Thread: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal

1. #1 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    Senior Member Green Mountain ZJ's Avatar
    Doing the 8.8 swap. Instead of wheel spacers, I went with the Super 88 kit. In the process of removing the axleshafts, the cross pin bolt sheared. I called Superior and they said to pull the carrier and get an easy out. Realistically this sounds like the best approach. Has anyone else had a similar experience with a sheared cross pin bolt.

Since this kit has c-clip eliminators, is there a way to cut the c-clips off and be done with this snafu. I called back to Superior and they said it was likely I would have to cut off the ends of the old shafts as well but that it sounded doable. I'm no axle guru so any feedback is greatly appreciated.

2. #2 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    Read through the Aussie Locker thread in the Product Reviews forum. We had similar problems installing the Aussie into Trixie's 44A.

3. #3 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    I did read it. You ended up replacing the whole carrier. There were some other ideas in there too. I was hoping for more details on removing the cross pin bolt.
    Last edited by Green Mountain ZJ; 11-15-2006 at 08:07 PM.

4. #4 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    When i did the 8.8 on my bronco i had to cut it out as well....i tried the easy out idea no luck, the angle is to tight. Forget what Superior said.....also check some of the ford foums for a new carrier, they show up all the time i bought mine for like 15 bucks shipped..

An your putting C-Clip elimiators on it????? Hope they hold up.
    Im not crazy cuz i take the right pills every day

My Old ZJ

My Rover
    '74 Land Rover Series III 109 Ex Norwegian Military. Right now the only things holding it together are a few rust gremlins holding hands

5. #5 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    Senior Member Lifetime Supporter
    Grand Slam West Planner
    Admin
    If you're doing a Super 8.8 kit, I'm assuming you're putting some sort of locker in it? Why not just do a full carrier locker ie Detroit or ARB and hack your carrier to crap?

6. #6 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    Quote Originally Posted by BigDaveZJ
    If you're doing a Super 8.8 kit, I'm assuming you're putting some sort of locker in it? Why not just do a full carrier locker ie Detroit or ARB and hack your carrier to crap?
    The 8.8 came w/ a limited slip. I was planning on using that for now if I can. Plan A is to try and cut the axle ends off and get it out that way. Plan B sounds like a Detroit and going full on w/ a cut off wheel.

As far as C-clip eliminators, this kit is supposed to have a a better set-up in that respect to c-clip eliminators of the past. I am willing to give it a try seeing as to where c-clips can leave you. I am glad this happened in the garage and not in the back forty somewhere.

7. #7 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    When i did mine, i did not have any special tools other than a hammer and a huge chisel......and i destroyed the carrier to get it out but a hammer and chisel worked.

Let us know on the c-clip eliminators......Most are designed for the track not the punishment of a 4WD.
    Im not crazy cuz i take the right pills every day

My Old ZJ

My Rover
    '74 Land Rover Series III 109 Ex Norwegian Military. Right now the only things holding it together are a few rust gremlins holding hands

8. #8 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    Update on 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal. Plan A is making headway with the help of some modified for clearance Milwaukee Torch blades. I was able to get in and cut about a 1/4 " off of one axleshaft which allowed me to slide it in just enough to get the C-clip out. Progress feels good at this point since my battery operated sawzall works for about two minutes and needs a charge. Monday will bring a visit to the local tool warehouse. For now, one axleshaft out allows me to prep for the Super 88 which adds 1 1/2" to the width of the axles, eliminates the c-clips, comes w/ chromoly shafts, and works with any locker currently available. There is a write-up on this kit already at www.stu-offroad.com/axle/super88/super88-1.htm for those that are interested. I Will post more later as time allows.

9. #9 Re: 8.8 Cross Pin Bolt Removal 
    1-2 hours I wish. That is how long it is supposed to take to do the Super 88. I finally got the old axleshafts out and got rolling on the kit. The kit is pretty rugged for the most part. I did manage to find a weak link that is easily upgradeable. There are grade 5 locking nuts and grade 8 bolts that hold the bearings and c-clip eliminator setup. I ditched the grade 5 locking nuts after stripping 2 of them out (???) and went with grade 8 nuts with a flat and locking washer. Used a little threadlocker on it too. Great kit other than that. I say that while it is still on jack stands. Time is the real test. After the brake job I will give more of a report.

Thread Information