PDA

View Full Version : 06 Cummins or 06 Duramax

RollinBallsDeep
10-22-2006, 05:09 PM
Alrighty, Im gettin rid of my 06 Vortec Max. I had to tow my trailer and crawler the other day and this thing sucks. The truck I wrecked was a Powerstroke and it was crap and will not fork out the money for that kind of truck again. Im going to trade in my truck that I have now because it wont be that big of a hit to me and I can take it financially(sp?). So I have brought it down the the 06 mega cab cummins, or the 06 quad cab duramax. Both will be 4x4, and both will have autos cause well my legs arent working right now. I figure for the cummins it gets better milage and the duramax is nicer inside and my had controls can swap stright into it. Other than that what do you all think is a better truck? I would like to go with the cummins, I have got quite a few friend with them and a few with the duramax and I seem to like the cummins more. But what all does the d-max have that the cummins doesnt? Help me figure this out, ill be buyin the new truck next week whick ever one I figure I want to get. Thanks for the help,

Marc

BlaineWasHere
10-22-2006, 05:27 PM
The Dodge has a great power plant and I like the idea of the huge cab.

violatedppl
10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
dodge has a great engine but a worthless Auto. I dont know what the new asini(Sp) is going to be like but they have a horrible reputation for their trans not lasting more that 100k with the cummins. I am also looking at getting a duramax great power, great tranny and now being tuned to about I think the record holder is right around 1700 ft lbs at the wheels. But any way I think they ride better and have an overall better drivetrain. check out dieselplace.com alot of good guys over their. I just couldnt see myself spending 20k on a used truck I know the transmission will not last. Theirs people wtih 650K miles on their stock drivetrain with just standard maintance.

BostonBull
10-22-2006, 09:14 PM
I havent seen the mega cab. I would definately recomend the cummins!!! My boss has one, 2004 3500HD, 4 door, short bed. We use it all the time towing 11,000lb chippers and to tow the T-300 Bobcat on a trailer which all total is around 13,000lbs. I love this engine. It is like you dont have any weight on the back when towing these machines.

The truck he has is the top of the line interior. Leather, CD, Nav, Sunroof, Heated power seat etc etc Love it!

Let us know wha you decide.

99redwj
10-22-2006, 09:50 PM
My father has a duramax with the allison trans is an amazing truck it also is a dually truely amazing truck he has pulled a tree stump out in 2wd it was great. very good truck IMO.
Matthew

nate
10-22-2006, 09:59 PM
I like the Cummins because it's easy to work on, runs forever, and the parts are easy to get.

The autos suck. Throw about 4k into it and it's good though.

Otherwise, no real issues.

My 98 has almost 167,000 miles on it. Other than a couple seals here and there, and a transmission rebuild nothing has been replaced.

I get ~16mpg with my truck empty city/highway mix, and pulling the Jeep (~7500lbs) I get ~14-15mpg. I have a friend with an 06 Duramax and he gets basically the same.

RollinBallsDeep
10-23-2006, 02:01 AM
Well I went down and found a Red(which is my color) mega cab and I think im gonna get it. Im going to take and buy the edge hot juice for it and upgrade the exhaust to 5". Going to ditch the stock tranny for a ATS tranny and put in 160 hp injectors. The only reason im going to do this right away is because a very good friend of mine owns a shop, that I work at and is going to give me a hell of a deal. Being that I cannot use my legs(which most of you know, some of the new people dont) I will not be lifting this truck, it being a 4x4 makes it hard enuff to get into. So this will be the new tow rig for Team Thurston Rockcrawling for the 2007 series. Ill get pics posted up next week when I pick the truck up. Thank you for all of your help with info on these two trucks.

Marc

redzj
10-23-2006, 08:20 AM
So you don't like your Vortec MAXX? I was thinking of getting one myself. What didn't you like about it?

RollinBallsDeep
10-23-2006, 10:56 AM
Ive got the extended cab version, you see them most in the quad cab version. I dont like it because it cannot pull for crap. I got it chipped, intake, exhaust and a lil dry shot of spray under the hood and its crap. When your not pulling its a bad ass rig, but when it comes down to running up hills and what not its worthless. If you want one that bad, hell Ill sell you mine.

OverkillZJ
10-23-2006, 11:43 AM
All of the modern diesels are rather amazing. I'm partial to the Duramax, but haven't personally owned any of the modern ones. Just played with.

nate
10-23-2006, 01:20 PM
Keep in mind those upgrades you listed will void your warranty. You will become your own warranty station.

