground off every other tooth on the 8.8 tone ring to equal 54 teeth. And this for sure works on a 90 XJ ABS system, and will test is out on my ZJ hopefully soon
    Quote Originally Posted by DJJordache View Post
    2/11/07
    ok another bump since I got my 8.8 in yesterday but I didn't have much time to test it out since with my luck the one I got had a bad pinion bearing that is making a ton of noise and since it is sunday the ford dealer is not open so I can get another crush sleeve...... but anyways!
    I did it again and the ABS does still work on my ZJ and since pics are worth 1000 words check these out:
    SUPER TECHNICAL DIAGRAM V2.0

and here are some pics of how to cut the tone ring to make it 54 teeth:

The braking upgrade alone was sweet! and I did not even mod the prop valve and the braking is much much better than stock.

now if I can just fix this stupid pinion bearing vib I'll be all good and I am looking forward to being able to use the 4wd

hmmm now I need some D60's
    Last edited by Gravesdigger; 11-10-2008 at 07:35 PM.

4. #4 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    more 30 polishing
    LCA skid, and knuckle gusset

LCA skid, boxed ps uca mount, knuckle gusset, and welded a big washer on the notorious trackbar bracket mount
    Last edited by Gravesdigger; 11-11-2008 at 01:10 PM.

5. #5 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Being a professional turd polisher myself, might I suggest you polish up some new CVs? Better yet start scrounging for some u-joint ones, lol. Looking good though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    I have a year round cougar permit. Cougars are always in season.
    '93/6"-Custom 3link & Tri-4link Long Arm/4.6L Stroker/AW4/np231/HP30/D44/Detrioted-4.88s/35s/murdered out wood grain playa...

6. #6 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    I did my 8.8 swap a few months back and made the 8.8 work with ABS also, just use that diagram and its pretty self explanitory. P.S be careful when your cutting the jacket insulation off the stock abs, I managed to give myself a pretty good slice

7. #7 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    i hate my abs, Alota Bull Shit, seems to kick in right when i dont want it to. Michigan roads suck so its quite offten, hit a rythem section when you are tring to stop and almost go through the intersection
    96 ZJ, Black, 5.2, Auto, 242 Swap, D30 D44a, 3.5 inch lift and 2 inch poly boost 5.5 inches total lift, 33/12.5/15 BFG MTs on Chrome steelies

8. #8 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Hey Stratton... You've been holding out on us after the teasers.

Nice find...

I think you'll be happy with it, ditch the CV axles for U joint ones, and swap that 249 out for a 242.

I'm thinking when I do my control arms to make some skids too for the lowers. (Now that the yella heep is out of my hair...)
    Last edited by zjrog; 11-12-2008 at 02:33 AM.
    1995 ZJ Laredo 4x4 Upcountry package
    1990 XJ Special PIA edition
    1990 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.3
    2002 Ford Supercrew 4x2 5.4
    2003 Dodge Neon SE "Half-a-Hemi"

9. #9 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    SWEET a newb that knows how to use the search!
    it is easy enough to keep the ABS so go ahead and do it and you can throw a switch on there to turn it off when you want to.
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

10. #10 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    If your worried about the abs cant you just unhook it on the axle side? Or pull the fuse?

11. #11 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Quote Originally Posted by Gravesdigger View Post
    I'll likely keep the 3.73 gears and step up to 31-32"s when I find a cheap set.
    I've got a set of 32x11.5x15 BFG ATs with about 5k on the runners, and a spare worthy spare, mounted on five aluminum five star wheels for sale.
    the smaller tire in this pic:

I'm pretty much local to you, and I can probably meet your definition of cheap. PM me if interested.
    "Dood, you were a vampire driving a K5 Blazer. And that's the LEAST weird part of the entire story."
    -J B

12. #12 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Nothing really to report, I got the front axle back under it and tires back on last night hoping to drive it, but three stupid things foiled my plans...

1.) discovered it has one broken shock that wont fully extend.

2.) I also built a little cheapo diff cover armor

but........ all my RTV is dried up...

3.) Had my first run in with the factory Alarm...
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=17888

Hopefully I can sort those 3 things out, give it a driveway alignment and drive it tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
    Hey Stratton... You've been holding out on us after the teasers.
    That's 'cause that board is just for chit chat and....
    Scott is a turd burglar

Nice find...

