PDA

View Full Version : A good deal on a TIG welder.. @Sears.com $269.97

ProjectZJOM617T
08-16-2006, 12:54 AM
http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/product.do?cat=Electrical+Shop&pid=00920388000&vertical=TOOL&subcat=Welders&BV_UseBVCookie=Yes

$269.97

It comes with a TIG torch and Argon regulator in addition to the Arc leads and a hard case...

Price a TIG torch and a regulator and compare it to the price of this whole enchilada..

It comes with a CK9V TIG torch. The V means it has a argon shut off valve on the torch head.
http://www.ckworldwide.com/ck9r.htm

An accessory pack.. (CK AK1) Collets, tungsten and cas cups in a hard case. You get two long tungsten of different diameter (.040 & 1/16). Matching collets for the tungsten. Three different size gas cups as well as the long and medium length back caps

Its a DC only Stick and TIG machine.. It really cant do aluminum (need AC capability) but can do everything else quite well.

Its a good machine to learn on before stepping up to something like the Thermal Arc 185... (Which is ALOT more $)

It works quite well.. It takes a little practice to get the scratch start down unlike lift start or high frequency start machines.. However once you have a arc going it works great.. Its a good buy..

c473
08-16-2006, 06:37 AM
Get an 80cf tank of argon to go with it(~$150) and you'll have a great setup. That is a smoikin deal.

nate
08-16-2006, 10:07 AM
85 amps is too small for a TIG machine if you ask me.... really 85 amps is too small for any welder.

Jim311
08-16-2006, 10:45 AM
110v 85 amps..

ProjectZJOM617T
08-16-2006, 05:17 PM
85 amps is too small for a TIG machine if you ask me.... really 85 amps is too small for any welder.

No its not...

The Miller TIG handbook states that for 1/8in materials for corner and butt welds that 60-85 amps is recomended..

This machine will do quality 1/8" plate welds.. Also any time you weld say 1/8 inch to thicker like 1/4"... You gain no strength at all by using more amperage than for 1/8 to 1/8... If you pentrate the 1/4 the same as a 1/4 to 1/4 joint and the 1/8" the same as a 1/8" to 1/8" joint it is the same strength.. Look up the fillet weld dimension recomendation and the amperage recomendations for mixed thickness steel...

Amperage is'nt everything.. Esp for beginners who need to learn alot..
Try doing sheet metal body work on thinner areas like a patch panel butt joint for restoration.. Try a big Mig machine... Then a smaller TIG after practicing on the same thickness practice pieces.....

Its not the ultimate home shop tig machine... That one is the thermal arc 185... Probably close to $2000 when its alll setup.. Sooner or later I will have one... DC & Advanced square wave AC output and a million extra features that confuse the sh&t out of a beginner TIG welder....

For MIG 85amps is too tiny... I recomend 135 atleast... For TIG This is great for most people and esp beginners...

AprilzWarrior
08-16-2006, 05:44 PM
No its not...

The Miller TIG handbook states that for 1/8in materials for corner and butt welds that 60-85 amps is recomended..

This machine will do quality 1/8" plate welds.. Also any time you weld say 1/8 inch to thicker like 1/4"... You gain no strength at all by using more amperage than for 1/8 to 1/8... If you pentrate the 1/4 the same as a 1/4 to 1/4 joint and the 1/8" the same as a 1/8" to 1/8" joint it is the same strength.. Look up the fillet weld dimension recomendation and the amperage recomendations for mixed thickness steel...

Amperage is'nt everything.. Esp for beginners who need to learn alot..
Try doing sheet metal body work on thinner areas like a patch panel butt joint for restoration.. Try a big Mig machine... Then a smaller TIG after practicing on the same thickness practice pieces.....

Its not the ultimate home shop tig machine... That one is the thermal arc 185... Probably close to $2000 when its alll setup.. Sooner or later I will have one... DC & Advanced square wave AC output and a million extra features that confuse the sh&t out of a beginner TIG welder....

For MIG 85amps is too tiny... I recomend 135 atleast... For TIG This is great for most people and esp beginners...