5" exhaust is overkill... and actually can cause power loss. 4" is normally what people run.

ATS is an ok place. I'd shop around those. Georend, DTT, HTS, Suncoast are all guys building good transmission for these trucks.

Well I went down and found a Red(which is my color) mega cab and I think im gonna get it. Im going to take and buy the edge hot juice for it and upgrade the exhaust to 5". Going to ditch the stock tranny for a ATS tranny and put in 160 hp injectors. The only reason im going to do this right away is because a very good friend of mine owns a shop, that I work at and is going to give me a hell of a deal. Being that I cannot use my legs(which most of you know, some of the new people dont) I will not be lifting this truck, it being a 4x4 makes it hard enuff to get into. So this will be the new tow rig for Team Thurston Rockcrawling for the 2007 series. Ill get pics posted up next week when I pick the truck up. Thank you for all of your help with info on these two trucks.

Marc

RollinBallsDeep
10-24-2006, 12:53 AM
I know it will void the warranty, and to tell you the truth Im not too worried about it. As far as 5" being over kill, I seem to think a little different. Hell my buddies 05 cummins that he uses to compete in pulls with is runnin 7", talk about some big exhaust and overkill. Im not too sure what the prices are around the US for these bad boys but Im gettin a hell of a deal on it, sticker price on it is 47K and Im gettin out the door for 34K. So Im pretty pumped that Im gettin back in a diesel, I wrecked my 6.0 powercrapper 7 months ago and have missed the diesels ever since.

OverkillZJ
10-24-2006, 08:33 AM
Anything over 4" probably won't make any more of a difference, but hey, it's shiny :finga:

Skyline
10-24-2006, 10:39 AM
Am I missing something here? Why pay to replace the tranny on a new truck? Why not wait at least until the stock one is off warrantee or showing signs of problems?

RollinBallsDeep
10-24-2006, 11:04 AM
Anything over 4" probably won't make any more of a difference, but hey, it's shiny :finga:

Well 5" would be pretty :bling:

As far as replacing the tranny right off the start would help me out in a few ways. Trying to put power to the ground with a stock tranny doesnt work very well. It will slip like a bat outta hell, so with a new tranny thats built to take high hp I will be able to get my hp to the ground and not take that big of a loss. And as someone already said the stock dodge trannys are CRAP!!!!

RollinBallsDeep
10-24-2006, 11:26 AM
skyline, I thought Id give you an few examples just so you know, incase maybe someone asks you why people would do that. I stated that I have quite a few friends with diesel pull truck who still dirve them on the road and at one poit in life they were stock. My friend/boss has an 05 with a Edge Juice with the monitor, he had the hot juice installed and got injectors and smoked the tranny. Mind you that was only 180 hp chip and 80hp injectors. A second friend has an 06 with a turbo and a bully dog crazy lary programmer which has 230 hp. Smoked his tranny. So I could go on and on because I have at least three other friend that have smoked their trannys. That would be the only reason Id replace it right from the get go.

Skyline
10-24-2006, 11:50 AM
OK, I get the idea that if you want to significantly upgrade the power of your diesel, the stock tranny can't take it.

I'm still not quite understanding the need to upgrade the power of one's diesel pick up. If this is primarily a tow vehicle, doesn't it have more than enough power to pull what you want in stock form? I can certainly understand it if you're going to pull a huge amount of weight, like an excavator or something, but for a competition rock crawler? I would think one of the pickups you mentioned could pull a 7500lb trailer without even breaking a sweat in stock form. I mean more power is always fun, but I would think overkill just burns up more fuel on the highway without much benefit?

RollinBallsDeep
10-24-2006, 01:27 PM
You right, it does burn up fuel but if your having fun doing it than why not. Ive never been one thats easy on the go petal, you could ask Wonder371 about that. Its nice to have that extra go just incase you need it. I was also looking through some diesel power mags this morning at work and the 5" exhaust will lower your EGTs by at least 200 degs. So its good for sumthing.

got2bwj
10-24-2006, 02:48 PM
I work at a Dodge dealership, and we sell alot of diesels cause I live in a big fishing and forestry community, and we haven't put a tranny in a Dodge yet! (but only a few are chipped). And on the dark side of the moon, my freind just put a tranny in his Duramax for a cool $6300.00. :eek:

Good choice with the big Dodge. ;)

