PDA

View Full Version : Not a Jeep, but my next project

Timzjatl
09-06-2006, 12:02 PM
Hey all, It's been a long time since I've been around here, but I thought some of y'all might be interested in my new project.
http://projectfj40.blogspot.com
I was given this cruiser, and I think this will be a good starting point for my next project. I want to build a streetable rig, able to do some moderate wheeling, and get decent mileage as well. The only way I'm going to accomplish the last task is to put in a small diesel, so I'm thinking really hard about a Cummins 4BT.

This'll probbably be a long term project (1-2 years) but I'll post updates as I get stuff done....

Tim

JeepinHank
09-06-2006, 12:12 PM
Damn Tim!!! Good to see you're still alive. lol

Looks like it should be fun.

I saw on the Blog you're in G'ville SC now? I head down that way every once in a while, I'll have to give you a holler.

Good luck with the project. Looks like it should be ummm... iInteresting.

Out of curiosity, how's the frame look on that thing? Looks like you may have to deal with a little bit of rust.

Timzjatl
09-06-2006, 01:46 PM
Yeah, definitely let me know when you're in Greenville. I've been here about a year now. I'm working 2nd shift, so I'm around in the mornings most of the time.

As for the cruiser, the frame seems to be in great shape, with only surface rust. The body has some rot in a few places, but it looks repairable. I figure the $ I saved by getting the Cruiser Free will make up for the bit of extra work.

In addition to the engine swap, I'll do a saginaw steering conversion as well to make her a bit more streetable.

It should be interesting, since my Jeep was taking a decent vehicle and turning it into a beat down POS, and this one will be taking a beat down POS and making a decent vehicle :)

OverkillZJ
09-06-2006, 07:25 PM
Sweeeeeet

northgazj
09-06-2006, 08:03 PM
Looks like you found a nice workshop with a house attached! Good luck with the new project. Do you still have the buggy?

Timzjatl
09-07-2006, 11:18 AM
Yup, still got the buggy. It needs a transmission (or at least a rebuild) and a fuel pump. I a little torn as to what to do with it for now, but it's not costing me anything to sit in the carport. I don't really intend to wheel the FJ too hard, especially after I get the body all fixed up, so I'd better keep it and get it fixed up for trail duty.