PDA

View Full Version : can i remove my airbag clock spring with out side effects

canadian_driver
08-29-2006, 08:51 PM
as the title states.

im not going to have any air bags so im not worried about it not working, in fact i want it to stop working

OverkillZJ
08-29-2006, 10:09 PM
no clock spring = no cruise and no horn, no radio controls if you give a crap either.

canadian_driver
08-29-2006, 10:12 PM
actually no, i dont, well a horn would be nice. would it be hard rig up an extra switch for the horn? just to keep things legal

OverkillZJ
08-29-2006, 10:16 PM
Why do you want to remove the clockspring? Mine is half broken, but the horn wire still works. I jsut don't see the point of taking it out?

canadian_driver
08-29-2006, 10:18 PM
i thought it was just for the airbags and saw no use for it

im trying to get rid of air bags, my radio controls dont work anyways and i dont use my cruise control, but it doesnt really matter if i cant take it out

OverkillZJ
08-29-2006, 10:45 PM
If it's like my 97, the air bag "housing" is what the steering wheel center bolts to. I think Kraqa glued his together, but I seperated my air bag out of the housing.. hard to explain

canadian_driver
08-29-2006, 10:54 PM
it should be simmilar, mines a 98. i know what u mean when u say u seperated it, i just dont know what to do with my steering wheel, my current wheel is toast nothing really works on it anymore.

id kinda like to do a quick release for the cool factor, but am unsure if there is enough room on the shaft with the clockspring still there. i need to look into it more (hence the newbie tech section)

CurtP
08-30-2006, 11:29 AM
Are you sure the horn connection goes through the clock spring? On other cars it has a separate connection to keep the voltage out of the clock spring which may cause an accidental airbag deployment. I've removed the clock spring out of one of my other vehicles without issue; I've just never bothered to look how it's all put together on the ZJ.

OverkillZJ
08-30-2006, 11:32 AM
Yes.

It's a separate wire in the clockspring, which is why it's still working while my airbag/radio/etc failed.

ILikeMud
08-30-2006, 11:57 AM
Joel I thought you were getting an aftermarket wheel?

The steering wheels changed in 96 correct?

canadian_driver
08-30-2006, 11:31 PM
yeah i am going to do an aftermarket one, but after looking at the lenth of the shaft im not sure if its long enoug with the clock spring still there