Thread: WJ Axle swap

1. #1 WJ Axle swap 
    Member Lifetime Supporter AQHACowboy's Avatar
    Howdy all I been away for a while because I was in Iraq. I had to put my WJ build on hold and now I can start getting my parts. I searched for axle swaps for a WJ but I found no posts about it. I want to upgrade my d30 and d35c to something that will handle 35" tires. I live in NC so we will be going to tellico to wheel. I am wondering if anyone can give some input on good axles that will hold up to 35" tires while crawling. Any threads or pictures would be nice also.

Also does anyone know what the WMS to WMS for a WJ is?

Thank you all for your time and input.
    Danny

2000 WJ Laredo (Daily Driver)
    4.0 I-6 4x4 186,000+ miles and still going strong.
    2007 Tahoe (Wife's truck)
    Fully loaded

2. #2 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    if 35" is your max, I say 44"s front and rear. Also the width is 63.5" if I remembre correctly
    The Blue Submarine
    2001 Grand Cherokee (WJ) 4.7

Life’s journey is not to arrive at the grave safely, in a
    Well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways,
    Totally worn out, shouting “HOLY SHIT, WHAT A
    RIDE!”

3. #3 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    Senior Member Grand Slam West Planner JohnBoulderCO's Avatar
    These links should help you get going.

Keith and I both did recent axle swaps on our WJ's. We both did a lot of research and weighed the options and costs. There are more things to consider, like doing both axles at the same time and getting a matched set.
    Enjoy,
    John

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=ABS

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...&highlight=ABS

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...highlight=axle

http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...highlight=axle
    WJ, 4.7, Clayton's Front, Double Triangulated Rear, 231HD, HP44, 8.8, ARBs, TR Bumpers, Hydro Assist, 35's, Cage
    Lambo Doors - tweaked unibody
    http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=8532

4. #4 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    Thank you all for all you input and advice. I am a GM guy so the Jeep thing is new to me and I will have alot more questions coming your way.

I am going to go with the D44/9" combo. I have a buddy that has a 9" rear out of a bronco and its a 65.5" WMS to WMS and its really cheap. It has already been rebuilt. So the only things I will need to put on the axle is a full float kit and disc brakes. I need to find a D44 front that will match that 9" rear and I will be set.

I have not raised my GC as of yet, the wife told me I have to take it slow and I can get the axles first and getthem built. But I had to pay for it big time, I had to buy her a new wedding ring set and I have to buy her Burb (with OnStar) before she will let me buy the lift. LOL But I have free rain on how to build the GC.

If anyone can tell me what year and make of ford has a D44 front (hopefully a HP). Also what is the stock back spacing for a 2000 WJ .

Once again thank you for all your help.
    Danny

Fully loaded

5. #5 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    u can use a dana 44 hp from a 67 to 77 ford f100 and f150 it has the 2 peice radius arm mounts that can be cut off , the 78-79 broncos and f150s have cast radius arm mounts , i am using a set of diffs from a 78 full size bronco , the rear was easy but the front i had to get some new tubes pressed in to replace the radius arm mounts , i got the axles for nothing so it didnt bother me any , the difference im width in the stock WJ axles and the bronco ones were about 4" over all
    heres a good write up on all early ford axles

http://77cj.littlekeylime.com/Dana44_2.htm

6. #6 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    Adam are those the only year and make axles I can use for my front axle swap that will match my 65.5" WMS 9"?
    Danny

Fully loaded

7. #7 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    an 8.8 from an explorer will do you far better than a 44 for the rear. my donor was a 99. and the width was 1/2" shorter than the stock axle. (to correct this get some 15X8 wheels with 3 3/4" backspacing) you'd also have to strip all the existing mounts from the tubes and get some brackets to weld on. FootHillOffRoad (do a search) can price you for the individual parts for this. Much cheaper than buying the full bracket kit and not using bits of it.

As for the axles first, thats fine. get them, rebuild them and store them.....
    You'll need some serious inches in the suspension to fit them there 35's. anything less than 35's and the stock stuff will do.
    I'd do the whole shebang all at once versus installing axles and then reworking them with a different setup later on.

