View Poll Results: What 3 trails do you want to run at GSW 2007?

Voters
29. You may not vote on this poll
  • Poison Spider Mesa

10 34.48%
  • Kane Creek Canyon

10 34.48%
  • Onion Creek, Kokopelli, Rose Garden Hill

7 24.14%
  • Fins 'N Things

5 17.24%
  • Gold Bar Rim

8 27.59%
  • Seven Mile Rim

5 17.24%
  • Flat Iron Mesa

3 10.34%
  • Cliffhanger

11 37.93%
  • Hell's Revenge

14 48.28%
  • Moab Rim

13 44.83%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007?

1. #1 What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    The GSW planners want to know which 3 trails you would most likely run if offered at the 2007 event. We have a list of 10 trails we are considering with brief descriptions as follows.

Poison Spider -Moderate- Awesome first time to Moab trail! Includes a little bit of everything that makes Moab, Moab from slick rock waterfalls to sand dunes to cliffs and ledges. This trail also includes great views of the Behind the Rocks Area and La Sal Mountain Ranges.

Kane Creek Canyon -Moderate- This trail is the exact opposite of Poison Spider because it includes everything you wouldn't expect to see in Moab. It has some 50 water crossings, follows the creek at one point, and has tight green brush surrounding much of the trail. The toughest part of the trail is the climb out of the canyon towards the end.

Onion Creek, Kokopelli, Rose Garden Hill -Moderate- This trail is mostly moderate offering great scenery and chance to get into Utah's backcountry a bit. Some views include the La Sal ranges and Colorado River. The climb up Rose Garden hill is the most difficult part of this trail and is near the end. Because of the hill, this trail offers a nice mix of scenery and difficulty.

Fins 'N Things -Moderate- This trail really demonstrates the traction slickrock has to offer. The Jeeps are allowed to travel very steep ascents and descents because of the high traction. The trail travels over many fins both large and small. Another good trail for GSW'ers on their first visit to Moab.

Gold Bar Rim -Moderate-Difficult- The first two miles of this trail are moderate and lead to a great overlook of Gold Bar Canyon. The next, more difficult part of the trail culminates with a birds eye view of the Arches National Park. The difficult part includes several unnamed obstacles such as ledges.

Seven Mile Rim -Difficult- A mostly moderate trail with a few difficult (some optional) obstacles including Wipe Out Hill. Also includes TONS of awesome scenery such as the Uranium Arch and Monitor & Merrimac Buttes.

Flat Iron Mesa -Difficult- This trail is more difficult than 7 Mile Rim as it includes more numerous and difficult obstacles (again, some are optional, some are not). Some of the notable obstacles include Egg Hill and Tilt-a-Whirl. There are also some great views on this trail including a great view of the trails namesake mesa.

Cliffhanger -Difficult- This trail was not offered at the last GSW due to some pipe repairs that caused crews to make the trail passable for large dump trucks and the such. Anyway, the trail is back to a challenging status, and the challenge begins right away with a steep stair-step entry for the trail. Also, the trails namesake obstacle near the end will get your attention as you feel like you are driving off the edge of the cliff. In reality, there is 10 feet or more between you and the cliff...but you can't see that from the driver's seat!

Hell's Revenge -Difficult- The best feature of this trail is you can make it as difficult as you like because of the plethora of optional and difficult obstacles including Hell's Gate, Escalator, Dump Bump, and Tip Over Challenge. Also, if tme permits, a side trip to Potato Salad Hill is a possibility. That said, every one of those obstacles is bypassable, but there are some other difficult ledges etc. that make even the mandatory parts of the trail difficult. There are also a couple of overlooks that offer some awesome views and scenery on this trail.

Moab Rim -Near Extreme- This trail has it all! Awesome scenery, great views, and near extreme terrain. In the past, we have had one roll over and one near roll over on this trail, so it in not for the faint of heart. If you are willing to take the chance the climb is worth it for the afore mentioned views and scenery. Because of the difficulty, 33" tires and one traction aid are required for this trail, so please do not select it unless you meet these requirments. NOTE: This trail tilts you very precariously towards a 500 foot vertical cliff while descending staggered ledges about 1' from said cliff.

If you do not see a trail that you would like to run write in and tell us what you would like to run. One trail that has already been mentioned is Rusty Nail.

Also, if you have specific trail features that you want tell us what they are and we may be able to find a trail that offers some of those features.

One last note, Prittchet and Golden Spike are not on this list, but will be offered at GSW. Prittchet requires at least 33" tires and traction aids in both axles. Spike will require 33" tires and at least 1 traction device. This trail will also be limited to around 10 Jeeps as it is a very long trail even if nothing breaks. If you are interested in either of these trails, please respond in the thread.

