PDA

View Full Version : '98 Soundbar installation?

benzj
08-10-2006, 09:28 PM
I have run across a wrecked 5.9 and Im thinking about pulling the soundbar and installing it on my 98 limited.

I was curious to see if anyone had previously taken on this task and wanted to see what is involved. Im assuming the soundbar mounts on the same locations as the factory ceiling mounts do, since there are already 2 plugs in that location.

As for wiring it, I doubt it will be a problem. Were the 98 limiteds pre-wired for soundbars? Or was this only a 5.9 deal.

Thanks.
Bennett

Colorado 5.9
08-10-2006, 09:45 PM
It was probably a 5.9 only thing but you might find some wires. I dought it though. If you want to spend the money you might upgrade the speekes. They aren't all that great.

benzj
08-10-2006, 10:02 PM
It was probably a 5.9 only thing but you might find some wires. I dought it though. If you want to spend the money you might upgrade the speekes. They aren't all that great.

Yeh, Im not about to put the OEM speakers in the soundbar. The wiring is not a concern for me anways, I was just curious to see if they might be there. Im going to wire it anyways, so it doesnt matter.

Can you really hear the effects from the soundbar?---Im trying to decide the quality of speaker and tweeter to put back there.

Thanks!

OverkillZJ
08-10-2006, 10:04 PM
Install soundbar.

Connect wires.

Run wires if needed.

Done.

Total rocket schience!

(I'm drinking, there should be a few asshole posts like this tonight.)

:finga:

Colorado 5.9
08-10-2006, 10:13 PM
Can you really hear the effects from the soundbar?---Im trying to decide the quality of speaker and tweeter to put back there.

Thanks!

Yea you can hear them. Allot better than not having anything back there at all.

The OEM speekers are just adequate.

J B
08-10-2006, 10:19 PM
IIRC, the 5.9 got a specific amp with outputs for the speakers on the soundbar....

Otherwise, the 5.9 audio system was the same as the non-5.9 amped systems.

DJJordache
08-10-2006, 11:28 PM
yes totally get the soundbar! it is much better than the rear door locations.
as for the wiring that just replaces the rear door speakers, or however you want to wire it. all my stuff runs off the amps so I ran my own 12gauge speaker wires, nuthing like overkill:D
I used sheet metal screws for the sides and made my own custom bracket out of aluminum to support the center of the bar that tied into the mount for the rear cargo area lights.
and don't use the stock crapy ones get some good component speakers with crossovers. I mounted the crossovers to the backside of the soundbar.

by using this soundbar you get much better sound imaging quality and the rear passengers can actually hear the music well.

benzj
08-11-2006, 12:04 AM
Install soundbar.

Connect wires.

Run wires if needed.

Done.

Total rocket schience!

(I'm drinking, there should be a few asshole posts like this tonight.)

:finga:

Thanks for the asshole post, kinda figured they would come up w/ this type of post.

But I did manage to get good information, that is why I asked.

Thanks for ya'lls help.

DJJordache
08-11-2006, 10:32 AM
one more thought you said there are already 2 plugs in that location for the sides so you might get lucky and it will all bolt on for your 98, also check for the center mount stud to support the center of the bar. I really like the soundbar and very glad I got it!
JB said the 5.9L got a 6 channel amp(I dunno for sure) so I would not recommend just adding the soundbar speakers in addition to the rear channel on a normal 4 channel system, this would make the amp's load per channel too low and cause it to overheat or die... Mine is setup will all aftermarket amps and new speaker wires routed to each component speaker set to eliminate the small stock wires.