Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958

Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
Fuel Evap Canister

Thread: Fuel Evap Canister

1. #1 Fuel Evap Canister 
    Well I have no Fuel Evap Canister (charcoal can), the hoses are connected together, runs ok, I suspect it could be causing some of my idle heartach but i'm wondering if any one has pics or how they relocated their evap canister, or used a smaller one, just curious as the jeep is going into the shop tomorrow and i'm afraid they are gonna try and put one in.

Any thoughts?

2. #2 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    search charcoal canister...I've seen pics/details on here about turning it 90degress or even moving up under the hood

3. #3 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    I'm actually going to work on relocating mine tomorrow. The location I have scoped out is in the front of the drivers wheel well. under the airbox location. My plan is to turn it on it's side. If I get it finished tomorrow I'll take some pics.

4. #4 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Rawr Lifetime Supporter jfowlzj95's Avatar
    Just used 3 zipties to tie it down.

Jon

95 ZJ, it gone.
    07 Cummins Fire Truck, it tow.
    76 J-10, 'Heep' Jeep.
    06 Boobicon, it wheel.

5. #5 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Entry #107
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/sho...?t=8513&page=5

Thanks Steve.

I just took mine out and left the 2 hoses hanging. I just took the vent tube out also. When I had the lines hooked together, I had high pressure in my gas tank. I knew because when I took off the gas cap it hissed at me for about 15 seconds. Kinda scared me the first time I went to put gas in. LOL
    Chris- 97 ZJ, 4.0, some lift, black tires and some Autozone valve caps.

6. #6 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Is it gravity fed? If not, I'll pull it up into the engine compartment, just didn't know.
    '98 ZJ 4.0 | 4.5"| the usual goodies
    '08 F-350 6.8 | the tow rig
    http://zjguy721.fototime.com/MyPictures
    http://www.glfwda.org
    http://www.greatlakes4x4.com

7. #7 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Well I still have the stock air box and all that, I dont think the evap canister will fit where you have put yours an I really dont want to spend any more money on this damn thing as I have spent over 1000 in the past 2 weeks.

I was wondering if there was a smaller canister for another vehicle that I could find that would work in the same application? I have been having some ideling problems in the past 2 weeks and the jeep is in the shop as we speak and I have a feeling they are gonna try and sell me a new can.

Thoughts?

8. #8 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    My avatar isn't animated Lifetime Supporter SirFuego's Avatar
    Well, if it makes you feel any better I cracked my evap
    canister a few weeks back and have had no adverse effects from it being cracked.

9. #9 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I ran with mine cracked for 3 years, then removed it and connected the lines. This year I removed the evap pump and plugged the lines, no adverse effects yet. I have a stalling problem, but that's related to the fact I've flopped it 3 times since I tuned it up (intake should be all gunked up.)

10. #10 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    I did a search on Evap Canister yesterday and there was some very informative information found on this websight, much appreciated! I'm just concerned with what Jeep will say, I have a feeling they'll call and say well you are idling funny because you have no evap canister. . . or some bullshit like that.

11. #11 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    If you're still at the point where you take it to a dealership, I wouldn't remove it.

But... why take it to a dealership?

12. #12 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    My frustration level has reached its peak, i'll just throw money at it and let a professional take care or it. We are going to Moab for EJS and I want no problems.

Jeep called a little while ago, they want to charge me 190.00 to clean the fuel injectors, 90 to update the firmware in the computer, and 390.00 to replace the IAC.

Well fuck that, I have a new IAC at the house, I guess it really was bad after I spent a few hours cleaning the IAC as well as the housing, so i'll just pop the new one in, and thats that.

As for the evap deal, they said nothing, i'm not overly concerned about it, but I would like to have something there, so if any one has used a smaller version of what is normally in there, suggestions are appreciated!

13. #13 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    I removed mine and used a tee to hook the 3 hoses up.
    Truck ran fine.
    Anthony

96 Talon TSI AWD - Hey, at least it has a transfer case.
    03 Chevy Tracker - I hate IFS!

14. #14 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    when i busted mine it was fine when it was cracked but when i broke it open in tellico you could smell the gas fumes coming from even more so when going down the highway. At one point i couldn't get any faster then 50 mph on the high way. I would floor it ind loose forward momentum. I pulled off the highway duck taped it shut and ran like a top.

After getting home
    I took out the vent line and put the vacume lines together no problems or codes.