This is all under the appsumption that your using a quality machine... unlike what you linked too... what it does not say is how the POS torch will melt in your hand and send you to the hospital with burn wounds, BUT that might not ever happen with ONLY 25% Duty Cycle (OUCH)
I think I saw a better Homebrew TIG out of old compressor parts and such.

If it can only weld [UP TO 1/8] thats a sorry machine and not worth my money, even if I was a beginner. Frankly Ive could never recommend this to any of my friends. and a Tig is not a TIG unless you have AC.

AW

Jim311
08-16-2006, 05:52 PM
It might be good for a beginner who wants to join 1/8" plate... but a beginner who wants to join 1/4" (which isn't that unreasonable of an expectation) you'd be shit outta luck.

ProjectZJOM617T
08-16-2006, 06:59 PM
I have used the TA 185.. A miller synchrowave and many other machines..

The TA 185 is an awesome machine.. This companies plasma cutters also kick ass.. I have used them...

Have you actually used the dragster 85? I have... Did the homemade machine actually have current control?

Funny I just did a bunch of stuff from 1/16 to 1/8... I also did some 1/4" T joints with some scraps... This was a J groove type of joint.. I made a root pass on the undercut side then a final and then made another pass on the other side of the T... I did some destructive testing via sledge hammer after and the 1/4" gave before the welds...

Could it fit in a tool box drawer?

Also why does every high end TIG machine still have DC in addition to AC.. HMMMM

c473
08-16-2006, 07:20 PM
I think you guys are missing the point. Where else can you get a "quality" tig for that money? It's not for guys that are doing heavy fab work (1/4"), but it will work just fine on tubing (not 1/4"), hence the name. It does an excellent job on light welding duties. I would much rather have this than a 110 mig, it's cleaner and produces better welds. Again, it's not for welding bumbers and 2" 1/4"wall tubing.

AprilzWarrior
08-16-2006, 07:35 PM
The TA 185 is an awesome machine.. This companies plasma cutters also kick ass.. I have used them...

That holds a ton of merit, where are your pics from welding with this machine? Does it even come with a warranty

Have you actually used the dragster 85? I have... Did the homemade machine actually have current control?

Based on its specs its a waste of a hardworking persons money, and yes the homebrew had current control...

Funny I just did a bunch of stuff from 1/16 to 1/8... I also did some 1/4" T joints with some scraps... This was a J groove type of joint.. I made a root pass on the undercut side then a final and then made another pass on the other side of the T... I did some destructive testing via sledge hammer after and the 1/4" gave before the welds...

For this vary reason I dont wheel with (GORs of the world) he though he was a welder too at one point.

Could it fit in a tool box drawer?

:smt046 You KNOW its the bomb when you slide it into your craftsman tool box, I would use it for a foot rest though... More power to ya if you want one, recommending it though...:rolleyes:

Also why does every high end TIG machine still have DC in addition to AC.. HMMMM

You still need Direct Current if your to weld mild steel or ss... OR MAYBE (GASP) use it as a stick welder... I didnt get your point of that comment ?

And as for missing the point, Nope sure didnt.

I think I read in the specs it uses the for a cooler
http://www.tornado-fuelsaver.tv/_img/product/tornado_fuel_saver_large.jpg

My motto... buy cheap get cheap, ANYONE whos put money into their D30 can FULLY understand what Im talking about.

AW

ProjectZJOM617T
08-16-2006, 08:42 PM
I think you guys are missing the point. Where else can you get a "quality" tig for that money? It's not for guys that are doing heavy fab work (1/4"), but it will work just fine on tubing (not 1/4"), hence the name. It does an excellent job on light welding duties. I would much rather have this than a 110 mig, it's cleaner and produces better welds. Again, it's not for welding bumbers and 2" 1/4"wall tubing.

Exactly...

That holds a ton of merit, where are your pics from welding with this machine? Does it even come with a warranty

http://www.thermadyne.com/evolution/category.asp?div=tai

Every welding shop around here carries this brand in addition to Miller and others...