I think you'll be happy with it, ditch the CV axles for U joint ones, and swap that 249 out for a 242.
    Thanks guys

I have my eyes peeled for some ABS u-joint shafts at the junkyards, I didn't see any last week

13. #13 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    all ABS D30 shafts have the larger 297X ujoints vs the nonabs/older 260X. Be careful that some 89-90 XJ D30's have a real high number of teeth on their ABS tone rings and are different from the 54 tooth one you would need
    93' ZJ 4.7L STROKER, Clayton LONGARMS, 4wd conversion, 231 SYE, HPD30, 8.8, BFG 35's, 2000 manifold & injectors, Hesco fpr, Port & polish, LS1 valves, WJ Steering/brakes, KOR SliderZ & steering box brace, Clayton TB bracket and my custom trackbar, Crane ignition, B&M cooler, Tom Woods, etc....
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    We're all insane here...

14. #14 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    well I got everything sorted out this morning and drove it to work!
    super excited because I had only driven it a block before I bought it.

I'm loving the V8 power, great seats! overhead console and auto headlights are pretty cool. It's going to take me a few days to figure out all the gadgets but I'm loving it.

the steering is a little heavier than a part time case because of the 249 but way better than my XJ on 35's lol

Thanks DJ, I'll keeping my eye out at the JY's for u-joint abs shafts, looked at 30+ XJ's and ZJ's last week and nada...
    Last edited by Gravesdigger; 11-14-2008 at 01:44 PM.

15. #15 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    wife is now dd'ing it. She loves it.

I'll get some shots of the new fender I put on over the weekend.
    I also rewired the Alternator with some lower gauge (bigger) wire.

easiest alternator removal evar!
    Changed the oil.

I need to figure out why the hood latch won't stay shut.

and bend the dust shields so they don't touch the rotors.
    realign it again. And change all of the fluids.

I also picked up roof rack cross beams and a set of leather seats from a later model limited that I'll install when I have a chance.
    Last edited by Gravesdigger; 11-21-2008 at 12:52 PM.

16. #16 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Ditch the dust shields entirely. If you do the slightest amount of mud or clay those things get packed full.
    1998 5.9, 5.5" Front/ 4.5" Rear (RE), 33/12.50's Trxus MT's, ARB Bumper w/Warn 9500HS, 231HD...SOLD...Stupid Divorce!!

Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    start giving teachers guns... or tazers.... or clubs or just a 2x4 with a nail in it

17. #17 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    new fender

still need to reattach the inner fender

Quote Originally Posted by 2jeepsforus View Post
    Ditch the dust shields entirely. If you do the slightest amount of mud or clay those things get packed full.
    Utah: we're not down with the mud

18. #18 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Towing the new project home, guess what it is?

19. #19 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    That is a heavy trailer...
    1995 ZJ Laredo 4x4 Upcountry package
    1990 XJ Special PIA edition
    1990 Ford Ranger 4x4 2.3
    2002 Ford Supercrew 4x2 5.4
    2003 Dodge Neon SE "Half-a-Hemi"

20. #20 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Uhm, UT Route 24? Near Hanksville?

21. #21 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    VW???

Towing the new project home, guess what it is?

22. #22 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Quote Originally Posted by CSR View Post
    VW???
    yup

23. #23 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Quote Originally Posted by zjrog View Post
    That is a heavy trailer...
    Yup,
    also that was with the 2" boost in front and no lift on the rear.

ZJ is pretty much done, survived a cross country trip full of stuff so unless I feel like buggying it that's all folks

24. #24 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    [quote=Gravesdigger;220859]I'm loving the V8 power, great seats! overhead console and auto headlights are pretty cool. It's going to take me a few days to figure out all the gadgets but I'm loving it.

quote]
    all that stuff is nice until it all goes to crap lol then its a huge headache chasing electrical wires everywhere .. if you werent bald before you will be now.
    "Say fuck you to Mother Nature, and kick her in the face! "
    94 Limited- 4.5" ghetto lift, Ghetto 33x12.50 Mud Kings, Ghetto wheels, Crappy stickers, some dents, custom front bumper(too be mounted), Kevins rad. support.
    Looking for 1980s VW Rabbit truck

25. #25 Re: Stock Rock'her 
    Oh so I never updated this build... the girl I built this for is now my exwife (2 years ago)
    ZJ is pretty much done, survived a cross country trip full of stuff so unless I feel like buggying it that's all folks
    the trip full of stuff... was her stuff she took with her... in the ZJ.

I don't miss her at all... but man I miss that Jeep

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Thread Information