PDA

View Full Version : Need a new dd

Pitch
09-29-2006, 12:46 AM
My YJ is on the selling block... time for a more "sensible" daily driver. I am looking for suggestions on vehicles. Car or truck with great mpg is what I need.

Requirements:

Sporty, no granny cars
25 mpg+ Hwy
Plenty of room (I am a tall one, so I need some room)
Price: flexible, but nothing outrageous (<$30K)
New/used does not matter

I like the looks of newer Maximas, and surprisingly even the new Camry. The V6 Camry Hybrid gets 40 mpg hwy with 268hp and is far less grandpa-ish than the older models. Again, the biggest issue for me may be the interior room.

So, anyone have any suggestions on a late model vehicle that may fit the bill?

BigDaveZJ
09-29-2006, 10:19 AM
I had an older Avalon as a DD, but it was the definition of granny-mobile and I think you might have been too tall for it anyways. If I sat up straight, heads on the ceiling.

A buddy of mine picked up an Acura TL recently, and surprisingly I fit in there very comfortably. I kept giving him shit about the cars he was buying (over the years Geo Storm, Jetta, Civic, Altima, now the TL) because he's as big as I am and those are all teeny ass cars, but the TL is quite comfortable.

If I had known you were looking I could've sold you my old Avalon before I traded it in on my truck, but you automatically get an AARP card when you drive an Avalon.

jsteves
09-29-2006, 12:00 PM
Audi A4 with 1.8T and 5 speed...Fast and fun to drive, I avg. 26-28 MPG with mixed driving, and the Germans are tall fawks, so there is lots of leg room. In my wifes Toyota I push the seat all the way back to be comfortable at 6 ft... but in my A4 I could move the seat back another 8 inches from where I am comfortable.

Pitch
09-29-2006, 05:46 PM
Good Idea on the A4 Justin. I have always liked the looks of the A4, and now that Audi's are finally more reliable than they were years ago, it is def. worth a look.

This is what I am looking for... a sporty car that "surprises" you with room.

Dave, I have looked at the Avalons before... when my Mom was looking for a car. Not for me. Your new wheels look much better!

AgitatedPancake
09-29-2006, 07:08 PM
I like the look of acura TL's alot, the A4's are pretty too. TOugh decision man =D

CurtP
09-29-2006, 09:49 PM
This is what I am looking for... a sporty car that "surprises" you with room.

MINI Cooper S. Serious. I went through two of them (a 2003 and a 2004) before getting the Z4. Told a buddy who's 6'5"-6'6" that he wouldn't be able to touch the pedals if he put the seat all the way back. He thought I was full of shit until he tried it. Those things are a blast to throw around - I used to autocross mine. The S starts around $20k brand new, but loading one up can make the cost get out of hand. My first one was off the showroom floor and had the Sport and Convience packages. The second one I ordered (I waited for it for two months) and had everything except PDC (park distance control - the fucking car is only 12' long; if I couldn't park that little fucker, I shouldn't be driving). Four-star crash rated too.

However, it draws a *LOT* of attention. The good news is it's almost always girls. The bad news is they're usually 13. You also have to have a thick skin too because all your friends will give you shit about having one.

Shit, that reminds me - I still have a set of MCS rims and brand new BFG's in the attic that I should get rid of :doh:

Something a little more "manly"? How about a used BMW 3-series. A little two-door 325 5-speed would be a blast to drive and parts aren't as expensive as everyone thinks.

I'm thinking about trading my 3.0i Z4 in on either a Z4M or a 335i coupe :smt060

Pitch
09-29-2006, 10:21 PM
MINI Cooper S. Serious.

Yeah, a friend had one when they first became available stateside (2002?). I was amazed that I fit in it comfortably, and it was a blast to drive. However, I could not take my own car seriously if it was a Mini. At 6'9" the roof would be about waist height, and it is just too small.

Are the 3 series Bimmers that roomy? I have never been in one.

x2 on the TL's Greg. They are hawt!!! What do they list at? The nearest Acura dealer is 2 hrs away from me, so that is a little far to just pop in for a look.

Anyone know about the Caddy CTS? Are they roomy?

