PDA

View Full Version : My Rig ('94 ZJ V8 chopped)

Mud Flinger
10-21-2006, 06:01 AM
How do you post pics in this forum?

I will post pics as soon as I know how to do it. Do I need a web address where I upload pics to? then link them from here.

Anyway; my rig is a 1994 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L Magnum V8, with a 46RH automatic transmission, hooked up to a NP249 (full time 4wd; I believe this is called Quadratrac) I bought it for $500 from a local auction.

I drove it around for a few months on a messed up rear D35. I was trying to figure out where a sound was coming from for the longest time, I couldnt figure out if it was a TC or Trans or diff problem. Then it finally exploded. So I bought another rear diff from a junk yard, I got ripped off on the POS paid $850 for it. 3.73 and discs. But its a quick swap. I have been doing my research online. And found a few interesting swaps.

NP249 to NP242 swap. I just have to find a donor XJ, from what I can tell I need a NP242 from an early 90's XJ (1992+) is this correct? (Ive also heard that I need one from a 1994.5+) I guess it has to do with the gears.

Secondly I found a website that explains the GM 14 bolt FF rear diff swap. It states that you can build up one of these for $1000, including disc brake swap, lockers, gears. I plan to do this, buying everything upfront, building it up while still driving my ZJ with its stock rear Diff. Then when I get my Rusty's Long Arm kit ($2000), I will install everything over a weekend. Fabricating as needed on the 14b FF rear diff.

How much do coil-overs cost? I think this is the way to go. I just need to figure out how to mount them and what the rate is on them for ZJ setup.

What do you recommend for a front axle, should I just go with a D60 or is D44 sufficient for 37" tires. I plan to chop my ZJ up to get the room.

The one thing I hate about these ZJ's is the fact they are all electronic based. I tend to like the old school rigs, with less electronics. But I love jeeps overall. I had a 1993 YJ that I totalled a year ago. I was cruising late at night down a rural back country road, where I hit a patch of ice and ended up going about 50 ft into the forest. Hitting a rock, then a tree. I could have fixed it but decided to get rid of it. Someone got a steal of a deal. I am well over 6' tall and I find the CJ/YJ/TJ too small. My ideal jeep would be a full size Wagoneer or jeep truck.

Thanks

violatedppl
10-21-2006, 02:00 PM
if your going to be running a 14B, you should run a front 60 do it right or do it twice. really doesnt seem like money is that big of a concern to you so. that way bolt patterns, width of the axle should be close.

SuicideTireZJ
10-21-2006, 03:27 PM
x2

37's will be stretching the limits of a front 44. If it's unlocked, you might be alright. If it's locked, you'll have to put a lot of money into it to get it strong enough.

You can find a 44/60 semifloat rear combo in half ton trucks, but if you're really all about building this as big as you're thinking, pony up the extra $$$ and buy a ford 60 front and never look back.

Oh, and to post pics you either need to be a supporter and pay your $20 to Dave or host them at a site like photobucket.com

MoonWorks
10-21-2006, 07:05 PM
You better plan on having your ZJ down longer than a weekend. Swaping both axles, loading them w/ gears & lockers, LA setup plus chopping it some will and should take you longer than a weekend. Don't rush through the build. Just take your time! Other guys on here will probably back me on the fact that if you rush a build you will forget or overlook things which will cost you more time and money in the long run.

ILikeMud
10-22-2006, 11:04 PM
You will need to slevee the unibody frame rails.

Also Rusty's BLOWS!

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-22-2006, 11:10 PM
this thread is :smt101

aresridingflat
10-22-2006, 11:13 PM
You better plan on having your ZJ down longer than a weekend. Swaping both axles, loading them w/ gears & lockers, LA setup plus chopping it some will and should take you longer than a weekend. Don't rush through the build. Just take your time! Other guys on here will probably back me on the fact that if you rush a build you will forget or overlook things which will cost you more time and money in the long run.

x2 I learned it the hard way

99redwj
10-22-2006, 11:39 PM
posting pics
-create an account at imagestaion.com
-upload pics
-click on the pics then right click on the pic
-click properties
-copy url then come here
-click the yellow pic icon
-and paste it
there you go
Matthew

Mud Flinger
10-24-2006, 10:10 AM
Is rubicon express any good?

4.5" Extreme Duty Long Arm System ($3 large)

ILikeMud
10-24-2006, 10:19 AM
Clayton's is the best for off the shelf long arms.

jfowlzj95
10-24-2006, 06:25 PM
Clayton's is the best for off the shelf long arms.
x2, i dont run his...yet... but ive seen it work. plus it looks like claytons is cheaper than rubicons

www.claytonoffroad.com (http://www.claytonoffroad.com)

redzj
10-24-2006, 07:52 PM
I think a 14bolt overkill for 37's and would kill your ground clearance. But if you are starting with 37's you will probably go bigger so might as well swap one time only.

Cue-Ball
10-25-2006, 09:59 AM
Moved to Jeep Journals and members rides forum.

For posting pix, you can either do as Red99WJ stated with either imagestation, photobucket, fototime, etc.

OR

Become a supporting member here and be able to host them on the MC server and be able to participate in the vendor giveaways (although it has been a fewe months since we had one).

Dirk

Cue-Ball
10-25-2006, 10:01 AM
Oh I also agree that it will take you MUCH longer than a weekend, and if you are going 14b rear you should look around for a front 60 or build a 60 like AW is in the process of doing and is my plan for the first part of '07.