1. I just pulled the dragster 85 out of the UPS box yesterday... I will do some pics soon..
http://www.thermadyne.com/uplFiles/litLibrary/thermalarc/84-2403.pdf

2. I have a friend who is a tech school professor and a late model chasis builder.. He has the Thermal arc 185amp Pro wave machine...

http://www.thermadyne.com/uplFiles/litLibrary/thermalarc/84_2220.pdf

The thermadyne plasma cutters like his are awesome too.. http://www.thermadyne.com/uplFiles/litLibrary/thermaldynamics/63-2504%20CM151%20BRO%202-06.pdf

The last time I used his plasma cutter I tried some 1-1/4 plate.. It cut it like butter and very clean..

I have used a few different machines made by these guys.. Dont be too surprised if I end up with prowave 185 or 300 and a cutmaster 151 of my own..

You said "Tig is not a TIG unless you have AC."

Not true.. In your own words.. "You still need Direct Current if your to weld mild steel or ss."

Its just too bad that all the jeep guys are using so much AL metal for sliders, bumpers and links.. :D I mean they are like going to use the AC side of a TIG machine like way often..:D

AprilzWarrior
08-16-2006, 09:25 PM
Its just too bad that all the jeep guys are using so much AL metal for sliders, bumpers and links.. :D I mean they are like going to use the AC side of a TIG machine like way often..:D

Like Totally :cheer:

:finga:
I have a TIG for aluminum, stick, and speciatly welds, other wise save your money and get a MIG.

Here is my point, Lets say 6 people on this entire board (own) a TIG, and all other welder owners have MIG/Stick they must be "like" ignorant, they made an educated purchase on a versital machine, RATHER than buy a neutered TIG (JMO).

Good job on the misuse of my quote ace... Here is what you said... :cheer:

Also why does every high end TIG machine still have DC in addition to AC HMMMM

You still need Direct Current if your to weld mild steel or ss... OR MAYBE (GASP) use it as a stick welder...

2. I have a friend who is a tech school professor and a late model chasis builder..

Oh gawd, not the "I know" people line...
I read up and its only got a 1year warranty, :smt031

Im done with this thread I said my opinions, thats that.

Like AW OUT!!!:finga:

ProjectZJOM617T
08-17-2006, 01:54 AM
I have a TIG for aluminum, stick, and speciatly welds, other wise save your money and get a MIG.

Here is my point, Lets say 6 people on this entire board (own) a TIG, and all other welder owners have MIG/Stick they must be "like" ignorant, they made an educated purchase on a versital machine, RATHER than buy a neutered TIG (JMO).

I have a MIG.. A tig machine is actually more versatile :smt027 .

An AC + DC one even more so.. These cost about 2x to 4x the cost of a MIG machine.. At the price this went for I just had to get one to practice TIG on and to have something portable for things like welding up the storm damage on the dock when I pull it out for the winter.. ETC..

I like my mig.. However if I am welding 4130 lower links.. They will get TIG welded..

If I am doing thin sheetmetal it will be TIG too since the heat is more focused and will lessen the chances of warpage..

It is no longer just a 1yr warranty... They are now matching millers 3yr warranty...
That was dated info...

I have heard that some things in their line up will be going to 5 years..

AprilzWarrior
08-17-2006, 02:07 AM
I have a MIG.. A tig machine is actually more versatile :smt027 .

An AC + DC one even more so.. These cost about 2x to 4x the cost of a MIG machine.. At the price this went for I just had to get one to practice TIG on and to have something portable for things like welding up the storm damage on the dock when I pull it out for the winter.. ETC..

I like my mig.. However if I am welding 4130 lower links.. They will get TIG welded..

If I am doing thin sheetmetal it will be TIG too since the heat is more focused and will lessen the chances of warpage..

It is no longer just a 1yr warranty... They are now matching millers 3yr warranty...
That was dated info...

I have heard that some things in their line up will be going to 5 years..

Before I go to bed... I gotta say this... THIS TIG (not a good deal IMO) However their "Thermal Dynamics " Plasma cutters ARE the shit, and they "Thermal Dynamics " builds them for Miller, fact.

Its not that Im knocking a noob or busting Thermal Dynamics, just this TIG case in point.

Elvis out...

damn i got some good pills:smt032

AprilzWarrior
08-17-2006, 02:09 AM
An AC + DC one even more so.. These cost about 2x to 4x the cost of a MIG machine..

ohh. and I bet I had a tig just a little longer than you been welding so no preaching required. Infact Im on my 2nd TIG machine.

:drinkers: