PDA

View Full Version : Why my swampers dont flex

zukinut
08-09-2006, 12:43 PM
Went to a rock quarry today to get a TRUE weight of the zuk. Ive weighed it before but it was at a local trash dump. Anyways, it weighs 3100lbs even. Thats jus as it sat this weekend, still had the spare, and the hilift and my tools. And no doors.

Anways i went to interco's sight. My q78's max load is 2750lbs. One tire will support almost the whole truck. These are never gonna squat. They need to make a special tire for lightweight vehicles or sumthin.

zukinut
08-09-2006, 02:48 PM
Yea, the dont flex/squat at all. Not even at 4psi. Watch the video, youll see what i mean.

OverkillZJ
08-09-2006, 03:26 PM
My Iroks eventually flexed at about 4psi, but I've got to weigh a whole lot more...

Ken L
08-09-2006, 03:28 PM
They need to be broken in. They'll flex but it'll take a while to break them in, especially on such a light vehicle. Read Overkill's comments about his IROKs in Moab in the Phoenix thread.

I run 15psi in mine and they work great, well they're 33s not Qs but still.

Ken L
08-09-2006, 03:28 PM
Sorry Matt, you beat me.

ATL ZJ
08-09-2006, 07:00 PM
will, i say abuse the shit out of them.. pull the valve cores and drive around in some rocks, get them to fold over themselves and wrap up.. they will look really nasty but they'll live. Do that for a while and then air them back up, if that won't do it, nothing will..

zukinut
08-09-2006, 07:23 PM
I pulled the valve cores and drove to the store about 5miles down the road. And i was runnin at least 35-40mph. Did that along time ago. You saw how they flex.

I might go with an mtr next time since they flex so well.

Yea if my zuk weighs 3100lbs, then yalls grands are weighin in at least around 5500lbs.

zukinut
08-09-2006, 07:24 PM
These tires are over a year old and have at least 15,000 miles on them. And i usually run about 10psi on the street.

zukinut
08-09-2006, 07:25 PM
Damn, i keep hitting the submit button somehow. Anyways, they do squat and flex but as soon as they do they rebound and act like a pogo stick.

nate
08-09-2006, 08:02 PM
I run Q78s. They flex fine on my Jeep... does weigh roughly 5000lbs though. I run 10psi in them.

MTRs are overpriced, suck ass in the mud, and aren't even that great on the rocks.

zukinut
08-09-2006, 08:21 PM
Yea, i love the tires. Jus wish they would flex more for me.

ATL ZJ
08-09-2006, 08:31 PM
MT/Rs have impressed me more recently than I thought they ever would.. But maybe it's not the tires, just everything else on the rigs that they are on.. Hope you figure it out will, the Q78s would work great for you if can get them working right. Or just beadlock them and run 0psi.. or just plan on bouncing forever..

zukinut
08-09-2006, 10:04 PM
My wheelbase blows, its either really good or really bad. That has alot to do with the hopping. I know i will never be able to do things like the ledge, etc, if i dont stretch it. BUT with stretching it comes things like figuring out how to mount a fuel tank and other big things like that.Stuff i jus dont want to ge into.

I think preloading the suspension would help. That way it would stay loaded instead of loading and unloading like it does. I think a brace on the front axle with a d ring and preload the supsension with a winch would do wonders. maybe the same with the rear.

Oh well, when i have money to spend i will worry about it. Till then im gonna wheel it like it is.

OverkillZJ
08-09-2006, 10:39 PM
I'm a huge MTR fan. I like my Iroks too, but maybe you're just too lite for them!

nate
08-10-2006, 12:01 AM
You are able to run your tires at 0psi on the street on that Sammy???

I did that once on the Jeep... let the air out... and the rims where on the ground.

zukinut
08-10-2006, 12:51 AM
If i take the cores out they drop, but if i drop them to where the gauge reads 0 they jus kinda sorta flex. I lose alot of ground clearance too.

When i pulled the cores i put enuf air back in to keep the rim off the ground. Id run them like that on the trail but i dont want to keep losin beads. I think if i preload the suspension i will force more weight onto the suspension and thus force more weight on the tires, alot of the bounce actually comes from the front end raring up and causin the rears to grab harder.

When i go to beadlocks im gonna either get another set of q's or get a set of iroks. I want to keep this thing streetable for as long as possible.

Will