Halfdoc
09-29-2006, 11:00 PM
Whoa, if you are looking at the CTS, look at the Lexus IS350. I don't know about the seating, but that is worth a drive too.

Good luck. A lot of cool choices in that price range.

David.

Skyline
09-29-2006, 11:06 PM
I would recommend a G35. It will get 25 mpg at 75 mph. You can get a new stripped model for 29,999.999 or a one year old used loaded model for the same price. You definately want a sport suspension. We are talking 300hp, rwd, 6sp. 0-60 is quite a bit less than 6 seconds, and it goes 155. Great handling, fantastic brakes. Basically a 350Z with 4 doors. Mine has been 100% trouble free for the first 45k miles. The AWD models are heavier, de-tuned and automatic only (therefore a bit slower), and I don't think you would need the AWD in Arizona. One problem with the G35 is that it is hard to drive it around town in a way to get good mileage...it's too much fun to wind it out. Go test drive one, you won't be disappointed. Make sure you try it with the traction control nanny shut off.

As far as room, I am 6'2" and do not drive with the seat all the way back. And an adult can sit behind me, although a little tight. Very big trunk. There is no way an adult can sit in the back of an Audi A4 or BMW 3 series with the seat all the way back. Size wise, the G35 is closer to an A6 or 5 series, but nowhere near that price range. As for the Maxima, it's almost the same motor, and FWD; so it has WAY to much torque steer to be nice, although it is a bit roomier. Prior to the G35, I had a 3 series briefly, and before that, a Maxima, and they were both nice cars. But the three series was too small for my family. The ONLY flaw with the Maxima was that it had FWD...which I was not fond of with that much power. The thing understeered way to much at the limit.

CurtP
09-29-2006, 11:46 PM
At 6'9" the roof would be about waist height, and it is just too small.

Damn. At 6'9", you're going to have to go sit in a *lot* of cars to see what's comfortable. You're definately out of the "average height range" unless you have short-ass legs and a freakishly long torso.

Only thing I could recommend is to make a list of the vehicles you like, then go "try them on for size". I'm surprised you fit in a YJ :rolleyes:

Popsicle
09-29-2006, 11:48 PM
May i suggest the A4 in the avant version? or maybe even the A6 in avant. Actually the A6 of the older models only came in avant, i find them to be quite sporty when their painted in black. Also they have alot of room to store stuff, i haul all my stuff back and forth from NYC. Its done me well, plus its really fast, and drives real nice.

BigDaveZJ
09-30-2006, 12:12 AM
I don't think an A4 is worth looking at. I've yet to find a German car under $50,000 that I can fit in. A4 is very similar sizewise to a Passat, and I've "managed" to drive a few Passat's but no way in hell I could do it on a consistent basis.

OverkillZJ
09-30-2006, 12:26 AM
My Audi caught on fire, and my moms which we bought new has been nothing but problems.

Did I meantion the FIRE?

Ya they're nice cars, but I'd rather use one as an RTI ramp now...

JpRngr
09-30-2006, 01:15 AM
WRX? Turbo, AWD, blast to drive. We actually have gotten more attention in it than any of our Jeeps. We also got 25+ MPG at 85mph on our trip to WA. Don't know how many of you guys remember Patrick Connolly. He owned a WRX and seemed to fit alright, all 6'10"+ of him.

Corey

Pitch
09-30-2006, 11:14 AM
I would recommend a G35.

There is a deep red one for sale (used) at the local Jeep dealership, I may have to check it out. I had just assumed I would not fit... but as CurtP said, make a list and start sitting in a lot of cars.

On my YJ, I pushed the seat brackets back a bit, and the factory rollbar is positioned more aft than in a TJ, so I "fit."

The WRX certainly could be worth a look as well. But like the A4, I would not want to go any smaller. I think something a little bit bigger/roomier still with the sporty edge is where I want to be.

I sat in and drove a BMW 745 a few years back... awesome car with room to spare. However the pricetag would make most shudder.

Halfdoc
09-30-2006, 11:46 PM
I sat in and drove a BMW 745 a few years back... awesome car with room to spare. However the pricetag would make most shudder.

