PDA

View Full Version : Almost Finished 93 ZJ

crombie09
10-11-2006, 04:03 PM
Well I started with a 2wd grand that I was about to sell but decided to put a little money into it and keep out of a car payment. I added V8 UC springs Kevins 2.25 BB and 32" BFG ATs. I wanted muds but the guy at discount tire talked me out of them. I also painted the bumpers and cladding with krylon fusion gloss black. Im waiting for my next check to put on the black rock crawler style wheels. (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/Well%20I%20started%20with%20a%202wd%20grand%20that %20I%20was%20about%20to%20sell%20but%20decided%20t o%20put%20a%20little%20money%20into%20it%20and%20k eep%20out%20of%20a%20car%20payment.%20I%20added%20 V8%20UC%20springs%20Kevins%202.25%20BB%20and%2032)

What do you guys think? Sorry about the newb cut and paste job. :smt005

http://grandcherokeephotos.com/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=0

ZachJ
10-11-2006, 04:16 PM
do you rub at all, looks good btw, it will never be finished.

crombie09
10-11-2006, 04:22 PM
do you rub at all, looks good btw, it will never be finished.

In another thread I posted that it doesnt rub at all, then today it did some when I was turn out of my parking space in reverse. I got a hacksaw blade and cut an inch off the inner fender where it was rubbing on the passenger side. Im sure I wouldnt have this issue if I had waiting and put the 4.00 BS wheels on but I coldnt wait. Thanks for the compliment.

Things to do:

re-tint windows
get seats and all carpet pro. cleaned
re-do headliner
get a 12 inch sub instead of my 8 inch DVC cerwin wega
husky liners
k&n filter and intake
ported TB and matched spacer
new gears
F<R swap

Thats all I can think of. For now.

ILikeMud
10-11-2006, 04:53 PM
Front>Rear swap is a great 'first' lift. Good to build off of too.

ZachJ
10-11-2006, 05:12 PM
if you plan on doing a front>rear swap why didnt you just do that first.

Skyline
10-11-2006, 05:14 PM
Well I started with a 2wd grand that I was about to sell but decided to put a little money into it and keep out of a car payment. I added V8 UC springs Kevins 2.25 BB and 32" BFG ATs. I wanted muds but the guy at discount tire talked me out of them. I also painted the bumpers and cladding with krylon fusion gloss black. Im waiting for my next check to put on the black rock crawler style wheels. (http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/Well%20I%20started%20with%20a%202wd%20grand%20that %20I%20was%20about%20to%20sell%20but%20decided%20t o%20put%20a%20little%20money%20into%20it%20and%20k eep%20out%20of%20a%20car%20payment.%20I%20added%20 V8%20UC%20springs%20Kevins%202.25%20BB%20and%2032)

What do you guys think? Sorry about the newb cut and paste job. :smt005

http://grandcherokeephotos.com/displayimage.php?album=2&pos=0

Big mistake on painting the bumpers and cladding. First of all, it looks pretty ghetto IMO. But more important, for future reference, any plastic body part requires paint with a flexible additive to make it stick more or less permanantly. I don't think you can buy such a thing from a rattle can. Also, all the years of Armor All-ing the bumpers and cladding will make paint adhesion even more difficult, if not impossible. I explored the idea of getting my cladding professionally painted when my ZJ was almost new, and my body shop told me about the only chance of asuring excellent results was to start with brand new cladding, or as second best, cladding from a junk yard that had been painted when new. Expect the stuff to start peeling real soon.

And you need to go easy on the tire-shine stuff.

Finally, you don't say where you're from, but I hope you don't plan on doing any serious wheeling where there is MUD, because the AT's are not the best for that.

ILikeMud
10-11-2006, 05:37 PM
They make paint for plastic that has a flex agent added.

My friend used said paint on his Buckwacker flares and it looks great. IIRC Krylon makes it.