To get the pain out of your system in the meantime, do a quick 2" BB with some 32's. Takes little time with significant results. (a weekend if that, and cheap!)

To do 35's on the rig and swap axles, take vacation and plan on at least 1 to 2 weeks of dedicated fabrication/install work to make it work.

P.S.
    Almost forgot, as far as the front end goes.. get your hands on a high pinion d30 (much stronger than the low pin stock in yours) from a XJ. also has u-joints vs the crappy cv's prone to failure. also will handle those 35's up front with no problems at all.
    Last edited by vsh; 11-22-2006 at 08:16 PM.

8. #8 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    I'm running a 65 inch(65.5 depending on opinion of measurer)9 inch. Just wondering why you need a full floater kit? I built mine 35 spline and I'm running 17x8's with 5 inch backspace. Keep in mind that the matching front to your rear is 70 WMS to WMS. That's going to be to big a diffrence for a Grand. You'll need to narrow the front.

9. #9 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by vsh
    P.S.
    Almost forgot, as far as the front end goes.. get your hands on a high pinion d30 (much stronger than the low pin stock in yours) from a XJ. also has u-joints vs the crappy cv's prone to failure. also will handle those 35's up front with no problems at all.
    Correct me if I'm wrong, but the width is different between the XJs D30 and the WJ 30. I think the WJs are wider. It also won't bolt right in to a WJ (I don't know if you want that or not). I know the track-bar bracket is different between the two axles. There may be some other differences too. I'm not sure.
    It'll fit right into a ZJ (I have one in mine).
    Hope this helps.
    -RC
    97 ZJ 5.2 V8 with a 231 and a BB.

"What you do in life echoes in eternity"
    -Gladiator

10. #10 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    I am going to use a ford D44HP and a 9" rear end full width axles for my WJ build. I will be putting on a Clayton 6" long arm kit and I will be using Clayton Heavy Duty high clearance axle bracket kit. The WMS to WMS for the D44HP is 67" and the WMS to WMS for the 9" rear is 65.5". I will be running 35" tires also. Yes I know I will need to do some trimming but I am not affraid to cut plastic and sheet metal. I have the 9" rear axle I just need to find me a D44HP so I can start re-building my axles be for I deploy again in May next year.

I will also be putting a disk brake kit and a full float kit on to the 9" rear. Here are the links to the full float kit and the disk brake kit.

Full Float kit http://www.geartechhd.com/gallery/di...?album=5&pos=8

Disk brake kit http://www.geartechhd.com/gallery/di...?album=5&pos=6

The 2 kits come as a package deal which is pretty cool, their kits are made to fit most aplication.
    Last edited by AQHACowboy; 11-23-2006 at 12:23 PM.
    Danny

Fully loaded

11. #11 Re: WJ Axle swap 
    Quote Originally Posted by AQHACowboy
    I am going to use a ford D44HP and a 9" rear end full width axles for my WJ build. I will be putting on a Clayton 6" long arm kit and I will be using Clayton Heavy Duty high clearance axle bracket kit. The WMS to WMS for the D44HP is 67" and the WMS to WMS for the 9" rear is 65.5". I will be running 35" tires also. Yes I know I will need to do some trimming but I am not affraid to cut plastic and sheet metal. I have the 9" rear axle I just need to find me a D44HP so I can start re-building my axles be for I deploy again in May next year.

I will also be putting a disk brake kit and a full float kit on to the 9" rear. Here are the links to the full float kit and the disk brake kit.

Full Float kit http://www.geartechhd.com/gallery/di...?album=5&pos=8

Disk brake kit http://www.geartechhd.com/gallery/di...?album=5&pos=6

The 2 kits come as a package deal which is pretty cool, their kits are made to fit most aplication.
    What D44 aplication is 67 wms to wms. Also again I ask....Why full float?Are you staying with the 5 lug pattern. Just curious why you want a full float? What spline count are your axles going to be? I don't see the reason for full float when your only running 35's. Willwood makes some great brake kits for a 9 inch. I thought about running a Explorer kit but decided it wouldn't have enough stopping power for big tires and a heavy rig.
    Last edited by H3RESQ; 11-23-2006 at 02:12 PM.

Thread Information