My neighbor (sells cars) has a few year old 7 series for sale for like $11,000. Needs a motor. For an additional 4-5 grand you got your room.

D.

chadjans
10-01-2006, 12:08 AM
I am actually condsidering this as a DD....http://www.run4fun.blogger.com.br/VW_New_Beatle_Classic_VT.jpg

Colorado 5.9
10-01-2006, 01:07 AM
LOL, Here's a couple of photos at the New Car auto show from last winter. Pam was test fitting Dave in a Mini Cooper Convertible.

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Colorado59/Denver%20Auto%20Show%2006/Img_7624.jpg

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v169/Colorado59/Denver%20Auto%20Show%2006/Img_7625.jpg

jsteves
10-01-2006, 12:26 PM
I borrowed my uncle's G35 for a few days in Hawaii. It got us around but he says he has put way more money into it than the POS is worth...and it is not much for creature comforts: small seats, all the dash buttons seemed more out of reach than my ZJ, etc.

2000_WJ
10-01-2006, 12:29 PM
http://www.daimlerchrysler.com/Projects/c2c/channel/images/634_chrysler-pt-cruiser-convertible_400.jpg

Teh 1337

Skyline
10-01-2006, 12:49 PM
I borrowed my uncle's G35 for a few days in Hawaii. It got us around but he says he has put way more money into it than the POS is worth...and it is not much for creature comforts: small seats, all the dash buttons seemed more out of reach than my ZJ, etc.

The small seat complaint is common, especially from people who are a bit heavy. Have you ever tried to sit in an M3? Or S4? Both are even tighter. These seats are designed to be a bit tight, so that you stay in your seat during hard cornering. This is a sport sedan. This is also the reason that Infiniti never cancelled the I35. But if you really want plush, buy a Buick. As far as creature comfrots, a G35 can be had with several trim levels. You can get 6 way power seats w/memory, power sunroof, dual climate control, heated seats, power heated mirrors, a very good nav system, rear reclining seats, leather interior, Bose stereo with 200 watts and 6 disc changer in dash. It also has traction control, ABS and stability control standard. What other creature comforts do you want, i-Drive? Velour interior? Fake Wood? As for me, 300hp+ under the hood is all the creature comforts I need.

Pitch
10-01-2006, 04:17 PM
I think I am going to have a look at a 2003 garnet colored G35 this week. 280hp will be a nice change from my 4.0 WJ on 33's!

Skyline
10-01-2006, 04:40 PM
I think I am going to have a look at a 2003 garnet colored G35 this week. 280hp will be a nice change from my 4.0 WJ on 33's!

To me, the ideal used G35 sedan to look for is a sport package car, (brushed aluminum accents inside instead of wood), with the 6 sp and premium package. Other plusses are the Nav system (a $3,000 option on a new one) and the Nismo body kit (also about a $3,000 option). Adding these things up is how you take a $29,000 car and make it a $39,000 car. Used, you'll pay only a little extra for these options.

The automatic cars have less HP and no limited slip. Also, the sport package cars have a completely different suspension with slightly stiffer springs and shocks.

Here's my DD:

Pitch
10-03-2006, 04:33 PM
Well I tried out an '03 G35, '07 V6 Camry, and an 05 Nissan Murano. The first two were well too small, and the Nissan was just not my style. The search continues...

ELLLLLIOTTTTT
10-03-2006, 04:51 PM
How about a 92 Buick Century. They are super bling.

jsteves
10-03-2006, 06:17 PM
The small seat complaint is common, especially from people who are a bit heavy. Have you ever tried to sit in an M3? Or S4? Both are even tighter. These seats are designed to be a bit tight, so that you stay in your seat during hard cornering. This is a sport sedan.

Yes, I have driven and S4 and yes, I know what a sports sedan is, and how it drives; yes, I know how sport seats are designed to fit, and no I am not a fat ass. Infiniti's are made cheap and sold at an unreal mark up. The seats are not comfortable, it has nothing to do with being "sport seats."

Pitch
10-04-2006, 12:12 AM
How about a 92 Buick Century. They are super bling.

My brother drove a 94 Buick Century. It was very teal and very Classy. It smelled of mahogany and old wood.

