Thread: 3/4 ton brake question

1. #1 3/4 ton brake question 
    What is everyone who has swapped in 3/4 or 1 ton axles using for their braking system?

I am currently running a Vanco hydroboost setup that I originally put on to help the D30/8.8 brakes stop. I now have a 3/4ton D44/14 bolt (disc brake) and would like to remove the hydroboost system to relieve my PS pump issues.

Will a ZJ master cylinder and brake booster from a disc brake equipped ZJ work or should I look for something else?

2. #2 Re: 3/4 ton brake question 
    Anyone??? I am begging...

3. #3 Re: 3/4 ton brake question 
    Ken L
    '96 ZJ with stuff

4. #4 Re: 3/4 ton brake question 
    I am running a Waggy 44 front with an 8.8 rear. I tried the e350 MC with an XJ booster and found my calipers simply do not have the volume for it. After bleeding and pushrod adjustment, I still had a super hard pedal that would not lock my pads up. By increasing the bore of the MC so much, I had given up all mechanical advantage. The problem could have been solved by a bigger booster, but I don't like the idea of having good brakes ONLY when the motor is running, and I plan to swap larger axles down the line anyways so the XJ booster with the e350 should work fine once I have some larger calipers.

Remember that brake peformance depends on the ratio of your master cylinder to caliper volume. Also, very minor increases in MC bore cause dramatic changes. I would at least try the e350 on yours since you have larger calipers. They are cheap enough to not worry about if it doesn't work (about $25 plus small core charge) The 86 e350 master has a 1 1/8" bore. The stock ZJ master cylinder bore is 1". For the time being, I am running a XJ master 15/16" and it works OK, but you will need something bigger.
    Last edited by ATL ZJ; 03-07-2007 at 07:35 PM.

5. #5 Re: 3/4 ton brake question 
    What are your powersteering issues? I think I would just replace the powersteering pump and keep th hydroboost.
    1997 Limited on 35's, 7" long arm and F/R d44's with alloy's, superoints and other stuff.

6. #6 Re: 3/4 ton brake question 
    On my 98 zj i have the stock m/c and booster with 78/79 ford bronco calipers up front and 88 xj calipers in the rear and it will lock all 4 up but i am on 44/9 axles.

7. #7 Re: 3/4 ton brake question 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Admin
    I'm running 1 ton brakes on the buggy, so I slapped in an F350 master cylinder / vacuum booster.

8. #8 Re: 3/4 ton brake question 
    My ps issue is that my ps pump does not like pushing my 37's and running my braking system. I am always worried I am going to blow up my pump on the trail when it starts howling. I eventually need hydro assist but that would make even more work for my ps pump.

Thread Information