PDA

View Full Version : New to Snow, equipment?

weiln12
10-18-2006, 12:20 PM
Hey guys! I moved from AZ to Colorado Springs about 2 months ago, and I first need to say it's about time, and I love it here. I handle cold much better than hot. Anyway...

My ZJ has always had issues with windshield wipers. The drivers side has never worked well, seems to lift at speed and only cover half the windshield when it lifts. The wiper itself works fine, and I've only ever used Bosch wipers for my vehicles with no problems. However, I've never lived in snow before. Do I need different wipers, or are there precautions I need to take? Last night the Springs were hit with snow, and driving home wasn't bad. However, the truck sat overnight in the freezing wind, and now the passenger side wiper doesn't even touch the windshield anymore (only 1/2" at top of arc across windshield) and the drivers side only touch's half the windshield, almost like they're frozen in their shape or something.

I apologize, but I figured since a lot of people on this board deal with snow, and ZJ's specifically, this would be the best place to ask. Also, is there anything anyone can think of specifically that I would need other than the traditional snow equipment, like blankets, scrapers, food, etc.? Or anything I need to do to help prepare the ZJ for the winters?

On a whole however, the ZJ really seems to love the snow, or maybe it's just my perception, but either way, CO rocks and I'm loving my ZJ now more than ever. Can't wait to go wheeling in snow!

Thanks!

XLSLC
10-18-2006, 12:26 PM
As a general rule, it's a good idea to carry enough stuff in your jeep so that if you are stranded on the road, you won't freeze. ie... blanket, extra jacket, gloves, hat. You never expect it, but having to change a tire in gym clothing in the middle of January REALLY fucking blows.

Oh and, get your wipers fixed, that's got nothing to do with snow or colorado. Sounds like the wipers are bent or the wiper arm itself is loose/bent.

Krash80
10-18-2006, 12:50 PM
I realize certain parts of CO don't use salt on the roads but instead a magnesium chloride (?), however that still will corrode metal, just not as bad as salt. I strongly encourage you to literally soak the bottom of your jeep with oil (WD-40 from a gallon jug w/ a sprayer, used motor oil, whatever) to prevent rust. I also spray the insides of the bottoms of all the doors (there's little drain holes front and rear on a ZJ door that you can spray oil into) as that's usually the very first place a ZJ will develop bad rust. Also do the bottom lip of the liftgate as well as the front bottom lip of the hood, the hood hinges, etc etc etc....you get the point...oil keeps corrosion away and it has worked extremely well on my ZJ so far.

KeepItCrunk
10-25-2006, 04:16 AM
In definite agreement with Krash... Living in new england everyone knows stuff around here rusts faster then you can even watch... Go n get a Harbor Freight tool catalog and buy there little universal sution/ventri style sprayer... when you do an oil change, gear lube change, anything, jsut dump it into a big jug and put the sprayer to it and jsut SOAK your underbody. The sprayer cost a think 10 bucks? and I've been using this method at work for YEARS and it shows... another really good product if you want to get fancy is this stuff called "cosmolene" i beleive? sp? But its a anti-corrosion spray for underbody's of vehicles and it works wonderssss, stays on for about a full year too. you can find it at most auto parts stores and if you want to get crafty, army surplus catalogs like Colemans in gallon jugs and use your new sprayer with the jug. hole this helps