CurtP
10-11-2006, 05:42 PM
Flex agent only allows flexible parts to be handled to be installed. Over time it evaporates from the paint. It essentially slows down the curing process so the paint will flex more. Most good painters/body shops don't even use flex agents if they're using a decent automotive paint.

Getting paint to adhere is a matter of surface prep. Sealers, binders and/or tie-coats aid in getting paint stick to a particular surface.

crombie09
10-11-2006, 09:27 PM
if you plan on doing a front>rear swap why didnt you just do that first.

Because I got the V8 UC springs and BB for $125 shipped to my business. I wanted to see if it would be enough. I think I'd like it a little taller. I figured a F>R would cost quite a bit more than $125 shipped to my door, so I tired this 1st.

crombie09
10-11-2006, 09:36 PM
Big mistake on painting the bumpers and cladding. First of all, it looks pretty ghetto IMO. But more important, for future reference, any plastic body part requires paint with a flexible additive to make it stick more or less permanantly. I don't think you can buy such a thing from a rattle can. Also, all the years of Armor All-ing the bumpers and cladding will make paint adhesion even more difficult, if not impossible. I explored the idea of getting my cladding professionally painted when my ZJ was almost new, and my body shop told me about the only chance of asuring excellent results was to start with brand new cladding, or as second best, cladding from a junk yard that had been painted when new. Expect the stuff to start peeling real soon.

Well Im sorry you dont care for my black. :D Everyone that has seen it here and on the net besides you has said it looks good and or better than before. I painted the grey on the bottom part of my 325i black and it never peeled or cracked. I think its all in the prep. I first power washed all of it after giving it a good sanding. Then got some hot water with dawn in it and scrubbed all the cladding and bumpers. Finally I got some aresol stuff dont remember what its called but its supposed to remove all the wax and residue while leaving it ready to paint. Paint went on well and looks damn good compared to that fading ugly grey. Im not the 1st person to do this either with the Fusion paint, I got the idea from one of these GC boards after reading on the success of others.

And you need to go easy on the tire-shine stuff.

I just sprayed it on due to the hard water in my city leaving the tires looking grey. Calm down :smt023

Finally, you don't say where you're from, but I hope you don't plan on doing any serious wheeling where there is MUD, because the AT's are not the best for that.

Its a poser vehicle only as I've stated before. I live in Midland TX, no off roading really here. I just wanted it to look better and not get into a car payment since this is paid off. Just used a paycheck to clean it up and it needed new tires anyhow.

VirginiaJeep
10-11-2006, 10:34 PM
Hey, you mentioned you wanted to regear. What gears are you running right now? 3.55s or 3.73s? and the engine is a 4.0? Do you still have a decent amount of power left or is it slow as crap?

-Lee

crombie09
10-11-2006, 10:55 PM
Hey, you mentioned you wanted to regear. What gears are you running right now? 3.55s or 3.73s? and the engine is a 4.0? Do you still have a decent amount of power left or is it slow as crap?

-Lee

Honestly I dont know what gears Im running. Im trying to figure that out too so I can regear my speedo. :D I thought it was slower but maybe it just feels that way b/c Im up higher? I drove beside my GF tonight in her truck and she said she was going 80 but my speedo shows 70. So if I actually drive at or around 70mph Im fine. When I drive 80 plus, it wants to downshift on hills and I really dont care for that. It seems to have plenty of get up and go. I got frustrated today and flored it, the thing still will spin the tires. I guess its ok.

Im not sure about going up to 4.11s or 4.56s b/c then itll downshift more at higher speeds right? This want a prob before but I literally just got transfered to the city next door to us so I went from 10 miles a day to about 30. :doh:

Oh just had a thought it sits at about 1500 rpms as I drive around 40-50 mph which is nice through town.

SuicideTireZJ
10-12-2006, 03:03 AM
I think the black looks pretty decent. I hated how my body cladding was always more chalk-white than grey since it faded. You combated that with paint, I just ripped mine off. To each his own!

Oh, and posting images hostd by GrandChreokeeHomos.com is a no-no around here