PDA

View Full Version : auto darkening welding hoods ?'s

violatedppl
10-03-2006, 02:16 PM
just wondering if anyone here has an auto darkening welding hood. and how do you guys like it. I have the regular flip down method, but trying to drop the hood and welding out of position while keeping the rod where you need is starting to suck.

Krash80
10-03-2006, 02:53 PM
I learned to weld with a normal manual mask, but for the past couple years i've been using a 49$ harbor freight auto darkening mask and i absolutely love it. I haven't had any problems whatsoever w/ the mask and it works like a charm. I'm glad I learned with a standard mask though as it makes me appreciate the auto one that much more.

-Ron-

DJJordache
10-03-2006, 03:05 PM
I have heard that the OLDER HF ones sometimes leaves a flash in your vision b/c it dims slower than the high dollar ones 1/10000 of a sec vs 1/25000 or a sec.

ok nevermind I just checked and the older ones used to be slower but the ones on HF right now are at least 1/20000th. How do you like it, how long does it take to go back to clear?

Krash80
10-03-2006, 03:23 PM
I have heard that the OLDER HF ones sometimes leaves a flash in your vision b/c it dims slower than the high dollar ones 1/10000 of a sec vs 1/25000 or a sec.

ok nevermind I just checked and the older ones used to be slower but the ones on HF right now are at least 1/20000th. How do you like it, how long does it take to go back to clear?

The HF one I have has an adjustment to control the dimming rate...I think mine's always set on the quickest setting. It's instantaneous as far as I can tell. As I stated above, I love it.

The one I have is the 2nd one down from the top on this page: Harbor Freight Tools (http://da.harborfreight.com/cpisearch/web/search.do?keyword=welding+mask)

EDIT: I guess the adjustment is for how dark it goes, not how fast it darkens. LOL, I guess I should've read the directions when I bought it.

RUYellow
10-03-2006, 07:21 PM
I had one that was a speedglass fixed at 10(darkness). I loved it and thought it was awesome, bought it at Norco for $99.00.

When I bought a TIG I decided that I needed a slighlty darker helmet, this is my new one.

http://www.brwelder.com/images/HELMET%203%20PIC.jpg

Miller Big Window Elite, it is amazing how much better you can see. I also installed a small magnification lens in it and it really helps with the precision stuff.

If your budget is tight the HF ones are a great deal. If you want one that will last you a long time and is just an all around awesome product...

BigDaveZJ
10-04-2006, 12:19 AM
I've got one of the high dollar auto darkening hoods from Miller. VERY nice. I got it before they came out with the big window ones though. Controls for darkness, responsiveness, sensitivity, and something else I can't remember. Absolutely love it.

violatedppl
10-04-2006, 02:48 AM
I am looking to spend between 100-150, I figure while I am still in school and while doing shop work I would use the auto, but out in the field I dont know how well they would take the beating.

ILikeMud
10-04-2006, 09:58 AM
I used a cheapie one at school. Was pretty nice except sometimes it didn't darken right away.

OverkillZJ
10-04-2006, 10:41 AM
After using Dave's auto-darkening in the middle of his street welding up the trailer caliper bracket, I've been just plain frustrated using my flip down.

I'm spoiled now, need one.

BigDaveZJ
10-04-2006, 10:58 AM
Welding in the middle of the street in an HOA neighborhood kicks ass.

OverkillZJ
10-04-2006, 11:04 AM
Yeah, I think you Pam were instantly put on the WHITE TRASH list the second I showed up in my barely-running suburbon that night, and just never left :figna:

RUYellow
10-04-2006, 12:17 PM
This one is like my first helmet. It worked great and currently priced ~$141.87

It was very rugged, I would still be using it if I didn't need a darker one for Tig.

http://cgi.ebay.com/HORNELL-SPEEDGLAS-UTILITY-AUTO-WELDING-HELMET-buySAFE_W0QQitemZ130031929340QQihZ003QQcategoryZ92 090QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

nate
10-04-2006, 07:23 PM
I use a Miller XLi. I bought it when I got my welder 2 years ago, was around $175 or so. Still works great. I don't weld everyday, but it's been used a bunch and beat up.
I also have a regular helmet for trail use or if I'm out in bright sunlight and the auto dark keeps getting confused.

EMTimZJ
10-04-2006, 09:23 PM
I've got the HF auto dimmer, no flash burn on my eyes at all. It was marked $100, but it was onsale for $45-50 or so... I'll see if I can find it.

I looks like this one withOUT the flames...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=91214

AprilzWarrior
10-05-2006, 12:02 AM
Miller Big Window Elite, it is amazing how much better you can see. I also installed a small magnification lens in it and it really helps with the precision stuff..

I too have a Miller Big Window Elite, great hood, not too much $$$

However, the Jackson EQC is TOP OF THE LINE, all the bells and whistles.

Owning both, the Jackson is SUPERIOR to the miller, not just in clairity but soo many other ways too.

AW

ProjectZJOM617T
10-05-2006, 04:11 AM
http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9386

It was worth every penny...

Grinding, torch, arc, mig, tig.... There is a setting for everything...

You get what you pay for.. In this case it also comes with a total of 3 outer replaceble sheilds..

violatedppl
10-06-2006, 12:37 AM
well I thought for my first I would go cheap and see how I like it, so I got one from HF. Now in the future I am planing to be doing this for a living so I will prob upgrade.