Warning: preg_replace(): The /e modifier is deprecated, use preg_replace_callback instead in ..../includes/class_bbcode.php on line 2958
12" or 14" travel shocks

Thread: 12" or 14" travel shocks

1. #1 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    I am trying to determine what shocks I need for the ZJ. I am relatively low (about 5") and would like to keep it that way. I know I could bumpstop the crap out of it and have a crazy amount of downtravel, but 12's might be easier just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm running Claytons and 35's. What are you other guys running?

I would measure it out using the forklift but its broken down at the time.

2. #2 Re: 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    I'd like to know too because I need to order some shocks and I'm planning on going to Claytons and possibly 35s as well with similar amounts of lift.
    Quote Originally Posted by ATL ZJ
    it's a hobby that rarely makes good financial sense.
    Quote Originally Posted by Alaska ZJ
    I can proudly say that I am one of the "OG's" of mutilating a perfectly good luxury SUV.
    1996 V8, Claytons, HP30/D44a locked, ARB, winch, WJ brakes and high steer, 33s, some body damage.

3. #3 Re: 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    Quote Originally Posted by Puma297 View Post
    I am trying to determine what shocks I need for the ZJ. I am relatively low (about 5") and would like to keep it that way. I know I could bumpstop the crap out of it and have a crazy amount of downtravel, but 12's might be easier just so I wouldn't have to deal with it. I'm running Claytons and 35's. What are you other guys running?

I would measure it out using the forklift but its broken down at the time.
    What shocks do you have now? Looks like a good bit of travel already.

I put on BDS shocks for their 6.5" lift. I was lazy and only measured the front before ordering them. I have a BDS catalog with all of the specs. so it makes it easier to figure out.

Shock specs: Front 26.20 ext., 15.80 collapsed= 10.4 travel, Rear 29.78 ext., 17.59 collapsed= 12.16 travel.

I have 4.5" BDS coils up front and 3" front skjacker in the rear, not sure of the actual lift amount. And have 33x12.5 TSL's with 3.75bs.

The front has shock stem eliminators and bump stops extended 2 1/2". The front travels all of the way to the bump stop with maybe a half an inch left on the shock travel. Extended the spring is still seated in the pic.

The rear has no bump stops and bottoms out on the shock before stuffing the tire all of the way. Extended all of the way the rear spring unseats an inch or so, but not enough to pop out.

With 33's I would like to have the shorter 10" shocks in the rear to let it stuff farther. With 35's I think 12" would be perfect and wouldn't loose springs. At 14" you would have to extend the center post in the rear to keep from loosing springs. Maybe 14" in the front with the stem elim. so you could steer better plus the stock bump stop should keep the spring in as long as the bottom is attached good. BTW its on skycrapper lowers and stock uppers with the mounting brackets cut to allow for full travel in the pics. With Claytons the only difference would be that the axle might not walk under as much, not sure though.
    95' zj custom body work
    04' wj stock
    bunch of other things with wheels

4. #4 Re: 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    Caucasian Sensation Staff ELLLLLIOTTTTT's Avatar
    I'm running DT3000's and they aren't bad but I got them for my 4" lift I ordered through Kolak like 3 years ago. I definatley need ride quality so I'm going with Bilstein 5100's. I am not sure of the travel on the DT's, I'm thinking around 8-10".

5. #5 Re: 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    I have 14" in the rear and even with extended posts (just the short ones from KOR BB) and 7" RK springs I unseat the springs enough to fall off the post easily.I had to make upper retainers. I have 12" shocks in front and they are a little long really. I would say at 5" no more than 10" front and 12" rear. Mine are all MX-6's by the way. I don't remember the ext/comp lengths.
    1997 Limited on 35's, 7" long arm and F/R d44's with alloy's, superoints and other stuff.

6. #6 Re: 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    Senior Member GSSW Planner chadjans's Avatar
    12"

14 will be too long for your application.

7. #7 Re: 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    Quote Originally Posted by chadjans View Post
    12"

14 will be too long for your application.

Ditto...

I went with the Rancho RS 5010's front and rear, which are actually about 11" of travel. For my limited experience wheeling on them, they seem to be a good length.

8. #8 Re: 12" or 14" travel shocks 
    my re's are 15.5" collapsed and 26.5" extended = 11" of travel on 3.5" coils + 2" BB with extended bump stops they do not limit my suspension travel at all.
    -04' silver ram 1500. 5.7 hemi. 4x4. a few goodies.
    -98' chargold zj. 4.0/242. stocker.
    -09' black yamaha rhino SE. new offroad play toy.
    -96' black zj. 4.0/242. re 4.5" + 2" BB, 35" bfg at's, 8.8 w/ e-locker, open HP30, 4.56's, TW SYE & F/R driveshafts, currie steering, addco's F/R, ARB'ed, Warn 8k winch, & armor. - SOLD

Thread Information