If you want more information about any of these trails, a quick google search usually turns up a couple of trail reports and most of these trails are featured in the Wells Moab book.
    Last edited by jsteves; 02-08-2007 at 05:01 PM.
    04 Dub -- Longarms, JK44, 9" ARB's etc.
    68 Super Wagoneer - Resto Project
    93 ZJ: longarms, 231D, 35's, 44/Hi 9", ARB's, etc. -- Sold

2. #2 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Prittchet and Golden Spikem, rusty nail
    hp30, 8.8, long arms, chevy steering, 6" lift, 35 mtrs, 231, locked SOLD

3. #3 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Any chance I can squeeze in on the Golden Spike run this year?

-Ron-

EDIT: Count me in for the Pritchett Canyon run also, assuming it isn't run the same day as Golden Spike. For a third choice it doesn't really matter to me...all of the trails rated "difficult" would be new to me.
    Last edited by Krash80; 02-08-2007 at 04:59 PM.
    1993 Trashcan, 7/8 Ton, 37's

Some people play golf, others enjoy football...I just really like fucking with people.

Vote REPUBLICAN.......because EVERYONE can't be on WELFARE!!!

4. #4 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    I second the Golden Spike run (maybe we can show up a day earlier or stay a day later).
    Project Never-ending
    1997 ZJ - sold
    www.tntcustoms.com

5. #5 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    Maybe we should mention that Moab Rim tilts you very precariously towards a 500 foot vertical cliff while descending staggered ledges about 1' from said cliff. Not for the faint of heart.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

6. #6 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Quote Originally Posted by Cody View Post
    Maybe we should mention that Moab Rim tilts you very precariously towards a 500 foot vertical cliff while descending staggered ledges about 1' from said cliff. Not for the faint of heart.
    DONE!

7. #7 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner Cody's Avatar
    lol, nice.

Moab Rim is a classic Moab trail and offers extremely rewarding scenery. the pictures facing back towards the river--and overlooking the la salles from the top (especially in the spring when they are covered with snow) are amazing. It's not that difficult--but for some reason leaning towards that cliff will make anyone squeemish.
    Resident hater of tall lifts, dana 44's, 4.0's, stingers, exo cages, and ZJ tow rigs....and the word "overlanding"

8. #8 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    For sheezie!

9. #9 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner PassRunnerZJ's Avatar
    Bump to get this back in action: We need more input from prospective participants. We are looking to see if it is feasable to offer some trails on multiple days, please vote and give us your feedback. Don't ask for Golden Spike as it is too long of a trail for Saturday.

Also, if there is a cool trail you know of that we have overlooked please let us know for concideration and give us the reasons it is desirable.

Thanks to those that have left feedback, for the rest of you, now is your chance to be heard.

Thanks,
    Todd
    '98 ZJ, 33s and an XJ drivetrain, Iron Rock Offroad 4.5" Critical Path suspension lift, D44i, custom rear bumper w/tire carrier, KOR ZJ Radiator Support
    '95 ZJ - after 208k and the fun gear swapped to the '98, now it gets setup to sell
    '01 WJ, T/C skid, K&N replacement - wife's DD
    '04 Honda Civic - my DD

10. #10 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    IF you need a leader for any of the trails listed (or some that aren't...) you can count on me to lead or tail gun. I'd lead the Spike.

Bob
    T&T Customs, Inc.
    "dream it, we can build it!"

11. #11 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Member GSSW Planner
    I would like to go on Prittchet this year.
    Matt McKeon
    Saline, MI
    95 ZJ Kevin's Offroad 7" long arm kit
    Rear 8.8 w/488's & ARB
    front HPD44 w/488's & Tru-track

12. #12 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    I'd love to run Golden Spike or Prittchet. I had a good time running Metal Masher at last years EJS, some good optional obstacles(Rock Chucker and Widowmaker) . I'd also be interested in running Rusty nail as well.
    94-5.2-231-8.8-Narrowed HP44-36's
    03 4x4 Quad Cab CTD
    02 WJ 4.7 HO

13. #13 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    I would love to run Golden Spike (I have not done this trail yet) and Prittchett Canyon.

Thanks,
    Ron
    95 ZJ 5.2L/ Atlas II/ 8.5" Custom R.E.L.A. Kit with 35" MTR's on MT true beadlocks/ Ft Tera 50 with 31-spline alloy shafts/ Rear Tera 60 with 35-spline alloy shafts/ ARB's/ 4.56 gears/ winch/ FT & Rear bumpers/ custom rock sliders/ etc. etc.

14. #14 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    I did Spike last year so I will pick some others for this year and let people that have not had a chance yet go on it. I'm thinking about Prittchet, Moab Rim, Cliffhanger or Kane Creek. Whatever the trail I'm sure that we'll have a good time. I keep checking for the Trail selection to be posted but nothing yet, anyone have an idea when it will be open? The time is getting nearer and I'm getting the itch to do some wheelin.

Bill
    Last edited by wpcheairs; 03-19-2007 at 02:21 PM.

15. #15 Re: What trails do you want to run at GSW 2007? 
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Bill,
    We're using this poll to nail down what trails we want to offer. Look for the final list to be up soon.

Thread Information