I formerly owned an 89 LeSabre Custom. Whitewalls and wire rims. It was blue and had six cylinders of sex appeal. Some women still haven't recovered.

Yeah, I have been around the Buick block and won't look back.

wonder371
10-10-2006, 10:43 PM
My brother got an Acura TSX a while back. Its a 2.2L 6spd. Gets great gas mileage around 30mpg i believe (he does a lot of freeway driving). He got a 2005 in '06 so he got it out the door for 21k. Its smaller than the TL, but is cheaper and gets better gas mileage.

It is fun to drive, yet saves you a load of money. He has black on tan... i really like it. Im 6', and fit with plenty of room seat about 3/4 of the way back. Worth checking out and sitting in, see if it fits you.

P.S. if you want an easy power upgrade the new acura RDX (LX300 wanna-be's) has the same engine, but its turbo'ed. Pick up a turbo in about a year from a wrecking/salvage yard... get a little extra hp.

SuicideTireZJ
10-12-2006, 12:55 AM
Cadillac CTS. If you can score a couple year old CTS-V, do it. 400HP with room and luxury to spare, and the V6 and lesser V8's aren't half bad either.

violatedppl
10-12-2006, 12:23 PM
if gas miliage isnt too much of a concern, new GTO with the 6.0. gets about 26 according to the sticker, thats if you can keep your feet out of it. a decent amount of room in the front seat, fast, sporty, fun to drive, and did I say fast.
Or for a tall guy my brother who is 6'5 has a pontiac grand prix GTP, 260HP super charged FWD V6, big trunk, big back seat,reasonably quick. I guess stock it will run 13.9 in the 1/4 but I dont know how much I truste that figure. and he can get about 30 on the open highway.

mudforblood
10-12-2006, 08:44 PM
Get a Jeep Compass:smt082

BlackDiamondBound
10-13-2006, 01:12 AM
dont laugh....what about a volvo.... ok finished laughing? they have decent room. i am 6'1 and fit fine. i have driven to OR a 6hr drive w/ my buddy in the back who is 6'2 and 240 and he was fine..not much room but he was comfy. the seats in the back are set deep so there is more room then it looks. i would only get one w/ the High pressure turbo though. they are quick, i have a c70 coupe and its quicker then my friends m3 (the last generation m3's not the new ones) just another option, they make type r 4drs that are fast too

http://img204.imageshack.us/img204/8836/p1030722xz8.jpg

http://img84.imageshack.us/img84/7806/p1030723kl1.jpg
http://img147.imageshack.us/img147/7278/p1030724ie1.jpg

VirginiaJeep
10-14-2006, 01:45 AM
I'm not laughing.. My family has owned three volvos. Two of them were the old slow 240 series, and my sister now drives a '96 850 Turbo. That 850 will haul and has pleanty of power on the interstates and backroads, handles well.. and gets great gas mileage. The only thing with the Volvos with turbos, is low end.. and off the line torque isn't their stong point. But at 3K RPM+... ZOOM ZOOM!

But some of the newer volvos really are nice cars, and are sporty too. Take a look. Plus they might save your life.

Pitch
10-18-2006, 04:10 PM
I drove my parents 2002 Volvo S80 with the 2.9L around a bit this past week. It was a nice ride: Room for me, the suspension was sporty, the engine performance was decent. But the search continues.

DerekL
03-04-2007, 10:04 PM
Check out a maxima, my mom has a 2003 and it is fast! i can hit 100 in that before i hit 60 in my jeep she has had 3 in the past 18 years, one got traded in on a used 94 that i drove up to 120,000 and the only thing wrong was the water pump gave out fixed it put anouther 30,000 on it, i bought my jeep after she got her 2003 and i have crazy room in it, not to mention we only paid about 10,000 for it with 30,000 miles and the SE package.

hkszx2
03-04-2007, 10:54 PM
The new VW jetta gli, 6 spd, 5 cyl , and turbo .... very quick and good gas mileage to boot. My buddy owns one and he is 6'3 and the recaro buckets fit him just fine and im 6' and fat and i fit in the back seat just fine when his gf is with us