Thread: "1 ton" pitman question

1. #1 "1 ton" pitman question 
    So I've been doing LOTS of research into the "1 ton" steering upgrade. Ive found the tapered inserts to fit the new TRE's. Can I drill out the pitman arm and use a tapered insert on it, or is this a bad idea?
    Chris- 97 ZJ, 4.0, some lift, black tires and some Autozone valve caps.

2. #2 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Why not just ream it?
    1998 ZJ

3. #3 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    You don't need the inserts for the D30 knuckles because your starting ID is smaller than your finished ID.

Ream the knuckles, pitman and the inverted t TRE.

Where did you find the adapter inserts though? I need them for my D60 tierod flip.

4. #4 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    I would ream it. It's not hard at all to do, but finding the correct reamer might be a challenge. Snap On makes one that works, but it's kind of a crappy one with straight flutes and it doesn't stay sharp very long at all....one w/ spiral flutes would work better I think.
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

5. #5 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    I used these inserts for the knuckles.

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

I took the pitman arm and the 1 Ton TRE to a machine shop and said, "CNC to fit." $10
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

6. #6 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Quote Originally Posted by chadjans View Post
    You don't need the inserts for the D30 knuckles because your starting ID is smaller than your finished ID.

Ream the knuckles, pitman and the inverted t TRE.

Where did you find the adapter inserts though? I need them for my D60 tierod flip.
    Like John said, Goferit was one, Nates brother was another and then there is these too http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-134...ana_44_60.html

7. #7 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Quote Originally Posted by MyNameIsJerry View Post
    Why not just ream it?
    I was trying to get away with not buying the reamer, but I might as well just drop the cash and get one.

8. #8 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Quote Originally Posted by Krash80 View Post
    I would ream it. It's not hard at all to do, but finding the correct reamer might be a challenge. Snap On makes one that works, but it's kind of a crappy one with straight flutes and it doesn't stay sharp very long at all....one w/ spiral flutes would work better I think.
    Ive been looking all over for a spiral reamer and had no luck, the straight flutes are all I can find in 1.5" per foot. The local machine shop didnt even have a 1.5" per ft reamer, that would of saved me some money in the long run. Oh well.

9. #9 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Quote Originally Posted by corrupt143 View Post
    I was trying to get away with not buying the reamer, but I might as well just drop the cash and get one.
    Word.
    1998 ZJ

10. #10 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Ive been looking all over for a spiral reamer and had no luck, the straight flutes are all I can find in 1.5" per foot. The local machine shop didnt even have a 1.5" per ft reamer, that would of saved me some money in the long run. Oh well.

I looked all over too for the same one (1.5"/ft) with no luck...I bet a big supplier like MSC might have one though. The Snap-On one was around 50$ IIRC...and like I said, I wasn't impressed with it at all (and I know how to use a reamer properly).

The thing that pissed me off was that I carelessly reamed my 44 knuckles too deep so I had to drill them out straight and make a set of inserts on the lathe anyway.
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

11. #11 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Quote Originally Posted by JohnBoulderCO View Post
    I used these inserts for the knuckles.

http://www.goferitoffroad.com/products.htm

I took the pitman arm and the 1 Ton TRE to a machine shop and said, "CNC to fit." $10
    But the ID is for stock ends. Is the taper 1.5" / ft though?

12. #12 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Like John said, Goferit was one, Nates brother was another and then there is these too http://completeoffroad.com/wsm/i-134...ana_44_60.html
    So you drop these in the OE hole and it phases the taper 180*?

Chad

13. #13 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    I like using a reamer better than the inserts anyway personally.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

14. #14 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    I can't remember where I bought mine. It was actually one of the 4x4 shops online like Complete Off Road or something like that. I remember they were big into Blazer parts.

It's not a spiral one, but it does have the correct taper. I used it just fine in my drill press with plenty of cutting oil and caused no damage to it.

I gave it to my brother after I was done with it, but I can ask him to get a part # off it for you guys.

I looked all over too for the same one (1.5"/ft) with no luck...I bet a big supplier like MSC might have one though. The Snap-On one was around 50$ IIRC...and like I said, I wasn't impressed with it at all (and I know how to use a reamer properly).

The thing that pissed me off was that I carelessly reamed my 44 knuckles too deep so I had to drill them out straight and make a set of inserts on the lathe anyway.
    Last edited by nate; 04-24-2007 at 08:54 AM.
    03 Subaru WRX
    98 Dodge Ram 2500 CTD
    98 Jeep ZJ
    95 Dodge Ram 3500 CTD

15. #15 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 

Well heres what I ended up finding. Alvord-Polk Tool primarily makes reamers. Its an automotive reamer with spiral flutes and 1.5"/ft taper.

www.alvordpolk.com go to product search and its 5 digit part # is 74301. MSC is a distributor and its $60. Its got to be better than the snap-on one, I HOPE!
    Last edited by corrupt143; 04-24-2007 at 04:31 PM.

16. #16 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Quote Originally Posted by nate View Post
    I used it just fine in my drill press with plenty of cutting oil and caused no damage to it.
    I think that's where some people are causing damage to the tool and having not last past a few uses. Some people are just chucking the reamer in a hand drill and going to town.

A reamer is a precision tool. It's meant to be used in a mill, which is very rigid, and the workpiece can be adequately secured. A drill press would be a decent substitute. But using one in a hand drill is certainly not ideal.

Also, the reamer isn't meant to remove large amounts of material, it's meant to fine tune a hole to a very specific size.

Just food for thought.
    Fortunately, we're not getting nearly as much government control as we're paying for.

17. #17 Re: "1 ton" pitman question 
    Quote Originally Posted by J B View Post
    I think that's where some people are causing damage to the tool and having not last past a few uses. Some people are just chucking the reamer in a hand drill and going to town.

A reamer is a precision tool. It's meant to be used in a mill, which is very rigid, and the workpiece can be adequately secured. A drill press would be a decent substitute. But using one in a hand drill is certainly not ideal.

Also, the reamer isn't meant to remove large amounts of material, it's meant to fine tune a hole to a very specific size.

Just food for thought.
    It's not that bad. If you know how you can use hand drill and it will be just fine. Key points are:
    a) cutting oil
    b) low speed
    c) even lower pressure

Treat the reamer almost like a sand paper and it will do it's job and stay for long.

Thread Information