KeepItCrunk
10-25-2006, 04:10 AM
my an my dad are splittin an 02 dmax. i love the truck, i don't think i really have any complaint, great gas mileage is a plus with a truck that big. Its a ex cab short bed. Where i work we have 4 2500HD's with 6.0's a 3500 HD with a 6.6 and a 5500 dump with 3k miles on it and a d max as well. These trucks see the worst of stupid teenager punishment and weve done nothing but brakes... on the 3500 we did a fuel sender but it was free adn it was a recall. Weve had fords and never tried dodges... but we ended up with chevy and i dont think were gonna switch any time soon. Im not a ford basher or dodge basher at all, to each his own for sure... i jsut love the quality and service the chevy has given me, both my own truck and the 6 i work with

Pearce
10-25-2006, 04:43 PM
Am I missing something here? Why pay to replace the tranny on a new truck? Why not wait at least until the stock one is off warrantee or showing signs of problems?

Because its a stock Chrysler tranny and it WILL break with any extra power added to the system, LOL Thats just something your upgrade when you buy a Dodge. Just like you have to buy new tires at some point. You know it going into the deal if you plan on adding power to the truck. I'm saving now for a DTT after the truck is paid for. One expense at a time and I just never touch that extra 100 hp setting. :D Well maybe twice, crap that was fast!

nickxj
10-25-2006, 09:49 PM
i bought a 06 duramax with the 300hp,300ft/lbs tourque diesel engine and allison tranny and ive got 130,000k on it so far, she hauls ass really nice, i use it to move forms and haul a trailer with bobcat and about 14 stacks of panels, and it does it like nothing, i got the optional trailer settings and the D lock out as well for towing, i love it, have no upgrades on it at all, its leased, once my lease it up though im going to be getting one of the ones with the 360hp diesel engine :smt077 :smt045

the one thing that buggs the hell out of me is the tranny in the rain, downshift,upshift, constantly, cause of spinning, but i should just let up on the pedal i supposed lol

OverkillZJ
10-26-2006, 10:21 AM
Because its a stock Chrysler tranny and it WILL break with any extra power added to the system, LOL Thats just something your upgrade when you buy a Dodge. Just like you have to buy new tires at some point. You know it going into the deal if you plan on adding power to the truck. I'm saving now for a DTT after the truck is paid for. One expense at a time and I just never touch that extra 100 hp setting. :D Well maybe twice, crap that was fast!

I remember you arguing the 2005 Dodge truck tranny's were the best that year, at GSSE last year :finga:

The Allison's in the Duramax's aren't much different in the modification aspect: So much easier to modify the engine to throw out much more power than the transmission can handle.

Pearce
10-26-2006, 10:54 AM
Yes I did. They are better than any previous Chrysler tranny and having far fewer problems. But not after adding power. And actually I think they finally got the 06 auto to work with a jake brake. I don't remember if I was comparing one manufacturer to another in reguards to trannys but if I was I shouldn't have been. :drinkers: Motors on the other hand, Cummins all the way! :D

nate
10-26-2006, 11:01 AM
Yup, the 06 trucks have an optional Jacob's exhaust brake from the dealer. Transmission (48RE) is setup to work with it.

I read that next years truck will have a 6 speed auto. 68RFE I believe.

rob92xj
10-26-2006, 09:58 PM
I'm a little biased I say get the Dodge with the Cummins, the 06's have the 48RE trans the 07's get the 68RFE and the DC-1(chassis cab models)get a AW-6 with the 6.7L engine.
The Cummins is detuned at the factory as it really is a marine engine and if used the way they are used in boats it will break the transmission, transfer case and axles.

RollinBallsDeep
10-28-2006, 11:35 AM
On my way to pick up the rig in about an hour. Im pretty pumped, and all the goodies get here on tuesday!!! Ill post up pics a bit later

OverkillZJ
10-28-2006, 02:53 PM
I shouldn't have been. :drinkers: :D

Noooo, we should have been drinking more to find better things to argue about :flipoff2:

Maybe we can take care of that next year, haha.

benzj
10-30-2006, 01:26 AM
Im kinda partial to the CUMMINS.