15. #15 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Quote Originally Posted by MUDDTRACKS View Post
    when i busted mine it was fine when it was cracked but when i broke it open in tellico you could smell the gas fumes coming from even more so when going down the highway. At one point i couldn't get any faster then 50 mph on the high way. I would floor it ind loose forward momentum. I pulled off the highway duck taped it shut and ran like a top.

After getting home
    I took out the vent line and put the vacume lines together no problems or codes.

Same here. One line is just a vent. Connect the two other lines together. I have a little bit of pressure in the gas tank but haven't seen any other ill effects.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

16. #16 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    The only thing I every noticed was the truck smelling a like gassy at times.
    Anthony

17. #17 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    The stupid assclowns at the Jeep Dealership gave me the wrong IAC, I took the one they gave me and installed it, turned the truck on and the damn thing was idling at 2500rpm's so I was like maybe its just a little brake cleaner or something left over from me douching the inside where the plundger goes, and drove it around the block, and then went back home parked and same thing, so I pulled it out and the fucking part number is not the same, the one in the jeep now is 53030657AB, they gave me 53030657AC.

After this whole episode is over i'll be a professional at removing and installing an AIC and if you are ever in utah and need one installed i'm your man.

18. #18 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Put the evap canister in the engine compartment today. Just unbolted it, put it next to the filter, a couple of big zipties, no problems.

The filter is being cleaned, BTW.
    Attached Images   
    '98 ZJ 4.0 | 4.5"| the usual goodies
    '08 F-350 6.8 | the tow rig
    http://zjguy721.fototime.com/MyPictures
    http://www.glfwda.org
    http://www.greatlakes4x4.com

19. #19 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    BANNED Lifetime Supporter CurtP's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by newman187 View Post
    The stupid assclowns at the Jeep Dealership gave me the wrong IAC, I took the one they gave me and installed it, turned the truck on and the damn thing was idling at 2500rpm's so I was like maybe its just a little brake cleaner or something left over from me douching the inside where the plundger goes, and drove it around the block, and then went back home parked and same thing, so I pulled it out and the fucking part number is not the same, the one in the jeep now is 53030657AB, they gave me 53030657AC.
    That's probably the right part. That just sounds like a revised version. I had several sensors on both the '96 and the '98 that had different part numbers than what the orginals had. Did you disconnect the battery to reset the computer? It takes it awhile to get used to the new IAC if you don't - the computer learning process is much faster if you reset the computer.

The evap canister is evacuated by vacuum. Accumilation is done by pressure buildup in the gas tank forcing fuel vapor to the evaporator cannister. I'd relocate the canister before I'd remove it, but that's me - YMMV. If you're going to remove the canister, I'd recommend installing a vented gas cap too.

$190 to clean the injectors? That's not only retarded, they're going to only do a half-assed job anyway. They won't even take them off the engine - they'll hook it up to one of those injector cleaning machines and run your engine off of it for 10-15 minutes. Complete waste of money. If you want to get your injectors cleaned, remove them from the engine and either find someplace locally who will do a sonic cleaning on them and flow match them. If it's a vehicle you can do without for awhile, then send them to TPiS (www.tpis.com). $15/ea to clean, $25/ea to blueprint. If you can't have downtime on your rig, then order new injectors from Racetronix (http://www.racetronix.com). I've had excellent results from the Delphi/Lucas injectors. I think the ones I ordered from them last time were 21#/hr injectors (for the 4.0). They're $35/ea and come from Racetronix already flow matched (and they won't carbon foul like aftermarket pintle injectors).

20. #20 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    here is how I mounted my canister;

So far seems to work fine.

21. #21 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    ever have the problem where the stud spins too on the charcoal canister??
    98 GC 4.0 BORED .60, 4.7 stroker, rustys 4.5 custom lift, fastman tb, oba, 33 swampers this that and whatknot...

92 subaru justy rally car mazda b6t- 1300lbs + 250hp = crapping pants

run over a HONDA its your CIVIC duty!

My jeep won the war, your honda mows my lawn.

22. #22 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    i ripped my shit off by bashing it with a hammer and then connected the two little lines. the fat one dangles there. end of story.
    97 zj ltd. 5.2, 3.5 RE w/ adj track bar, 32 maxxis buckshots

23. #23 Re: Fuel Evap Canister 
    Quote Originally Posted by xtremzj View Post
    ever have the problem where the stud spins too on the charcoal canister??
    Pull down on it and the canister will come off the studs.
    With today's gas prices, I decided to keep my canister. Fabbed up a lil mount for in the engine bay but I need a hose clamp to finish it up.
    Anthony

Thread Information