Thread: cutting brake?

1. #1 cutting brake? 
    so i was mowing the grass today (rotary mower behind a tractor) and when turning tight turns to do another pass i press the right brake pedal to lock the right wheel and turn super tight, which got me thinking, i wonder if anyone has done this to offroad trucks, sure enough alot of the pro rock crawlers do, so has anyone done it with a zj? or have any information on it, do you think i could retrofit a 2nd ebrake handle to the parking brakes and instead of having both brake cables goto one and into the zj have two handles to be able use it as a cutting brake?
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

2. #2 Re: cutting brake? 
    YES
    5.9 ZJ With stuff attached
    It's true that I'm old enough to have been there done that.....it doesn't make me an expert...it just gives me an educated opinion.

3. #3 Re: cutting brake? 
    The Oil Dude MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    Actually in the latest issue of Petersons 4 wheel drive magazine there is a big article on cutting brakes and they did talk about a 2nd E-brake handle and splitting the e-brakes between the 2 handles.
    Your #1 Source for Amsoil Lubricants

Lube it or Loose it!

4. #4 Re: cutting brake? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
    Actually in the latest issue of Petersons 4 wheel drive magazine there is a big article on cutting brakes and they did talk about a 2nd E-brake handle and splitting the e-brakes between the 2 handles.

actually just picked it up on the way home from work, thoes hydro ones would be nice. they also have a nice article about zj in it, so does jp mag
    This person should be taken as seriously as a heart attack while piloting a zeppelin over a bacon factory, which is the most serious of heart attacks, because if that zeppelin crashes into that bacon factory all of us will be without bacon and that simply will not do.

5. #5 Re: cutting brake? 
    I would rather have front and rear brake options, I have a Dana 300 transfercase I am gonna flip and twinstick so I can do front or rear burns, I already have a linelock for the rear, I am considering doing one for the front then I can lock either end and then I can do the burn, then just tap the brake and it will release and go. The problem I see with cutting brakes is if you have a full time locker, you will be putting alot of sress on the brakes if they will even hold or you could be busting brake mounts or backing plates on the axle, If you have an air locker it would not be a problem as you could release it first and then just the free side would turn, things to think about is all

6. #6 Re: cutting brake? 
    Staff
    That is very true. The Websters have their Red Bull Buggy cutting brakes tied in with the Lovell transfercase so that Becca engages the cutting brake on the drivers front wheel the TC shifts so that it is only sending power to the rear wheel, they also have ARB's that are tied in as well so they engage/disengage as needed.

It really is pretty slick. Point is you can set the cutting brakes up almost ANY way you want to so that they work for your application.

Lube it or Loose it!

7. #7 Re: cutting brake? 
    That is true, just wanted to make sure folks realized all the variables involved when setting something up, planning is the hardest part of the whole thing

8. #8 Re: cutting brake? 
    Staff
    Quote Originally Posted by Fullsizexj View Post
    planning is the hardest part of the whole thing
    Very very true.

Lube it or Loose it!

9. #9 Re: cutting brake? 
    I would rather have front and rear brake options, I have a Dana 300 transfercase I am gonna flip and twinstick so I can do front or rear burns, I already have a linelock for the rear, I am considering doing one for the front then I can lock either end and then I can do the burn, then just tap the brake and it will release and go. The problem I see with cutting brakes is if you have a full time locker, you will be putting alot of sress on the brakes if they will even hold or you could be busting brake mounts or backing plates on the axle, If you have an air locker it would not be a problem as you could release it first and then just the free side would turn, things to think about is all

whats a front burn?
    also if you disengauge the front or rear driveshaft and apply the parking brake you would be able to get the same effect as having a rear brake, which is what it is basicly. i dont see how a front only brake would be useful? i also have ARB lockers so im well aware of how it would put stress on a full time locker
    Last edited by canadian_driver; 05-24-2007 at 04:52 PM.

10. #10 Re: cutting brake? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Cue-Ball View Post
    That is very true. The Websters have their Red Bull Buggy cutting brakes tied in with the Lovell transfercase so that Becca engages the cutting brake on the drivers front wheel the TC shifts so that it is only sending power to the rear wheel, they also have ARB's that are tied in as well so they engage/disengage as needed.

It really is pretty slick. Point is you can set the cutting brakes up almost ANY way you want to so that they work for your application.
    Yep. The cutting brake is generally applied to only one wheel, so that you can pivot around that wheel. Obviously, if the axle is locked, you can't isolate a single wheel, so a great deal of flexibility has to be planned into the system.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

11. #11 Re: cutting brake? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    Locker both rears and doing a front dig if you have twin sticks is a very similar effect.

12. #12 Re: cutting brake? 
    Quote Originally Posted by canadian_driver View Post
    whats a front burn?
    also if you disengauge the front or rear driveshaft and apply the parking brake you would be able to get the same effect as having a rear brake, which is what it is basicly. i dont see how a front only brake would be useful? i also have ARB lockers so im well aware of how it would put stress on a full time locker
    A front burn is when you lock the rear brakes and disengage the rear axle, this allows you to pull the front left or right as needed, same goes for a rear burn which is usefull if you are on an off camber area and want to get pointed back uphill, it allows you to slide the rear back around to point back uphill again

13. #13 Re: cutting brake? 
    A front burn is when you lock the rear brakes and disengage the rear axle, this allows you to pull the front left or right as needed, same goes for a rear burn which is usefull if you are on an off camber area and want to get pointed back uphill, it allows you to slide the rear back around to point back uphill again

so its the same as a front dig, thought u ment like burn outs, lol

14. #14 Re: cutting brake? 
    ^dude, quit reviving dead threads and spamming our forum.

Can he get the banhammer please?

Quote Originally Posted by Derek33
    Its a jeep, it doesn't have to make sense.

15. #15 Re: cutting brake? 
    Pinch Yo Sack Pimp MallCrawlin Vendor
    Staff
    If you have an arb in the rear you can disengage it so it's like an open dif. Then lock only one side. And the other rear wheel (that isn't locked) helps the vehicle turn. 3 wheel drive. It's actually more effective for turning then lOcking the rear axle and just powering te front axle
    EPIC POLYMER RACING
    Toyo Tires Offroad Race Team | EMF Rod Ends | Big Country Customs | Mulitia Muffler | VancouverWaterjet.com | Epic Polymer
    EPIC POLYMER RACING ULTRA 4 Buggy Build WJ Grand Cherokee

16. #16 Re: cutting brake? 
    Quote Originally Posted by Kraqa View Post
    If you have an arb in the rear you can disengage it so it's like an open dif. Then lock only one side. And the other rear wheel (that isn't locked) helps the vehicle turn. 3 wheel drive. It's actually more effective for turning then lOcking the rear axle and just powering te front axle
    Plus, due to the spider gears, that 3rd wheel is spinning twice as fast, helping even more.

Thread Information