Good choice, take care of her and she'll do the same.

cashflowdub
11-04-2006, 05:33 PM
DURAMAX FOR SURE

benzj
11-07-2006, 01:42 PM
DURAMAX FOR SURE

No doubt the Duramax is a GREAT motor, excellent power throughout the RPM range and pulls great. BUT, the CUMMINS is the ONLY truck on the road out of the big 3 that is rated "Medium Duty" instead of "Light Duty" (Ford and GM)---

What you need to look at is what your going to use the truck for. Pulling heavy loads, everyday over long distance, abusing the piss outta it, draggin shit outta everywhere, etc. Id go w/ the CUMMINS. They make killer power and pull anything, but, they are not as refined as the others. The Duramax is also an excellent motor, very easy to tune, and makes killer power once its programmed right. GM trucks ride incredible, much better than the Dodge IMHO, they are a good everyday truck, pull well, ride and drive well, etc. Therefore, look at what your going to do, what you NEED to do w/ the truck and go from there.

From a personal stand point, I chose the CUMMINS because of the history and the reliability. Being in college and driving very little, and never towing, the CUMMINS is not being worked. I feel bad. My roommate has a 06 Duramax, his truck does ride better, it drives better, but honestly, when you put 2 Jeeps, 2 Recons, and a 32ft Hudson behind either truck and pull to the mountains, the CUMMINS really shines. I could pull the load, plus the Duramax.

Priorities are first.

Goodluck.

nate
11-07-2006, 02:21 PM
I want to see pics of you pulling 2 Jeeps, 2 Recons (whatever that is?) and a camper all with 1 truck. :eek:

We had a Duramax, sitting at 18000 and some change, truck and trailer.

Cummins, loaded a bit less, dunno actual weigh.

Duramax smoked it pulling up the grades.

I was damb impressed.

I still chose Cummins though. 168,000 miles on my 98. Finally about got it broken in. haha

RollinBallsDeep
11-07-2006, 02:32 PM
I bought the cummins, I love it. TQ converter goes in tommrow, stock just does not cut it. I put the Bully Dog Crazy larry in and the stock TQ converter does not like it so much. But i love it, right off the lot gettin 15 mpg and still goin up. Great truck and would take it over a D-Max or a powerjoke any day.

ZJZJ
11-07-2006, 04:44 PM
I want to see pics of you pulling 2 Jeeps, 2 Recons (whatever that is?) and a camper all with 1 truck. :eek:

We both know the Cummins will pull it. It's the stopping part I find scary as hell.

benzj
11-07-2006, 06:59 PM
I bought the cummins, I love it. TQ converter goes in tommrow, stock just does not cut it. I put the Bully Dog Crazy larry in and the stock TQ converter does not like it so much. But i love it, right off the lot gettin 15 mpg and still goin up. Great truck and would take it over a D-Max or a powerjoke any day.

Good stuff.

I've gotta few pics some where, I'll try to find um'. Stock brakes, S U C K, same goes for the auto tranny. If ya get the manual (6sp) then your golden.

nate
11-07-2006, 08:55 PM
Stock brakes suck? WTF are you guys talking about? I drove a newer Dodge, 05 I think and I just about had to pick my teeth out of the steering wheel when I hit the binders. :eek:

benzj
11-08-2006, 01:26 AM
Stock brakes suck? WTF are you guys talking about? I drove a newer Dodge, 05 I think and I just about had to pick my teeth out of the steering wheel when I hit the binders. :eek:

The newer trucks have disc in the rear, us unlucky folk who managed to get an early 02' w/ drums in the back suffer big time. I ended up doing a full disc conversion on the back of my D70 and the upgraded disc from a dually on the fronts. Stops well now.

OverkillZJ
11-08-2006, 01:48 AM
Hell... even my POS (relative to the newer trucks) 1995 2500 suburbon w/ hydro brakes will stop on an absolute dime, with a load, and thats with drums rear... Do any of the bigger trucks really have braking issues?

Oh yeah, I break 20MPG and it's old school TD :finga:

(I guess 229,000 miles counts as broken in)

nate
11-08-2006, 10:45 AM
Yeah I know that. I was under the impression this thread was about 06 Cummins... not an 02 :D

My 98 stops better with the trailer than without to give you an idea how shitty the brakes are.

I have some GM wheel cylinders to put in the back this weekend. We'll see how that works. One of these days I'l like to pickup a D80 with discs to put in the back. I've seen alot of D70s break... they aren't all that strong when your sled pulling.

The newer trucks have disc in the rear, us unlucky folk who managed to get an early 02' w/ drums in the back suffer big time. I ended up doing a full disc conversion on the back of my D70 and the upgraded disc from a dually on the fronts. Stops well now.